A somewhat sad conversation last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think Dan Volker mentioned earlier that the diver was carrying a lot of weight - that is not going to help him with buoyancy/trim. The diver is task loaded with a float - the buddy appears oblivious to the bloke. The bloke tries to keep up with his buddy kicking up stuff as he goes along.

That could have been me .. once . That Dan pointed out issues to the diver is to be commended. Most of us would just shut up and say nothing.
That the diver might have listened is also to be commended - some people might not have been prepared to listen at all.

I really hesitated before joining this thread, and I in fact cringed when I saw Lynne start it, for I knew that it would turn into what it is, with many posts confirming and extending the belief that brought her such sadness. My own feelings on this are very mixed and in a state of reflection.

My earliest technical diving training was DIR, although some will no doubt argue that it doesn't count because I was only on the JV team (UTD--and yes, I have been slighted for that.) When I decided to get cave certification, I went through NSS-CDS, with one of the most long-serving cave instructors in the business. The first thing he had me do was set up my gear and explain why I did it that way. It was, of course, strictly DIR, and he had no problem with any of it. He himself had only a few differences, and he explained what they were and why he did them. They seemed to make sense to me, but for the most part I stayed with my DIR setup throughout my training. We did have some conversations, though, about the difference between doing what makes sense to you and doing what you are told, even if it doesn't necessarily make sense to the diver.

As I progressed in my trimix training, I made the decision (for very practical reasons that are off topic here) to cross over to TDI. Once again I was asked to show my gear configuration and practices and justify it, and once again the instructor accepted it and then explained the differences in his gear and practices. I thought he had some good points. Throughout my training for my trimix and advanced trimix certifications, I did many dives with a variety of tech divers on the boats. You would have to know DIR to see the differences and realize that I was the only DIR diver on those trips, but they all seemed to be very competent, they all seemed safe, and they all had a good time. We had some chats about the differences. Not a one of them knew that they were card-carrying strokes because they used 80% O2 for a deco gas, and the ones I showed that famed article were quite amused. (Because everyone else was using 80%, I did as well for gas matching purposes, and I lived to tell about it.)

I recently took more course work from my TDI instructor, who owns one of the most well-known dive shops in South Florida. The shop's customer base is primarily technical, and they carry a lot of gear by Dive Rite and Hollis. He told me he recently had someone apply for a position as an instructor. As he showed the guy around, the guy started off by telling him that he was a DIR diver, apparently assuming that would impress the owner. As he looked at the tech gear on display, the guy further tried to impress the owner by telling him what crap it was, and how a lot of it was really unacceptable for good, safe, DIR diving. (And this guy was looking for a job!) In telling me the story, knowing my DIR background, the shop owner got angry all over again, and he asked me for an explanation for that attitude. I had none.

The shop with which I now work is about to announce a new offering, a program divers can take to learn good trim and propulsion skills. I will be the instructor. Divers can take it with different approaches, depending upon their goals. They can go full bore into BP/W, long hose--the works. They can also take it in standard recreational gear--we just have to be able to move weights to solve trim problems. I will look at their gear and talk about options, helping them make the best possible choices for the diving they intend to do, whether it is just to be the best possible recreational divers they can be or go on to full technical training. Thus, anyone around here can get the training people associate with DIR without needing to go to either of the accepted DIR agencies to get it. I don't intend to use the term DIR in my instruction unless the student asks about it, and I hope they will instead focus on the skills and equipment that will help make them the best possible divers they can be.

Wasn't this thread's purpose to be nice to beginners? I have reported you to Lamont. :D

I am nice to beginners ... I won't let my students out of a pool until they show better control than that. And I spend a pretty fair amount of time and effort helping other beginner divers develop their skills so they don't dive like that fellow.

It's because I'm a nice guy, and don't want them to hurt themselves, anybody else, or the environment they're diving in.

How much nicer would you want me to be?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I am nice to beginners ... I won't let my students out of a pool until they show better control than that. And I spend a pretty fair amount of time and effort helping other beginner divers develop their skills so they don't dive like that fellow.

It's because I'm a nice guy, and don't want them to hurt themselves, anybody else, or the environment they're diving in.

How much nicer would you want me to be?

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was just kidding. You should know that by now. :)

I was just kidding. You should know that by now. :)

Of course ... (I forgot the smiley) ... :D

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

It used to be "don't dive with strokes"
Too many believe that the term stroke applies to non-DIR divers and that's not entirely true. It actually applies to those who consider themselves DIR divers but whose ego stops them from developing the proper mindset. Out of sheer frustration, strokes took to calling non-DIR divers strokes because they just couldn't comprehend that GI3 was talking about them. Unfortunately, many of the non-DIR community never understood the implicit irony and took it personally! Of course, that doesn't stop us non-DIR folk from using it to poke a little fun at our DIR friends and use it in any way we see fit. :D

... that's clearly not an equipment problem, Dan ... that guy would look just as bad in a BP/W. Clearly he either was never taught anything about how to move himself through the water, or he decided to ignore everything he was taught. This fellow looks like he'd be more comfortable on a bicycle ... or a hiking trail ... with his skills it wouldn't matter what gear he was wearing, he's lacking skills he should have learned before he was ever granted a c-card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Bob,
If you had been in my place, what would you have said?
I decided that if I had any chance of getting this guy to listen, that I had to blame something other than "him"...In America, no one wants to admit something was their fault....which is why there are so many lawsuits....why if you tripped on somebodies lawn, it was their fault for having uneven grass.
Hoping to have him open his mind, the closest option seemed to be to blame this on the gear configuration.....while this was probably his fault, it could easily be whoever first set it up for him--or who sold it without setting it up for him. I wanted to use DIR ideas, but new he was in no way a candidate for bp/wing....Configuration of gear would be the topic.

His initial reaction was standoffish, but he warmed up as I explained that no one could dive horizontally with a rig confgured like his.....
I never told him he had to have a bp/wing....what I did say, was that he needed to find a good instructor that could help him figure out how to move the weight around, and how to get horizontal in the water. He said he knew some instructors at Jupiter Dive Center, and in fact, this is a great place for high level PADI instructors that have been through GUE Fundies....so they do know what to look at, and how to fix him.
I told him how great JDC was, and how important it was for him to do this soon. I offered him the video via youtube, but he did not want to see himself.
I hope he does visit JDC, but at least now he knows that the way he is diving is not something he can continue to do.....we also talked about all the nudibranchs and corals and other marine life living on the bottom, and he was shocked about this...He and most students, apparently think the bottom is dead. They never really look at what they are seeing....He did not even know I was shooting video of him, even though you can see at one point I am right in front of him shooting a close up !!! If he can't see me, what chance does a nudibranch have ? :)

If you had been in my place, what would you have said?
I'm not Bob, even on a good day, but I believe his point was that this guy's failure to achieve neutral buoyancy has nothing to do with him not being DIR. Using the video of a crappy diver to prove the necessity of DIR is like that current Geico commercial with the people doing the taste test. It simply doesn't apply.

anytime you see a diver like in the video, the goal should be to help them not dive like that.

If it was constructive to call him an idiot, then I would do that. Dan saw an opportunity to blame his gear, and sounds like he may have achieved the goal of having the guy seek out some instruction (not necessarily DIR).

And apparently he decided that he could prevent his long guages from getting caught on anything, by walking upright on the bottom....

So is the BC part of the problem...or just the way he configured it? Thoughts?
Almost by definition it has to be how he configured it, else just changing the BC would (by definition) fix the problem and that would then be naught but that DIR anathema, "an equipment solution to a skill problem.":D
Not only is his console not clipped onto his BCD to avoid dangling, he has not properly routed the hose through the BCD's upper-left hose channel, which would take away a lot of extra length. Of course, I would suggest that he transitioned to a wrist mounted computer/SPG gauge configuration and attach his octo somewhere in his upper body triangle if a neck bungee was out of the question...
If his protocol is to surrender the primary, the location of the secondary is his option and the "triangle" becomes irrelevant. In fact, "hinding" it a bit might be a good choice so as to focus his buddy's attention on the primary.
One who is unsafe in one environment (deeper, reduced vis) are might be relatively reasonable in another (shallow, clear, etc). In OW, ill dive with almost anyone. As the complexity of the dive increases, the number of folks who I'll do that dive with subsequently decreases.

I think 'don't dive with unsafe divers' is a pretty sound recommendation.
Agreed, the question is how to access the "unsafe diver." The branding of everyone whose equipment differs in any way, regardless of their skill and ability, as an "unsafe diver" kind of goes to the root of this discussion.
Dan ... first off, you're addressing this as a DIR issue. It's not ... and addressing it as such only creates the very misimpression of DIR that so many are describing here.

This is NOT a DIR issue at all ... it's an issue of improperly using the equipment the person is wearing.

A BCD that "allows" a tank too low describes pretty much any BCD that uses a single tank strap ... and, if improperly adjusted, can also occur with the dual-strap BCD.

ANY BCD can be adjusted for proper trim or balance. It doesn't have to be a BP/W. The latter offers several advantages to the diver who is going to be considering dives appropriate to its use ... even in a recreational setting. But suggesting that the BCD is responsible for a person's bad trim is essentially saying you think people should use equipment to solve a skills problem.

The problem doesn't lie with the gear choice ... it lies with how the gear is being used. And it very well (and more likely) lies with the fact that this person ... who has grown accustomed to moving while in a vertical orientation his whole life ... was never taught how to move any other way. Neither of those problems is endemic to the choice of gear. Nor would a different BCD choice necessarily improve that person's posture ... if that's how he's used to moving, he'll simply make whatever adjustments are required to keep moving that way.

The problem must be resolved by finding and addressing the root causes ... not blaming it on the gear ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
Exactly, it is a skill problem. Other gear might force him into a slightly better mold, but he's still going to be a problem diver, even if outfitted in all Halcyon, Atomic and ScubaPro (all in black, of course).
There's a quote in the movie 'Step Into Liquid' that I think is perfectly applicable here... "Who's the best surfer (diver) in the world? The one having the most fun."
Fun may, or may not, be the goal. Sometimes I dive for fun, often I do not and my goal is to complete a piece of work while minimized the hazard.

And you've misunderstood holistic. It is holistic in that it encompasses the gear, the procedures, the diver's own preparation (fitness, experience, etc), and the whole team doing the particular dive. It does not claim to be perfectly *universal* and apply to every recreational dive and diver possible, which is a different concept entirely, and a pretty stupid idea to try to take on.
You express the issue far better than anyone else has so far. Enough DIR divers embody the, "stupid idea," to create a less than favorable view of anything that smacks of DIR in the eyes of many non-DIR divers.
"Unsafe divers" is a nebulous term. I wouldn't do a deep dive with someone who was diving a tank that wouldn't allow them to keep safe gas reserves for the planned dive. I wouldn't go diving with someone who had habits like the photographer we met in Indonesia, who would stay down until his tank was EMPTY and then come up on his DM's gas (the resort assigned him a personal DM for this reason). Unsafe diving is often a product of attitude, rather than skill; new divers with really poor skills are often attentive and careful, and less "unsafe" than cocky people with better technique.

I would, and have gone diving with people like Dan describes. How do people improve, if no one with more experience will help them? Not only that, but the Wednesday dives that were the genesis of this thread in the first place . . . are FOR this purpose!

And no, you don't have to change to a GUE gear configuration to solve weight and balance problems. But if you do, the problems are solved in the process, which is a nice side effect of the gear, and is the reason why that type of setup is very popular here in the PNW, even among people who haven't even heard of GUE. A lot of other problems go away at the same time, which is one of the reasons we do tend to be evangelistic about our gear! It is not the only way to dive comfortably or well, but it's an awfully easy one. Or, as the shop owner Bob was talking about once told me, "DIR is just such a SIMPLE way to dive."
While I agree that outfitting a diver with gear that, for example, "forces" them into a stable horizontal attitude can often make them APPEAR to be a better diver than they are, as I noted earlier, that is just an equipment solution for a skill problem.
Man, I had this long post wrote up for a reply to this and my computer shutdown. Uh well. My brain hurts from reading this thread anyway.

Who cares?! Plain and simple. Who gives a flying rat's butthole? DIR is a sound philosophy. It is a holistic approach towards diving that makes sense! The gear configuration is well thought out and has a reason behind each piece. It works! So do many other styles. People on both side of the argument need to chill out. Funny thing is most of the whining in this thread is from non-DIR divers who simply want to bash it. If you don't like it, don't freggin do it.

When new divers are referred to me to help mentor them, I hand them my copy of "Doing It Right; The Fundamentals of Better Diving". That copy has got some miles on it! I tell them to read it. It will help them understand why I pick things the way I do, and why I dive the way I do. Do I say, "If you don't dive this way you are going to DIE!" Nope.

OK, so who is the first to scream, "BUT BUT BUT, your avatar shows sidemount! You are not DIR!"
The issue is not what people dive with, or without, it is the idea (almost invented by the DIR faction) that, "If you don't dive this way you are going to DIE!" Glad to hear that you do not share that attitude.
With all due respect TSandM, I do not believe that simply swapping to a dir gear configuration will solve weight and balance configuration problems. It very well might possibly help them, but time must still be taken to figure out the proper balance and weighting regardless of the bcd type being used. For instance, if someone is wearing their tank to low with a jacket, they can still wear it too low with a bp/w. Will dual straps help, probably but a lot of jackets have them and given half a chance, there's still a lot of us that can still mount a tank too low. Doing a different gear config will probably help if for no other reason than it will usually make a diver be more concious of what their doing and how they are doing it. If just swapping gear would solve bouyancy, balance and weighting problems then it would put a lot of gear manufacturers out of business.
One of my students, many years ago, did a bunch of work in our tow tank to study BC drag, while that is not directly apropos, we did notice (though not study directly) some stability differences between designs. At the time (this is just before the phaseout of horsecollars) one of the things that many manufacturers were striving for was a BC design that permitted a diver carrying about eight pints of air, to have as little problem as possible in maintaining, without a minimum of effort, any combination of pitch, roll and yaw. ScubaPro, at the time, was heavily advertising how their triple-doughnut design fulfilled this criterion. We did notice that the BC that most closely resembled today's BP/W the Watergill At-Pack had a significant tendency to push a diver into a horizontal plane (thus minimizing cross-section dependent drag. BTW: the flapping of the wing material added a lot of drag). This tendency was also noticed by many divers and was used as a, "sales kill" (e.g., it will only float you face up at the surface). So, in any case, I think the answer to the question of will, "simply swapping to a dir gear configuration will solve weight and balance configuration problems?" is YES, in part, it will.
I have seen plenty of divers that look like that fresh out of OW class.
We've all seen lots of divers long out of their OW class that look the same.

Back
Top Bottom