Aahhh! Too Many stickies!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ann Marie:
I do like the idea of the links in the first post as well as combining the dates and trip locations in one poll (the threads do tend to get many posts are grow quite long but also are viewed quite a bit).

Look Robert----I agreed with you! I won't shoot you (now I might keep your BBQ tools! :wink: ) Seriously, I do have them all nice and clean waiting with the other condiments to go home!

My gripe is moving the threads into the 'trips and happenings' as I don't think anyone ever looks there. Anyone? Anyone?

Looks like they are back, but not stickies, you guys are confusing me.........what are we supposed to post in the SoCal forum other than trips and Happenings??? Remove that section rather.

Ann Marie:
My gripe is moving the threads into the 'trips and happenings' as I don't think anyone ever looks there. Anyone? Anyone?
Shhh! You'll make Laurel sad! I think that if the threads are linked, they will get viewed in that forum, then maybel people will start using it. It's a resource that is underutilized.

I've just moved all of the threads back to the main SoCal forum. I'll leave them "unstuck" until we decide as a group what we want done. I can move them again later, make them sticky, link them all to a single sticky, etc.

Ken was not trying to be heavy handed. He just thought that he was doing what everyone wanted and what seems to be working for many other forums on the board (like the Florida Conch Divers).

This is your board and we just want it to be how you like it.

So, it seems that there is agreement that covering the first page in stickies is not user friendly and defeats the purpose of making sticky threads.

What does not seem to be clear yet is how to handle this.

When we all decide, then I'll help accomplish it.

Christian

saf_25:
I agree - lots of stickies lately! I was going to suggest a "wrinkles/upcoming dive trips" subforum, but we actually already have a "trips and happenings...socal" one. Does it ever get used? Maybe move all Wrinkles dives related threads there? Not to pick on you, Ana, but they do take up a lot of room....

:11: its not picking on me so no worries..... The monthly Wrinkles Dive is a name and really has as much to do with me as everyone else on the board.

I actually agree and think there are too many threads for the Wrinkles Dive. I was actually just speaking with a moderator about how the point of the dive could be getting lost with so many different threads about it. There seems to be a new thing of having a new thread for each part of the dive like date, place, and so forth....It is much simpler when put into one thread like it use to be I think. Relevant or important info is usually repeated for clarification anyways so it isn’t lost within the thread.

Part of the reason the Wrinkles Dive is so fun...is because it is simple with no hassle…. you look at the thread and decide if you want to participate or not. It started by just a group of people wanting to get together to dive. It’s always nice to meet new people and I have through going to the Wrinkles Dive. It is something I plan to participate in as much as my schedule permits.

I personally feel that the thread should not be posted in the Trips and Happenings Forum. I think that forum is not used and a waste of space in my opinion. The dive maybe even should not even be a sticky. Most of us who participate in the dive post in that thread almost daily anyways so its not like it will disappear in the forum. It wasn’t a sticky before and has always seemed to remain within the first page of the forum. It never was a sticky before and I think participation was still ok. Better now though. I like it being a sticky but don’t mind either way.

Robert Phillips:
I never once suggested,in any of my posts, to hide our get together dive postings. On the contrary, I suggested that we keep a main thread as a sticky and link to the various spin off posts that come from the main thread. Where are you guys getting this stuff from :11:
I know you didn't suggest anything be hidden, Robert... it was just my opinion that it WOULD be "hidden" in "Trips and Happenings" because it is at a lower level of sub-forum than "SoCal" is... and I think people may not go below SoCal most of the time...

Robert:
You put the current dive plan details as a sticky in the main forum, the spin-offs go to Trips and Happenings and you edit the main post with links to the spin off polls and what not. Nothing is hidden, nothing disappears!
While that makes sense, I still would like to see the main thread in its entirety remain in SoCal, so everyone can see all the posts... I agree that spin-offs, like voting for dates and boats, etc. can go in "trips..." with a link in the main thread. This will be a bit more work, because it does NOT work when a link is buried in the middle pages of a thread... the FIRST post of the thread has to be updated with a link in order for it to be easy to see... for example, in the La Jolla thread, the link to the Calendar RSVP was somewhere buried in the middle of the thread, and it was hard to find...
Robert:
I'm not trying to get rid of these events or hamper anyones ability to attend them. I'm just had a problem with 8 sticky posts and 5 on one topic. Shoot me now!
How could I shoot you? You added all that Tecate to my ice chest on the last dive extravaganza :10: !!

I think we are all trying to work to improve the forum as it grows. Christian will come up with the best solution, I am sure :)!

Robert Phillips:
The Trips and Happenings forum is a Sub-Forum of the SoCal forum and has not been utilized because all the posts end up in here where they kind of 'dirty' the place up.

"Dirty the place up"? :11: Hmmm....let's see, posts from members on their diving forum, about diving, and viewed by other diving forum members.... doesn't sound like it's dirtying the place up to me. :eyebrow: I do agree, the stickies were getting excessive, but that could have been handled the way Headhunter started it, i.e. addressing the isssue, making suggestions, and asking for member input. My concern was with the quick removal and moving of the aforementioned threads, without the input from ScubaBoard members.

Robert Phillips:
Take the 'Wrinkles Boat Dive poll' thread for an example. 8 people posted in that thread and it was for a planned trip in January or February. Do you think that needed to be a sticky at the top of the forum?

Actually, no :D I don't personally feel that they need to be stickies, that wasn't the issue (see above). I would absolutely cast my vote though, in favor of keeping one main Wrinkles thread going each month, and linking as appropriate from there.

Robert Phillips:
Look how clean Ken made OUR forum. I love it!

And it's right for you to love it, realizing of course, that others may not agree with your opinion. There my friend is the rub. :11: I value your opinion, as I do others, but our views on what is or is not trash differ. Not to belabor the point, but it wasn't someone elses opinion that concerned me, it was the decision without input from others.

I can speak from first hand knowledge, that I did not at first particpate in the Wrinkles dives. I have limited time to spend on the Board, so I don't read every post. I have to admit though, after seeing so much feedback and the many subsequent posts about the dives, that I got interested and read everything. I'm glad I did, because I've had a wonderful time and have met many wonderful friends. As mentioned by others, putting 'all' the Wrinkles posts in the trip section would hurt the turnout for the dives, and deny others the opportunities and fun I've discovered by joining in. To me, the Wrinkles dives 'ARE' ScubaBoard.

John-Boy

For now why don't I make one of the Wrinkles threads sticky in the main SoCal forum.

I won't do anything right away, but maybe you could all informally cast your vote as to which one to make "sticky" for now. I don't mind switching them later either. So, we could start with one and rotate it out.

For instance, I don't think that the "date" has been decided yet, so that could be made sticky. Once it has been decided, then the "place" can be decided, so that poll would replace the "date" sticky. Once the "place" is set another thread could take over until that dive day is over. The first post in the last thread that "rotates in" could have links to the polls and the calendar for easy reference.

What I've done in the last paragraph is tried to mirror (to the best of my recollection) what seems to have happened for the last couple of Wrinkles Dives.

We could continue to discuss how it could be done better in this thread and just let the old way keep going the way it did before until we make a decision. It seems like the only thing that happened differently this time was that "sticky madness" set in and the focus on "one task at a time was lost". So, we'd just keep it down to one sticky at a time.

I just want the fun of a Wrinkles Dive to remain the most important thing in the forum and the "management" of the process to take a back seat to the fun.

Let me know what you all think.

Christian

headhunter:
Let me know what you all think.

Christian

Sounds like a grand idea to me! :eyebrow: Maybe we'll get back to how it ran before everything got sticky-fied :dazzler1:

John-Boy

krowsea:
"Dirty the place up"? Hmmm....let's see, posts from members on their diving forum, about diving, and viewed by other diving forum members.... doesn't sound like it's dirtying the place up to me. :eyebrow: I do agree, the stickies were getting excessive, but that could have been handled the way Headhunter started it, i.e. addressing the isssue, making suggestions, and asking for member input. My concern was with the quick removal and moving of the aforementioned threads, without the input from ScubaBoard members.

Actually, no I don't personally feel that they need to be stickies, that wasn't the issue (see above). I would absolutely cast my vote though, in favor of keeping one main Wrinkles thread going each month, and linking as appropriate from there.
And it's right for you to love it, realizing of course, that others may not agree with your opinion. There my friend is the rub. I value your opinion, as I do others, but our views on what is or is not trash differ. Not to belabor the point, but it wasn't someone elses opinion that concerned me, it was the decision without input from others.
<snip>

John-Boy
John, I think you are missunderstanding my point. The whole point of my post was to do something about the stickies, not get rid of or hide threads that belong here. All of the posts are valuable and should be where they are seen. They get bumped when people post to them and move down the page when they don't get posted to.
My reference to the place being 'dirty' was regarding the amount of stickies (see title of thread!) I would never consider anyones threads in this forum, or any other for that matter, as trash.

When the post got moved, it didn't occur to me at the time that they may have been considered lost to some people. There still needs to be the links in the main thread directing people to them. (See my response down the page)

sapphire:
I know you didn't suggest anything be hidden, Robert... it was just my opinion that it WOULD be "hidden" in "Trips and Happenings" because it is at a lower level of sub-forum than "SoCal" is... and I think people may not go below SoCal most of the time...
I agree. The Main thread for any upcoming event should be in the main forum, even as a sticky, just in case we get some flood of threads in that cause it to get shuffled down the line.

sapphire:
While that makes sense, I still would like to see the main thread in its entirety remain in SoCal, so everyone can see all the posts... I agree that spin-offs, like voting for dates and boats, etc. can go in "trips..." with a link in the main thread. This will be a bit more work, because it does NOT work when a link is buried in the middle pages of a thread... the FIRST post of the thread has to be updated with a link in order for it to be easy to see... for example, in the La Jolla thread, the link to the Calendar RSVP was somewhere buried in the middle of the thread, and it was hard to find...

How could I shoot you? You added all that Tecate to my ice chest on the last dive extravaganza !!

I think we are all trying to work to improve the forum as it grows. Christian will come up with the best solution, I am sure
If the spin-off threads are posted in the Trips and Happenings, how hard is it to edit the main post of the MAIN thread (this would be the top post I am reffering to, not burying it on page 3 or 4 of the thread) with links to the spin-off threads? Am I explaining this clearly or do I have marbles in my keyboard? :wink: If our SoCal forum moderators can edit the FIRST POST in the thread with the proper links to the spin -off threads, people will find them no matter where there are placed. They will be posted to and stay alive as long as they have current topics. Do you guys see where I am going with this?

By the way. I don't know how many people got to catch the irony of this thread being made a sticky after I first posted it. Ah, I laughed for days!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom