ABC islands are among the safest of the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, shortly after posting my comment I wondered why I felt compelled to say anything. This topic has been around forever and no one ever changes their mind and nothing changes. I think I was just irked at the idea of blaming people who are crime victims. Vince, I realize as the owner of a rental unit on Bonaire you have a stake in the issue. I have no financial stake and can speak freely. I agree people should take reasonable steps to avoid being victims but I think you go way too far with you comparative negligence stance.

I like diving Bonaire, but I refuse to pretend the crime isn't a problem or blame someone who leaves their truck locked. For me, it isn't enough of a problem to stay away, but I respect the fact that others have concerns and/or are unwilling to go there. I also simply resent what I perceive as a lack of interest in the problem on Bonaire by some of those who live there or own businesses/property there.

I still go there at this point. I doubt the crime situation will change there, because so few who could change things really care much. So, I will continue to leave nothing of value in the truck and leave the doors unlocked and windows down, because that is how it is on Bonaire. I guess I will look for rental properties with improved security, and never rent an individual condo or house to avoid being a burglary victim. It is sad, and someday I may get tired of not being able to take lunch with me on multiple dives, or being able to leave sunglasses or a cap or towels in a truck, or grow weary of worrying someone may come into my condo during the night. Then I guess I will stop going.

I think the last paragraph is the real point. Each of us will choose when enough is enough. Apparently the authorities on Bonaire [which is now really Holland] don't see the problem as a threat to dive tourism so the thefts will probably escalate.
Yes the same issues exist on other islands [and at home] but we can choose where we live and vacation. It would seem that on an island of 12,000 that the crime against tourists and the underlying causes might even be "easier" to address and at least partially resolve.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom