A wee bit of good news, maybe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A little snipet on Cozumel from a Canadian Press article focused on Cancun was released about an 2 hours ago.

<snip>

"Tin roofing is flying through the air everywhere. Palm trees are falling down. Signs are in the air, and cables are snapping," Julio Torres told The Associated Press by telephone from the Red Cross office in Cozumel.

"Not even emergency vehicles have been able to go out on the streets because the winds are too strong."

<snip>

Whole Story: http://news.yahoo.com/s/cpress/20051021/ca_pr_on_wo/wea_wilma

Jimi

As long as you don't tell my bf, lol. Still crossing my fingers - roofs, trees, etc., all that can be fixed. I know it is a horror as long as people make it through then life is good. I've really been watching the Christi thread as those people are actually. Oh and the girl that quoted the person from the Canadian press. Those that are there can really tell you what is going. The news freaks me out - u know it is bad but they will try to make it worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missdirected
I'm with dlndavid right now. Hope hope hope Believe believe believe
Hey don't tell my wife.

Yah the press seems to sensationalize things a bit or ignore them all together. It may be difficult to find press reports on Cozumel with the larger city of Cancun so close by. I was in Hurricane Juliet in Cabo it was struck by the hurricane about 2 weeks after 911. It barely made it in the media, yet the destruction from flood and wind was fairly heavy. I can tell you that the situation became worse after the storm was over as supplies were hard to come by and people started to become sick, irritated, etc.. I hope that they are much more fortunate.

Jimi

ggunn:
...the southern eyewall, which would mean directly onshore winds for the hotel zone, also appear to have missed by a small margin off to the south. From this perspective, it appears that the direct hit that Cozumel got just might not be quite as bad as a near miss to the north or south might have been.

I may have spoken too soon. The eye appears to be moving north now, which is bringing the southern eyewall ashore on the south end. If it continues in that direction, it can be very bad for the hotel zone. This really sucks. Pardon my French, but if I were to type what I am really feeling, my keyboard might melt.

ggunn:
I may have spoken too soon. Pardon my French, but if I were to type what I am really feeling, my keyboard might melt.

I know, Gordon. I felt that maybe I was being too pessimistic in earlier posts...and I was restraining.

That north swing could keep it over water, where it will not lose intensity, this would not only continue max damage in the Yucatan, but it does't bode well for Florida...I have a best friend who owns a dive business in Key West as well.

All we can do is watch.:shocked:

Back
Top Bottom