Aahhh! Too Many stickies!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Robert Phillips

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
[rant]Can we do something about the amount of stickies in this forum?
How about a Sub-Forum in this Sub-Forum for group dives and events.
I know we have many forums discussing the next Wrinkles dive event, but do we really need 4 stickies discussing various topics relating to one thing? Post links to the threads in one thread and make that one sticky and [mom voice] CLEAN UP THIS MESS! [/Mom voice]
Sheesh!
Please make this post a sticky :eyebrow:
[/rant]
I WAS KIDDING ABOUT THE STICKY PART!
Very funny!

Been thinking that myself

I agree - lots of stickies lately! I was going to suggest a "wrinkles/upcoming dive trips" subforum, but we actually already have a "trips and happenings...socal" one. Does it ever get used? Maybe move all Wrinkles dives related threads there? Not to pick on you, Ana, but they do take up a lot of room....

Robert Phillips:
[rant]Can we do something about the amount of stickies in this forum?
How about a Sub-Forum in this Sub-Forum for group dives and events.
I know we have many forums discussing the next Wrinkles dive event, but do we really need 4 stickies discussing various topics relating to one thing? Post links to the threads in one thread and make that one sticky and [mom voice] CLEAN UP THIS MESS! [/Mom voice]
Sheesh!
Please make this post a sticky :eyebrow:
[/rant]
I WAS KIDDING ABOUT THE STICKY PART!
Very funny!

Ken

saf_25:
I agree - lots of stickies lately! I was going to suggest a "wrinkles/upcoming dive trips" subforum, but we actually already have a "trips and happenings...socal" one. Does it ever get used? Maybe move all Wrinkles dives related threads there? Not to pick on you, Ana, but they do take up a lot of room....

I'm going to move them into there. Its silly to litter the forum with 4 or 5 posts of the same subject or variations of the same subject - namely the November or December dive.

Ken

I've been thinking about this also. I agree that too many sticky threads on the same topic are counter productive.

It seems that people may like having the Wrinkles Dive info at this level instead of burying it further into the sub-forum for Trips and Happenings. I don't think people look at that forum much, but that they do look a the SoCal forum often.

My thought is that more people will notice a Wrinkles Dive if it is in the SoCal forum. If more people see it then more people may participate, which I think is a good thing. I think that the wide-spread participation is what has made these so much fun.

As a possible solution, maybe we can just pick one sticky for the Wrinkles dive and make that Wrinkles Dive Central. Once the December Wrinkles dive is over, then we could replace that sticky with the January Wrinkles dive sticky.

Also, when we do the next "poll", we could include check boxes for both the location and date on the same poll. That poll could then become the next Wrinkles Dive sticky. Each month the new one will replace the old one. This would also keep all of the discussion for that month in one place without "littering" the forum with sticky threads.

I'm just thinking out loud here hoping to spark some other productive ideas. As a group, we can all decide on the best way to do this.

What do you all think?

Christian

headhunter:
I've been thinking about this also. I agree that too many sticky threads on the same topic are counter productive.

It seems that people may like having the Wrinkles Dive info at this level instead of burying it further into the sub-forum for Trips and Happenings. I don't think people look at that forum much, but that they do look a the SoCal forum often.

My thought is that more people will notice a Wrinkles Dive if it is in the SoCal forum. If more people see it then more people may participate, which I think is a good thing. I think that the wide-spread participation is what has made these so much fun.

As a possible solution, maybe we can just pick one sticky for the Wrinkles dive and make that Wrinkles Dive Central. Once the December Wrinkles dive is over, then we could replace that sticky with the January Wrinkles dive sticky.

Also, when we do the next "poll", we could include check boxes for both the location and date on the same poll. That poll could then become the next Wrinkles Dive sticky. Each month the new one will replace the old one. This would also keep all of the discussion for that month in one place without "littering" the forum with sticky threads.

I'm just thinking out loud here hoping to spark some other productive ideas. As a group, we can all decide on the best way to do this.

What do you all think?

Christian
Well, if you put ONE thread at the top as a sticky with links to the various spin-off threads that are in a sub-forum into the main thread, people will still see the main thread in this forum, but will have the ability to link to the other spin-off threads that exist in the sub-forum.
You could also do this without moving threads to a sub-forum, just have one sticky thread, edit the main post to have links to the various spin-off threads and keep them in this forum. The active threads will stay at the top of the forum and the not so active will move to the bottom. People will still have access to them without an arduous search because they have a link to them in the main thread and can be resurrected that way.

This is not a democracy though! Make the call Generals! Or promote me and I'll do it for you! :wink:

Robert Phillips:
This is not a democracy though! Make the call Generals! Or promote me and I'll do it for you! :wink:
Great ideas!

On the contrary! I would like to think of this as a democracy with the Generals simply being here to do the people's bidding as well as uphold the issues of law that have already been decided.

Christian

All community trip information (for pending trips or potential future, pending trips) has been moved to the Trips & Happenings area of the SoCal forum.

Trip Reports for the current month will remain sticky until the month ends, then they will be unstuck.

Roll Calls, Photo Roll Calls and other worthy stuff will remain sticky - until they get stale and they'll be unstuck.

That's the protocol.

Ken

Mo2vation:
All community trip information (for pending trips or potential future, pending trips) has been moved to the Trips & Happenings area of the SoCal forum.
Ken

That seems quite heavy handed in my book, and seems to be a decision made without input from the members, who this forum is for. Headhunter posted his views in the post prior to yours, and asked for input from Scubaboard members. This seems reasonable. In the next post, you make the decision, or so it appears, to make the choice for us, without input. This seems unreasonable.

The Scubaboard members aren't here to give Moderators something to do :eyebrow: , in reality, the Moderators are here to assist members with questions and problems, and 'moderate' those who may be heavyhanded or out of line. In my opinion, Moderators should act in such a way that they themselves don't need to be 'moderated'.

I think you should return the Wrinkles post to their original location, and do whatever the members decide. This issue needs to be left open for a reasonable amount of time, to allow those members who are active here, to voice their opinion. Afterall, it is 'their' board.

John-Boy

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom