A request to the "new" DIR advocates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Laser once bubbled...

I met Popeye there for the first time and he's one of the nicest guys I've ever met. A knowledgable diver as well.

REALLY? Its been my experience that nice people don’t act like jerks when the opportunity arises. To quote a very good saying, "Integrity; is doing what’s right when no one is watching". The anonymity of the Internet shows just how little integrity some people have.

Jeblis once bubbled...
Comments?
Commercial, Public Safety and Military dive operations have resources and objectives vastly different from the recreational diver (whether technical or not.)

What enhances safety in one instance might not in the other and what is optimal in one instance might not be in the other.

For instance: com. units... essential for single diver down surface supplied diving... but not optimal for scuba diving communication between two untethered buddies.

You would use too much gas gabbing and the com units don't provide for passive communication and positioning.

Much better for the recreational diver (but not for the surface supplied single working diver) is an HID light beam.

pt40fathoms once bubbled...

REALLY? Its been my experience that nice people don?t act like jerks when the opportunity arises. To quote a very good saying, "Integrity; is doing what?s right when no one is watching". The anonymity of the Internet shows just how little integrity some people have.

It's not that simple really. The internet has a tendency to distort how people come across, there is no facial expression or tone to go with the post. I think it often pays to give people the benefit of the doubt, when reading internet communications.

I have met a few people who come across very different on the internet and in person. I don't think this is because it's their true nature or no one is looking...it's just a side effect of the medium.

Another issue with DIR is that most people who grasp it really do feel like they have discovered something great. It is very difficult sometimes to say "well, you have a good point too, but give this a try", when you really feel that you've been there, done it, and this is 10000 times better.

Still, if you just say "this system is 10000 times better", you will get people telling you that you are arrogant and patronizingf (as I was just accused of a little earlier in this thread).

In any case, if I have been rude or arrogant or patronizing in any way, I apologize, it was not my intent. I am convinced the diving DIR is the way to go, but I understand that others do not, and don't feel "superior" to them as a person or as a diver. I simply feel that I've stumbled on the better system.

I just wanted to throw my .02 cents here. I can't speak for anyone else on this board. But the true DIR guy's and some not on this board have been hands down the most respectful and knowledgeable people I have met on here to date. MHK, UnclePug, O-ring to name a few have bent over backwards to answer some of the most ridiculous questions I have had and I thank them very much for that. Keep on the good work guys I appreciate it..

Brandon

No matter what group you belong to there is bound to be some A** holes....

Perhaps. But the individual in question more than once threatened me with bodily harm for disagreeing with his politics.

I don't know him and he doesn't know me outside of the newsgroups but it made me feel very uncomfortable and I'm sure that if I had been able to see his facial expression at that moment I would have been out-right scared. He a big guy and an ex-marine who admits to needing to take medication to stay balanced and he says he keeps a gun in every room of his house. Even living on the other side of the globe his threats were serious enough that it made me consider just how anonymous I am.

That's a little more than a side-effect of the medium if you ask me. I'm squarely with pt40fathoms on this one.

R..

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

It's not that simple really. The internet has a tendency to distort how people come across, there is no facial expression or tone to go with the post. I think it often pays to give people the benefit of the doubt, when reading internet communications.

I have met a few people who come across very different on the internet and in person. I don't think this is because it's their true nature or no one is looking...it's just a side effect of the medium.

<snip>

Diver0001 once bubbled...
Perhaps. But the individual in question more than once threatened me with bodily harm for disagreeing with his politics.

You are quite right, there are limits to what can be construed as "perceived tone". I didn't mean to imply that someone threatening you was not a serious matter, it most certainly is.

Hopefully we won't have to deal with this person anymore, at least on this board.

Braunbehrens once bubbled...

Another issue with DIR is that most people who grasp it really do feel like they have discovered something great. It is very difficult sometimes to say "well, you have a good point too, but give this a try", when you really feel that you've been there, done it, and this is 10000 times better.

Still, if you just say "this system is 10000 times better", you will get people telling you that you are arrogant and patronizingf (as I was just accused of a little earlier in this thread).

In any case, if I have been rude or arrogant or patronizing in any way, I apologize, it was not my intent. I am convinced the diving DIR is the way to go, but I understand that others do not, and don't feel "superior" to them as a person or as a diver. I simply feel that I've stumbled on the better system.

Alright, man. It sounds like you've got your heart in the right place, and that sometimes your enthusiasm gets in the way. While I don't think that enthusiasm is a bad thing, I do think that if you don't temper it properly, it can come across as arrogance.

To use your example: instead of letting people know "this system is 10,000 times better" (arrogant), let them know what you like about the system in the context of discussion - preferably without quoting George. If nothing else, the conversation is not an argument, it's you sharing a non comparative opinion.

And one other thing, how about losing the agenda? In just about every post of your's I read, it sounds to me like you're trying to convert people to DIR. I personally agree that it's a great system of diving, but prosletyzing about it all the time just gets tiresome, because in reality, it's not for everyone. And the people that don't want to hear it absolutely DESPISE hearing it.

Just as an example, think of the other "DIR" divers on the board that are well-regarded like Uncle Pug and O-Ring, they help other divers all day long in answering their questions, sharing stories, etc.. But I don't recall ever seeing them tout how their way is "better".

It sounds to me like you're trying to be helpful, and because of that, I am too. I hope you read this post with the good intentions that I had in writing it.

Uncle Pug once bubbled...

Well I hope you quit posting to scuba board long enough to go diving bucko!

T minus one hour and 4 minutes! 2 full tanks in the trunk. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom