Abandoned at Sea - Sun June 26, 2005 - The Ibis, Dania Beach, Hollywood Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

djanni

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Abandoned at Sea on Sunday June 26, 2005 - Aboard the Ibis, operated by Southeast Oceanic Services, Dania Beach, Hollywood FL.

Twenty four divers aboard. Second dive of the morning. Barracuda Reef. Drift Dive. Five groups. Some were Instructors with students. One was a dive club from Naples each group had a dive flag.

My wife and I were 1 of those groups with our own flag. We were down 1 hour and 4 minutes (AL80's) according to my computer. Upon surfacing we see the Ibis about 300 to 400 yards away. We waive our dive flag in the air. Then we decide to inflate our sausages, long ones too. For about 10 minutes we hang there waiving everything we have.

Then the Ibis heads back toward land. Can you imaging that feeling?

Thank God there was a small private boat anchored some 80 to 100 yards away. It took at least 20 minutes but we swam to the private boat who invited us aboard and radioed the Coast Guard. About 5 minutes later the Coast Guard radioed back saying they had talked to the Ibis and she was coming back for us. At least another 15 minutes or so and the Ibis arrived.

The Captain, Neil, apologized profusely and seemed very sincere. Aria, who we discovered was supposed to do a head count said she just miss counted because of all the moving around. She said she was sorry but she did not take responsibility saying it was everyones fault. Neil took full responsibility just as he should have. He called again the next day to apologize again. I asked him what he was doing to ensure this didn't happen again. He said we've talked about it and we're "calling roll" from now on. He asked me if there was anything he could do for me. I said yes, promise me you will "call roll" and not just do head counts and he said he promised.

So the main reason I'm posting this report is because I happen to know, as reported to me by a member of this board that Neil has not kept his promise. On a dive yesterday they were counting heads again.

That boat is large. Lot's of divers. Counting heads is another accident waiting to happen. I encourage anyone who goes out on that boat to tell Neil they expect a roll call and mention this incident if you want to. I know of no other way to effect change in his behavior.

If you do dive the Ibis and you don't make that request - I can only wish you luck.

BTW: The Coast Guard is conducting an investigation. We've talked to them by phone twice now. We know who the owner of the boat is and we've talked to that highly unpleasent and uncaring individual.

Don

I have posted this report in 3 forums.

I am sorry for your experience but I am glad that you guys are alright. I will make sure I do not go out on the Dive Charter while I am in the area for the next two weeks. Thank you for the information and again I am glad you guys are alright.

When i first read your report I thought "acidents happen, the captain was sincere, what a jerk for posting this here" and I thought your request was totally reasonable, but that posting it here was not. Then I read your part that role call was not being done. I cannot for the life of me figure out why a DM would not do a roll call, it seems ridiculous and risky. I am sorry you had to go through that experience and even more sorry to hear that this captain is not keeping his promise and that people don't know about his history. Sounds like you might not want to post anything more, and not comment, and get a lawyer.

I was diving aboard the Ocean View the same morning and heard, overthe radio, the conversation with the Ibis and the Coast Guard about the missing divers that were found by another boat. When contacted and asked if he knew he had missing divers and that they were found by another boat, the Capt. flat out lied to the Coast Guard and told them that he knew you were missing and was conducting a search.

When asked why he didn't contact the CG, he said he tried and got no reply.

No excuse for not doing a roll call. I won't dive a charter that doesn't.

Thanks for the heads up. I certainly will never dive with them.
I just love that attitude. "We already have your money, who cares if you die?"
I think DAN tags should be mandatory.

The most comfortable large dive boats I’ve been on take the roll call a step further with a checkout list that each individual MUST personally initial when they get back on the boat. It may take a few seconds longer but it eliminates the possibility that a DM accidentally hears the wrong thing or checks off the wrong name in the confusion of divers getting back on the boat. I certainly feel better in the water knowing that the boat is not leaving the site until my initials are written on the sheet.

sharpenu:
When contacted and asked if he knew he had missing divers and that they were found by another boat, the Capt. flat out lied to the Coast Guard and told them that he knew you were missing and was conducting a search.
Lied to the Coast Guard. Lied to Don Janni about doing roll calls in the future. At least he's consistent. :wink:

Bill51:
The most comfortable large dive boats I’ve been on take the roll call a step further with a checkout list that each individual MUST personally initial when they get back on the boat. It may take a few seconds longer but it eliminates the possibility that a DM accidentally hears the wrong thing or checks off the wrong name in the confusion of divers getting back on the boat. I certainly feel better in the water knowing that the boat is not leaving the site until my initials are written on the sheet.
That MIGHT have prevented the Southern California incident where an erroneous roll call logged someone back onto a boat, then a second erroneous entry by the DM logged the diver as starting the 2nd dive, while in reality he was still in the water at the 1st dive site.

People can find ways to screw up any supposedly foolproof system. Character and integrity matter.

Bill51:
The most comfortable large dive boats I’ve been on take the roll call a step further with a checkout list that each individual MUST personally initial when they get back on the boat.

When diving the GBR, we had to sign in and out of the water, and the boat didn't move until everyone had signed out. I thought that was excellent.

Also, I like the idea of getting plastic numbers clipped to each diver's bcd, and the boat doesn't move until all the numbers are back on the pegboard.

Seems to me that either way (or, for that matter, combining both) would ensure that nobody was ever left behind.

"...as reported to me by a member of this board that Neil has not kept his promise. On a dive yesterday they were counting heads again."

Don,

I dived with them on Friday night and I can tell you all they did was a head count, no roll call was taken.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom