ABC islands are among the safest of the world

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The real question is: Are you afraid?.... Bonaire impressed me as a place where that threat level was quite low compared to places like Jamaica and St. Croix where I actually felt uncomfortable on a couple occasions while off the beaten path.
Perhaps the REAL question is "WHY are you afraid?". Is it a rational response or an emotional response to being in an unfamiliar environment?
Emotional comfort level varies from person to person depending on their life experiences. If a person has never ventured outside of a 5 star resort without a guide while traveling, they have not really traveled.. they have transported their world to a different location. (not directed at anyone in particular)
We must accept that our natural, but surmountable fear of differences may play a part in feeling unsafe, even when the reality is that we may be much safer in a Caribbean island than we would be in our home town/city.

I agree that the ABC islands are very safe... but doesn't mean your camera is safe from being stolen there. (but heck that could happen anywhere).

just seems the police on Bonaire don't bother doing anything about the petty theft problem.

That article listed Jamacia as one of the most dangerous. Which could be true if you go into the wrong parts of Kingston, etc... but for the most part the tourist areas are very safe. (as long as you stick to the tourist areas).

Mike..I've been on Jamaica & if you remain in an "all inclusive" which has a wall around it topped by broken shards of glass than I'll concur for the most part you are safe. 20 years ago we rented (and paid a fortune for I may add at Christmas time) a stand alone home directly on the beach at Runaway Bay.

We had a live in maid who constantly stole our food. We were bothered daily by the gardener who viewed us as rich Americans and wanted us to buy them stuff. On the beaches, I was cognizant of many attempts to rip you off. I saw the ocean stripped of it's coral, conch shells & sea fans all over.

I've traveled the Carib for well over 30 years, but I must confess that Jamaica was the ONLY place that I missed my .380 semi automatic Beretta.
After 10 days, upon landing at Kennedy airport in NYC, I felt a very strong urge to kiss the ground
being thankful I was back on U.S. soil! We have never returned to vacation in more than 20 years and will never return. That's just my subjective perspective on Jamaica.

I've been to a couple resorts in Jamacia and the are nice. they were walled compunds and for the most part folks left us alone. about the only time you were bothered in there resort if you were walking on the beach on the waterline someone would try to sell you drugs typically.

while we were "out" of the resort, folks were trying to sell us stuff all the time. I hate to be rude to them, but if you even tell them "no thank you" then it's started a small dialog of conversation with them that they use to try to give you reasons/excuses to buy their junk.

I found the easiest thing to say was nothing and avoid them and not reply to them. or just a simple no and don't make eye contact and keep moving. for the most part they will buy that and realize that they need to target their next victum to harrass for a sale.]

but if I go back to Jamaica, I doubt I'll ever leave the resort. so "no worries mon" as they say.

to Driftwood..I read a sad story on Bonaire Talk this week...a fellow got married and was on BON for his honeymoon. He was at Andrea II and locked his car with his wallet and wedding ring and other items. Some thugs broke the window and stole his belongings ruining his trip. Now we all feel bad about this BUT this sort of behavior leads to the thugs behavior. I will let Vince do the Psych 101 chat here (grin) but this is why it's paramount you leave the windows OPEN. Once a thug gets goods from one vehicle, he/she will go to the next car, break the glass in hopes of finding another victim. Seriously who leaves valuables in their cars anymore? I sure as heck don't but sadly this innocent tourist did and it ruined his trip.

Leave the windows OPEN and all valuables in the hotel safe.

Vince, when Air Jamaica flew into Bonaire we used to go to Jamaica for vacation often. We drove all over, explored, mingled with locals and LOVED it. I have lived in Antigua so am accustomed to West Indian culture, dialect and customs so maybe that is why I was in a comfort zone. I will say the JUNTA white govt taxi's drive pure crazy. That was one scary experience driving at night left side right hand drive in Mo Bay..eeeeeeeeeeeeeee

We stayed at overrated Half Moon Bay, lovely wonderful Roundhill and once Air Jamaica put me up at the yucko Holiday Inn when our flight was late. I never do AI and dine strictly local when in de Caribbean...

Irie

Follow my Antigua Bliss

to Driftwood..I read a sad story on Bonaire Talk this week...a fellow got married and was on BON for his honeymoon. He was at Andrea II and locked his car with his wallet and wedding ring and other items. Some thugs broke the window and stole his belongings ruining his trip. Now we all feel bad about this BUT this sort of behavior leads to the thugs behavior. I will let Vince do the Psych 101 chat here (grin) but this is why it's paramount you leave the windows OPEN. Once a thug gets goods from one vehicle, he/she will go to the next car, break the glass in hopes of finding another victim. Seriously who leaves valuables in their cars anymore? I sure as heck don't but sadly this innocent tourist did and it ruined his trip.

Leave the windows OPEN and all valuables in the hotel safe.

Hi Ann,

Your response reinforces the perception that Bonaire has a well deserved reputation for theft. Bonaire needs a change in attitude,

I totally agree that you should keep valuables safe and that a locked car is not that safe. What puzzles me is why Bonaire is the only place I travel where they tell you to not lock your car and leave the windows down. It seems to me that that type of vandalism is tolerated on Bonaire because the locals refuse to address the problem.

I will guarantee you one thing, the current practice of "windows down" has more to do with cutting the losses for the car rental agencies than cutting crime on the island.

Keep on saying that the island is safe and if you are sincere enough, it will be in your own mind.

Specifically, a locked car at a dive site on Bonaire symbolizes & represents to the "perps" of this sort of thing that there are valuables inside. After all, just about everyone leaves the windows down & nothing of value in the vehicles. So a locked car at a dive site will attract certain unsavory types of people who are looking for a quick and non confrontational hit. Many times locked cars do indeed have valuables inside them. And this only serves to perpetrate the behavior of the perps; which is WHY visitors are constantly told, leave windows down & nothing of value inside.

We advise all our guests to lock their front door & utilize the secure safe in our unit when they leave. We have never had any problems. It pays to be on guard, prudent and vigilant. You may be in what you perceive as paradise and "on vacation", but don't throw caution to the wind..human (bad) behavior is universal.

Hmmm, if a locked car signals to the perps that something valuable is inside then wouldn't the same logic apply to hotel rooms? Wouldn't a locked door signal something valuable is inside? If it is sound and reasonable advice to tell people to leave their cars UNLOCKED then why do you tell people to leave their rooms LOCKED?

I have lived on another island and have been to many other Caribbean islands. I recall petty crime being apparent in SXM and Antigua back 23 years ago. It's no better. My friend went to the Mexican Caribbean 20+ years ago and came back saying there were armed guards at her hotel. YIKES..

I can say this, petty crime is an issue on most islands. Is this ok? No...is this the reality of the world, yes. I chose to live in Bonaire because I feel safe there as a single woman and continue to do so today.

Comparing a hotel room to a secluded dive site, IMHO is not the same. Do we have petty crime yes..should you leave valuables in a rental car, no. Should you use hotel safes, yes. Should you lock your hotel doors and windows when sleeping and away yes. I do this in any country I travel.

We work hard for our vacation and want a lovely island experience. It is unfortunate when crime occurs. It changes the whole vibe. I have been a victim of theft and realize the personal violation it creates.

I hope everyone has a great dive trip to Bonaire or wherever your travels lead. Use the same precautions you would use anywhere. :)

Peace...happy diving...off to Anguilla..

Driftwood, what do you suggest to make a positive change? I am not sure where you came to the conclusion that there is an attitude that crime is ok? If I communicated that, I did not mean to in fact. My bread and butter is tourism. I want my clients to come to the island and leave with breathtaking memories, not those of a petty theft. It is not ok on Bonaire or Cape Cod or NYC or Peoria. Crime is the same everywhere.

I don't think anyway feels it's ok to have crime in their community. In the 6 years I have lived in Bonaire I have seen a great community pull to make the island safe. I love the island. The marine park is incredible. The sanitation department comendable. I love the dining, the culture, the tranquilty..it's not a perfect place but it's my home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom