Abandoned at Sea - Sun June 26, 2005 - The Ibis, Dania Beach, Hollywood Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You didn't state whether this was a PADI operation or not, but having experienced somewhat of a same situation in the past, I reported the guilty to PADI. They WILL conduct an investigation. You owe it to future divers to at least report them!

Mark
PADI Master Diver

I prefer to dive off of boats that do not carry large amounts of people. No more than ten is good for me. Of course, there is economy of scale with the large capacity boat.

After 13 pages of this thread a few thoughts. Not too long ago, and this happened, few would have heard about or discussed the significance of such an event. This forum certainly raises everyone's awareness. As a diver left at sea, "just a few miles off shore", with an out going current and a setting sun I am VERY aware of the feelings this situation can cause. Anger, fear and panic are not strong enough to convey what happens when you see your boat departing over the horizon, and hours go by before rescue returns. The group of Japanese divers lost in Palau comes to mind. Dive operators are responsible for the lives of their passengers, and must be held accountable. As mentioned, there are numerous methods of counting in and out of the water, but most importantly, we divers must insist upon some method of id and diving status. We need to take responsibility for our safety, if there is a real or just a perceived safety issue. Everyone wins. Divers dive, the boat moves on full and happy and there are no tragedies.

My wife and I tend to be very load if we are in a big group, that way everybody will remember you if you are not on board!

Divers also need to make their own rescue easier and more probable.

You never know what might happen to the boat or the captain (boat might sink or be disabled, captain might have some type of medical event that disables him).

While accountability systems are great, and certainly needed, everybody who goes out into open water needs to be able to make themselves very visible with large, bright SMBs, lights, strobes and anything else that might be necessary.

You never know when something will happen that leaves you out alone on the water.

Terry

mmajor:
accountable. As mentioned, there are numerous methods of counting in and out of the water, but most importantly, we divers must insist upon some method of id and diving status. We need to take responsibility for our safety, if there is a real or just a perceived safety issue. Everyone wins. Divers dive, the boat moves on full and happy and there are no tragedies.

My two cents:

(1) There should be some listing of boats and operators that have left divers behind. No discussion, just names. That way it will be easy to quickly ascertain whether one wants to go on a particular boat.

(2) There should be some listing of boats and operators that fail to do a roll call. No discussion, just names. That way it will be easy to quickly ascertain whether one wants to go on a particular boat.

Saipanman:
Also, I like the idea of getting plastic numbers clipped to each diver's bcd, and the boat doesn't move until all the numbers are back on the pegboard..
:classic:
I still don't understand why every dive boat doesn't follow this protocol. Laziness and apathy, I guess.

ItsBruce:
My two cents:

(1) There should be some listing of boats and operators that have left divers behind. No discussion, just names. That way it will be easy to quickly ascertain whether one wants to go on a particular boat.

(2) There should be some listing of boats and operators that fail to do a roll call. No discussion, just names. That way it will be easy to quickly ascertain whether one wants to go on a particular boat.

How about adding a list of boats that have a high mortality rate? Yup. There is one in South Florida that has a habit of unsafe diving practices.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom