Aahhh! Too Many stickies!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that we should have some input into our forum. When I looked at the trips and happenings forum (only my second time since membership), I saw that there was only one 'sticky'. That sticky happened to be a poll that I started but never meant to be or requested to be a sticky. I think that those posts usually stay at the top since there is always someone posting something new.

I do like the idea of the links in the first post as well as combining the dates and trip locations in one poll (the threads do tend to get many posts are grow quite long but also are viewed quite a bit). Perhaps if we had one person that would assume the duties of organizing each dive it would keep the polls and threads at a minimum. That person should be familiar with the area/dive sites/LDS/etc... This person would only be responsible for that months dive.

I don't like the idea of moving all of the discussion threads into trips and happenings. I don't think that too many people look at that forum. It is also my opinion that by not having the discussions in the main forum we may be limiting people that would like to do a Wrinkle's Dive but have not joined us for one as of yet. I say the more the merrier for the Wrinkle's Dives and keep it in the main forum.

If we are going to be picky about protocol, shouldn't this thread be in the whine and cheese forum? :wink:

krowsea:
That seems quite heavy handed in my book, and seems to be a decision made without input from the members, who this forum is for. Headhunter posted his views in the post prior to yours, and asked for input from Scubaboard members. This seems reasonable. In the next post, you make the decision, or so it appears, to make the choice for us, without input. This seems unreasonable.

The Scubaboard members aren't here to give Moderators something to do :eyebrow: , in reality, the Moderators are here to assist members with questions and problems, and 'moderate' those who may be heavyhanded or out of line. In my opinion, Moderators should act in such a way that they themselves don't need to be 'moderated'.

I think you should return the Wrinkles post to their original location, and do whatever the members decide. This issue needs to be left open for a reasonable amount of time, to allow those members who are active here, to voice their opinion. Afterall, it is 'their' board.

John-Boy
Something needed to be done about it John. The Trips and Happenings forum is a Sub-Forum of the SoCal forum and has not been utilized because all the posts end up in here where they kind of 'dirty' the place up. Take the 'Wrinkles Boat Dive poll' thread for an example. 8 people posted in that thread and it was for a planned trip in January or February. Do you think that needed to be a sticky at the top of the forum? If links to the spin-off threads are posted in the main thread, people can still find them without having to see an inordinate amount of unnescessary threads at the top of the forum.
Look how clean Ken made OUR forum. I love it!
Maybe if you had some other suggestions as to what to do with the mess that was there? Or if you think it was okay, lets hear some constructive input. What Ken has done can most likely be undone if the majority of the members think it should return to the way it was. But several people have stated that it was becoming a problem.
Robert

Robert Phillips:
Take the 'Wrinkles Boat Dive poll' thread for an example. 8 people posted in that thread and it was for a planned trip in January or February. Do you think that needed to be a sticky at the top of the forum?

As I said in the above post, as the original poster/poll starter I did NOT make that post a sticky. If polls are automatically turned into stickies then perhaps that should change. But as a supporting member of Scubaboard and of the SoCal forum I am not going to apologize for posting something that has to do with divers in SoCal. If you don't want to look at a thread then just scroll down to the next.
:10:

Robert,

I totally agree with you about the numerous and outdated "stickies"... however, I agree with Ann Marie that this forum is what we are all used to looking at for "get-together" dives, including the Wrinkles dives, Catalina day dives, etc... AND I think that a lot of new people have joined us because they saw the threads, read the posts and realized it would be a good time! I hate to do anything that hides these very fun activities... I have met SO many nice people this year through this forum :)!

So, I like some of yours and some of Christian's suggestions... make each trip have ONE sticky, with links to sub polls or reports after it is over, etc... BUT I think it should be in the main SoCal forum where we are all used to seeing it.

The problem with putting it into the "Trips and Happenings" sub-forum, as I see it, is that you can only see ONE thread, the latest one... and sometimes that is not enough to encourage people to go in there and read the sub-forum... therefore not as widely used by the Kelp Divers, anyway.

And we all need to remember to clean up our "stickies" along with our dive gear, after the dive is over...

jennifer

In the top 15 threads of the SoCal forum, I have counted 6 more that should be moved to 'Trips and Happenings". These include:
December Olympus Mtg.
San Diego Boat Dive to the Coronados
Diving San Diego Sunday 11/28..Boomers
Need a Dive Buddy Nov-Jan San Diego
26Nov04 Santa Monica Breakwall Dive
Diving tomorrow Morning

Edit: I don't want these threads moved but wanted to make a point.

Ann Marie:
In the top 15 threads of the SoCal forum, I have counted 6 more that should be moved to 'Trips and Happenings". These include:
December Olympus Mtg.
Diving tomorrow Morning

Please moderators, don't move them... let's resolve the initial issue before moving things all over first...

jennifer

Ann Marie:
As I said in the above post, as the original poster/poll starter I did NOT make that post a sticky. If polls are automatically turned into stickies then perhaps that should change. But as a supporting member of Scubaboard and of the SoCal forum I am not going to apologize for posting something that has to do with divers in SoCal. If you don't want to look at a thread then just scroll down to the next.
:10:
Whoa! Slow down Tiger! I was just using that post as an example. I was not blaming you for making the post a sticky, asking you to appologize for posting it, nor was I casting aspersions about the post itself. It has definate value to this forum and it's members, but you obviously agree it should not be a sticky post. You know me Ann Marie, why would you take that great of an offense from this?
If being a supporting member means you get deferential treatment then silence me. I don't think that is the case though.

Ann Marie:
December Olympus Mtg.
Diving tomorrow Morning
How many of those posts are sticky? If someone wants to get really nit-picky they could move those where they think they belong, or they can let them move down the list into obscurity until the original poster bumps them or some one posts to the thread. This is about sticky posts. The board is not that hard to navigate, when you spend some time here. Adding links to a main thread to direct people to spin-off thread is really easy to do.

By the way, the Whine Cheese forum is to discuss stuff like spelling errors or people ordering tomato juice on airplanes, this lame rant was specific to this forum.

Robert,
I didn't take offense and never meant to suggest that I should get preferred treatment (though now that you mention it... :wink: ). Sorry if it seemed that way. Sometimes without voice inflection it is hard to get the right point across--I did end my post with a kiss!

Were all the posts that were moved stickies? How does one go about posting a sticky? I agree that stickies SHOULD be limited but I don't think the threads should be moved.

sapphire:
Robert,

I totally agree with you about the numerous and outdated "stickies"... however, I agree with Ann Marie that this forum is what we are all used to looking at for "get-together" dives, including the Wrinkles dives, Catalina day dives, etc... AND I think that a lot of new people have joined us because they saw the threads, read the posts and realized it would be a good time! I hate to do anything that hides these very fun activities... I have met SO many nice people this year through this forum :)!

So, I like some of yours and some of Christian's suggestions... make each trip have ONE sticky, with links to sub polls or reports after it is over, etc... BUT I think it should be in the main SoCal forum where we are all used to seeing it.

The problem with putting it into the "Trips and Happenings" sub-forum, as I see it, is that you can only see ONE thread, the latest one... and sometimes that is not enough to encourage people to go in there and read the sub-forum... therefore not as widely used by the Kelp Divers, anyway.

And we all need to remember to clean up our "stickies" along with our dive gear, after the dive is over...

jennifer
I never once suggested,in any of my posts, to hide our get together dive postings. On the contrary, I suggested that we keep a main thread as a sticky and link to the various spin off posts that come from the main thread. Where are you guys getting this stuff from :11: You put the current dive plan details as a sticky in the main forum, the spin-offs go to Trips and Happenings and you edit the main post with links to the spin off polls and what not. Nothing is hidden, nothing disappears!
I'm not trying to get rid of these events or hamper anyones ability to attend them. I'm just had a problem with 8 sticky posts and 5 on one topic.
Shoot me now!

Ann Marie:
Robert,
I didn't take offense and never meant to suggest that I should get preferred treatment (though now that you mention it... :wink: ). Sorry if it seemed that way. Sometimes without voice inflection it is hard to get the right point across--I did end my post with a kiss!

Were all the posts that were moved stickies? How does one go about posting a sticky? I agree that stickies SHOULD be limited but I don't think the threads should be moved.
Me too! I'm on my work laptop and sometimes the emoticons don't show up when I post! :07:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom