A spearfishing mask for scuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jtpwils

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Let me start by saying I am beginning my first mask purchase - from that you can tell that I know pretty much nothing about picking one other than what I've read here.

I was at the LDS sampling some masks recently. The one that I liked a lot was the Cressi Superocchio. It seemed to glue itself to my face with just a slight push on the mask - I didn't need to sniff it on or anything like that. In addition to the fit I felt like I had good vision and the volume is very low. After leaving the store I learned that it is considered a freediving or spearfishing mask and that it has been around for a while.

So my questions are:
What is it that makes this a freediving mask as compared to a scuba mask?
Since this is a "classic" design , what features, other than a drop shaped lens, might this mask not have that I would find in a newer model?

free diving mask are simply very low volume to minimize the amount of air space that will have to be compensated for during the descent. There really isn't any difference other than that. Scuba mask tend to be larger favoring comfort and field of view over minimal volume.

Well put Messier42,

I personally dive with a Mares Star, another 'freediving' mask. I found that I barely noticed any loss in feild of view, but the benefits were amazing. Super lightweight, very easy to equalize and clear, and really comfortable. Above all the last is what you need to be concerned with. Regardless of shape size or color, the mask has to be comfortable. If you like the Cressi, I give it a 2 thumbs up!

Great - thanks guys. I'll keep looking but I'm glad I can keep this one on the list.

I spearfish and love my Sea Vision with a yellow tint. Most of us on the boat wear it. It seems to give me better clarity.

I'm also a Sea Vicion user, Ultra. I've had all 3, clear, yellow & magenta. I dive with the yellow lens, kept the clear as a backup mask & sold the magenta lens.

But, fit is king. If that mask fits you that good, buy it & dive it. Change if you find some reason to not like it.

That is a very small mask and has a somewhat reduced field of vision. If it fits you, it is a great mask for freediving, but if you are only going to scuba dive, low volume is a non issue and you might find some other masks fit as well. Cressi sub, for some reason seems to make the masks that fit me the best. The Cressi Focus model is my favorite and it has a little better visibility, but as others have said, fit and comfort are most important for general scuba diving.

No worries.

Just remember that it's YOUR mask. If it works for YOU, then it's perfect.

Thank you all. I'd like to buy it and go diving but I'm not certified yet; in fact, my class hasn't even started yet. :depressed: I'm a mildly OCD engineer with so I HAVE TO do lots of research to satisfy my obsessive side, the compulsive side will be satisfied when I buy it and start learning to clear my mask before class has ever started.

Thanks DumpsterDiver; I'll look at the Cressi Focus too

Scoobadiva: I plan on doing most of my diving in pretty shallow water at first - my daughter will be getting her C-card with me and she'll be depth restricted; will the yellow make for more clarity in that depth or only on deeper dives?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom