A somewhat sad conversation last night

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have not read this entire thread, but my experience has been there are all kinds of people doing their dives in their own way. I think it's possible that DIR and GUE attracts some folks who are looking for something absolutist, and are looking for a way to "obtain the high ground" but thats not a DIR or GUE problem, that's a personality issue for the individual. Some people are jerks, and DIR and GUE are their particular lens for BEING jerks. I've found such people in every human activity I have ever seen. That being said, I am not this type of diver, nor is it likely i will ever be, due to a very small minority (total strangers) who decided it was their dive god given right to verbally abuse me on a beach for the crime of using one small aspect of DIR configuration without using the whole system. (short SPG backup clipped to a D ring on my left waist)

That last time I was treated that way, it was a drill sergeant, who had the excuse of just doing his job. You embrace the philosophy, you inevitably run into this type, and I just don't need it. Someone said earlier the best diver is the one having the most fun. I have not interest in arguing philosophy, i just want to go diving.

Just my opinion.

Man, I had this long post wrote up for a reply to this and my computer shutdown. Uh well. My brain hurts from reading this thread anyway.

Who cares?! Plain and simple. Who gives a flying rat's butthole? DIR is a sound philosophy. It is a holistic approach towards diving that makes sense! The gear configuration is well thought out and has a reason behind each piece. It works! So do many other styles. People on both side of the argument need to chill out. Funny thing is most of the whining in this thread is from non-DIR divers who simply want to bash it. If you don't like it, don't freggin do it.

When new divers are referred to me to help mentor them, I hand them my copy of "Doing It Right; The Fundamentals of Better Diving". That copy has got some miles on it! I tell them to read it. It will help them understand why I pick things the way I do, and why I dive the way I do. Do I say, "If you don't dive this way you are going to DIE!" Nope.

OK, so who is the first to scream, "BUT BUT BUT, your avatar shows sidemount! You are not DIR!"

Man, I had this long post wrote up for a reply to this and my computer shutdown. Uh well. My brain hurts from reading this thread anyway.

Who cares?! Plain and simple. Who gives a flying rat's butthole? DIR is a sound philosophy. It is a holistic approach towards diving that makes sense! The gear configuration is well thought out and has a reason behind each piece. It works! So do many other styles. People on both side of the argument need to chill out. Funny thing is most of the whining in this thread is from non-DIR divers who simply want to bash it. If you don't like it, don't freggin do it.

When new divers are referred to me to help mentor them, I hand them my copy of "Doing It Right; The Fundamentals of Better Diving". That copy has got some miles on it! I tell them to read it. It will help them understand why I pick things the way I do, and why I dive the way I do. Do I say, "If you don't dive this way you are going to DIE!" Nope.

OK, so who is the first to scream, "BUT BUT BUT, your avatar shows sidemount! You are not DIR!"

All things evolve, one day you may be regarded as one of the pioneers of DIR sidemount diving :)

"....... And no, you don't have to change to a GUE gear configuration to solve weight and balance problems. But if you do, the problems are solved in the process, which is a nice side effect of the gear, and is the reason why that type of setup is very popular here in the PNW, even among people who haven't even heard of GUE. A lot of other problems go away at the same time, which is one of the reasons we do tend to be evangelistic about our gear! It is not the only way to dive comfortably or well, but it's an awfully easy one. Or, as the shop owner Bob was talking about once told me, "DIR is just such a SIMPLE way to dive."

With all due respect TSandM, I do not believe that simply swapping to a dir gear configuration will solve weight and balance configuration problems. It very well might possibly help them, but time must still be taken to figure out the proper balance and weighting regardless of the bcd type being used. For instance, if someone is wearing their tank to low with a jacket, they can still wear it too low with a bp/w. Will dual straps help, probably but a lot of jackets have them and given half a chance, there's still a lot of us that can still mount a tank too low. Doing a different gear config will probably help if for no other reason than it will usually make a diver be more concious of what their doing and how they are doing it. If just swapping gear would solve bouyancy, balance and weighting problems then it would put a lot of gear manufacturers out of business.

All things evolve, one day you may be regarded as one of the pioneers of DIR sidemount diving :)

LOL!! I think AG is already working on this!

For those that read my initial posts in this thread, here is the video I spoke of. Watch it, and then tell me what you would have done, and whether a DIR mindset might not help this guy...

In the beginning, we were just minding our own business, I was doing macro video of nudibranchs, mantis shrimp, anemonees, and was looking for the oculina coral and the life that was around it.Then, this guy litterally ran over Sandra.
[video=youtube_share;UVpD08Ko2DY]http://youtu.be/UVpD08Ko2DY?hd=1[/video]

Being or not being DIR has nothing to do with this guy. It is a lack of brain cells being engaged that is to blame for this nut.

What would I have done? The same thing that I actually do. I would have swam over, grasped his tank valve and gently raised hiim off the bottom. I honestly don't think this guy would have had the foggiest idea that he was being raised. Then got his attention and signaled to him that the bottom was not for walking on. Once we got back to shore, I would gladly discuss any issues he had with me or my actions. Hopefully, he would understand the whys of everything that happened. If not, oh well. On the next dive I wouldn't be so gentle in my raising of the dead.

After watching this guy I think I figured out what is wrong......He doesn't know how to swim, so he walks!! How can you possibly get certified having supposedly mastered all the skill sets required and not have better control of your trim than that. How did he complete the fin pivot? Yes, he does need help not condemnation, but how in the world did he ever get certified at that skill level? Personally, I would love to work with someone like that to help them improve, starting back in the pool.

... that's clearly not an equipment problem, Dan ... that guy would look just as bad in a BP/W. Clearly he either was never taught anything about how to move himself through the water, or he decided to ignore everything he was taught. This fellow looks like he'd be more comfortable on a bicycle ... or a hiking trail ... with his skills it wouldn't matter what gear he was wearing, he's lacking skills he should have learned before he was ever granted a c-card ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Wasn't this thread's purpose to be nice to beginners? I have reported you to Lamont. :D

After watching this guy I think I figured out what is wrong......He doesn't know how to swim, so he walks!! How can you possibly get certified having supposedly mastered all the skill sets required and not have better control of your trim than that. How did he complete the fin pivot? Yes, he does need help not condemnation, but how in the world did he ever get certified at that skill level? Personally, I would love to work with someone like that to help them improve, starting back in the pool.
First question really is if he IS infact certified. Its not like its hard to buy gear and jump in without a c-card. Its not smart, but its easy..

I have seen plenty of divers that look like that fresh out of OW class.

Back
Top Bottom