Abandoned at Sea - Sun June 26, 2005 - The Ibis, Dania Beach, Hollywood Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Xanthro:
What you advocate means there is zero, none, nada, zilch in terms of activity. You can only reduce risk, not eliminate and the close you get to eliminating it the more expensive it becomes.
Wrong! What advocate is more responsibility and accountability regarding PREVENTABLE incidents that can be easily prevented by:

1. Making a small investment in DAN tags and practicing a more thorough system of accounting for divers on boats.

2. Everybody being just a tad more considerate of one another on and off the boats and not be too self-absorbed to be good "buddies", boat ops, etc.

I have been looking into the the things my husband and I will have to buy if and when we begin learning how to do diving. The wetsuits, the drysuits, and misc gear and equipment is not cheap (if you want to by new), not to mention the costs of chartering a boat and traveling. If one is going to invest tens of thousands of dollars in this sport, what is that in comparrison to the price of the DAN tags and implementing a tagging system, or better yet, what is the price of taking just a few extra minutes to accurately account for every diver on board before and after a dive? Let me put it to you another way: I recently invested in a top of the line computer for my business which entails heavy use of the Internet for uploading accounts and P & C policies. Now, after making an investment of over $4000 for my "geek gear", would it be silly of me to balk at paying a mere $90 for top of the line Norton anti-virus, anti-spyware programs to protect my computer and client files? See my point here?

If you are so concerned about the safety of the boat, the option is available to purchase Dan Tags for the boat. Instead of complaining and expecting a person/operator to change by complaining, how about assisting and encouraging the change?

Scuba_Jenny:
If you are so concerned about the safety of the boat, the option is available to purchase Dan Tags for the boat. Instead of complaining and expecting a person/operator to change by complaining, how about assisting and encouraging the change?

The tags are free to DAN Business Members.

Terry

That's pretty sarcastic there scubu_jenny. Is that your lack of concern for diver safety showing through?

I still hope you never have the experience yourself.

LOL, Don

Scuba_Jenny:

Thank you so much for posting this information. Being left or being carried away by current is my worst fear. I suggest dive boats use a tag board. Clip numbered tags to each diver as they go in the water; when the diver returns, replace the numbered tag on the board. Bottom line. Never leave the site until the board is full of tags. So simple yet I have never seen a boat use it. Far too often you watch the crew try and count moving heads to the point of frustration.

Again,
Thanks

Anyone subscribed to Undercurrents? Great publication for divers, and particularly in this case. Putting a review of this dive outfit will reach many more divers than just Scubaboard. Word gets out, and bad word of mouth will put the screws to any disreputable outfit like that. Give 'er a try.

Jeddah Aquanaut:
Anyone subscribed to Undercurrents? Great publication for divers, and particularly in this case. Putting a review of this dive outfit will reach many more divers than just Scubaboard. Word gets out, and bad word of mouth will put the screws to any disreputable outfit like that. Give 'er a try.

I believe this was written up in the October 2005 issue of Undercurrents.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom