Abandoned at Sea - Sun June 26, 2005 - The Ibis, Dania Beach, Hollywood Fl.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Update:

On Tuesday of this week the Coast Guard informed me that there are only 70 cases ahead of the Ibis incident (1). Wow! Well, I guess that's good news in the sense that it will, in fact, get investigated.

ROLL-CALLS: As this story describes, we were left out there because the crew of the Ibis half heartedly performed head counts instead of following more exacting safety proceedures such as roll-calls. After the incident, the Captian of the Ibis said they were going to do roll calls in the future to ensure nothing like this ever happened again. However, he didn't keep his promise for very long. Within a week of the incident, as noted in this thread, they stopped doing roll calls.

On Monday of this week a writer, who's independently investigating the incident in consideration of publishing an article, told me an individual who uses the Ibis from time-to-time, said they are, in fact, doing roll calls. It would be nice if anyone else could verify that.

I sure hope that's true. The real reason I'm telling you this is perhaps the members of this board have more power to effect change than I originally thought. I hope the crew of the Ibis has heard of this post enough times that it's gotten their attention. If that's true it is very satisfying to me and my wife.

I propose we continue the effort. Since June 26th, we've been on 1 other dive trip and our next is in September. The point is we've had the opportunity to interview some dive operators.

If you want to have a little fun and at the same time let dive operators know how you feel and what your concerns are ask this question first: How do you insure all divers are onboard following a dive? If you'll ask that question I think you'll be amazed, mortified or amused by the answers you will get.

We called 5 dive operators in Pensacola and not a single one said they do roll-calls.
To the first 4 of them, I would say; "That's the wrong answer." "If you don't do roll-calls we don't dive with you." Would you believe they just said okay, thanks for calling and bye bye. The 5th one we called said "we'll do a roll call if that's what you want." We had to ask for it. But we got it. We interviewed 8 in Cozumel before making a decision based primarially on the reply to that answer. Okay, a few more calls than usual but think of the fun you'll have.

So, have a little fun by asking that question and increase awareness of the issue at the same time.

Here's another plus - if you're comfortable and confident that the boat will be there when you surface it will help you concerve air and increase your bottom time.

(1) The Coast Guard calls it an incident even though ScubaBoard thinks of it as being no more than a Near Miss or Lesson Learned. Can you tell it bothers me that Scubaboard moved the thread to this forum? Especially when you consider the content of other posts in the Accidents and Incidents Forum.

The Coast Guard calls it an incident even though ScubaBoard thinks of it as being no more than a Near Miss or Lesson Learned. Can you tell it bothers me that Scubaboard moved the thread to this forum? Especially when you consider the content of other posts in the Accidents and Incidents Forum.

It's an incident. Near miss would have been you showing up as the boat's pulling anchor.

All the boat dives I've been on here in SoCal have had roll calls...I thought that was standard. Maybe I've been lucky.

To the Ibis operators: If you care, they'll come back.

Don Janni ... scary to read / contemplate being left behind , glad it worked out ok this time , gives me one more question to ask the boat (like O2 on board , can I see it?)

ScubaBoard ... Good to know that this board / discussions has a positive effect for diver safety

DAN tags ... Too expensive to maybe save someones life???!!!

Not Lifethreatening .... what if they had D.C.I. ???

Thanks
DB

um... Did no one else go to summer camp as a youngster. wanna go in the pool , buddy tags , buddy check every 30 min swim to your buddy on the whistle grab hands and hold em up for roll call. a seperate board for in and out of the pool ,,,
Wanna take out a canoe ,, same thing. on the rifle range same thing.

Why is it SO difficult for a dive boat to get a piece of wood and come cup hooks screwed into it get a sheet of plastic and make some tags up tags are on the check in board ,, as you and you buddy come out they go on the return board. It is completely unexcuseable that somone be left behind. If you shorted them a dollar paying you way dont you think they would notice RIGHT AWAY?

If you had swam up to my boat in that situation I dont know what I would do. probly start her up and run you in myself to the dive boats dock. In your place I dont think i would have wanted to even re board the boat for fear of going to jail.

I dont understand why tagging-in and out is not a requirment. Its a few dollars of equipment, and its a almost foolproof way to keep accurate count.

Don,

Whoa, finally came here to read about your incident.....I would be furious too, and I am dissapointed, concerned, and confused that neither the owners of Ibis, nor the Captain have posted a response to these boards....... The wicked flee as the righteous pursueth.

I am glad everything worked out for you and your better half. Great Post. With my situation (that got moved to this boad too), we were angry with ourselves. Our deal was self-imposed. I would be really p'd if someone else's irresponsibility was to blame for me getting lost at sea, especially if I was paying them to assure my safety!

Tom

fpsndiver:
Don,

Whoa, finally came here to read about your incident.....I would be furious too, and I am dissapointed, concerned, and confused that neither the owners of Ibis, nor the Captain have posted a response to these boards....... The wicked flee as the righteous pursueth.

I am glad everything worked out for you and your better half. Great Post. With my situation (that got moved to this boad too), we were angry with ourselves. Our deal was self-imposed. I would be really p'd if someone else's irresponsibility was to blame for me getting lost at sea, especially if I was paying them to assure my safety!

Tom

Tom, Nice note and thanks for coming over to take a look. Well, we both know 2 people, 4 counting our dive buddy's, who won't be making the same mistakes twice.

Don

Don Janni:
Abandoned at Sea on Sunday June 26, 2005 - Aboard the Ibis, operated by Southeast Oceanic Services, Dania Beach, Hollywood FL.

Twenty four divers aboard. Second dive of the morning. Barracuda Reef. Drift Dive. Five groups. Some were Instructors with students. One was a dive club from Naples each group had a dive flag.

My wife and I were 1 of those groups with our own flag. We were down 1 hour and 4 minutes (AL80's) according to my computer. Upon surfacing we see the Ibis about 300 to 400 yards away. We waive our dive flag in the air. Then we decide to inflate our sausages, long ones too. For about 10 minutes we hang there waiving everything we have.

Then the Ibis heads back toward land. Can you imaging that feeling?

Thank God there was a small private boat anchored some 80 to 100 yards away. It took at least 20 minutes but we swam to the private boat who invited us aboard and radioed the Coast Guard. About 5 minutes later the Coast Guard radioed back saying they had talked to the Ibis and she was coming back for us. At least another 15 minutes or so and the Ibis arrived.

The Captain, Neil, apologized profusely and seemed very sincere. Aria, who we discovered was supposed to do a head count said she just miss counted because of all the moving around. She said she was sorry but she did not take responsibility saying it was everyones fault. Neil took full responsibility just as he should have. He called again the next day to apologize again. I asked him what he was doing to ensure this didn't happen again. He said we've talked about it and we're "calling roll" from now on. He asked me if there was anything he could do for me. I said yes, promise me you will "call roll" and not just do head counts and he said he promised.

So the main reason I'm posting this report is because I happen to know, as reported to me by a member of this board that Neil has not kept his promise. On a dive yesterday they were counting heads again.

That boat is large. Lot's of divers. Counting heads is another accident waiting to happen. I encourage anyone who goes out on that boat to tell Neil they expect a roll call and mention this incident if you want to. I know of no other way to effect change in his behavior.

If you do dive the Ibis and you don't make that request - I can only wish you luck.

BTW: The Coast Guard is conducting an investigation. We've talked to them by phone twice now. We know who the owner of the boat is and we've talked to that highly unpleasent and uncaring individual.

Don

I have posted this report in 3 forums.

Holly ***t , me and 5 friends just dove with them yesterday!!! 8/14/05 . we did a wreck and a drift dive. and YES they are calling row . I was telling my group how nice and attentive the crew was (I ussually find all crews about the same) and that I and and the group will definetly be back!! , we had a great dive.well , Im glad they learn their lesson from your experience. glad everything turn out great!!.theyre a couple of young guys so they will learn from this.

Nice to hear a positive report. Thanks for taking the time to update us.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom