A request to the "new" DIR advocates

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

He come after me pretty hard but (on this board) he seems to engage in normal conversation from what I've seen of his posts where he isn't talking to me.

I've found him forceful at times, but generally polite. He's not a, "well maybe.. but that just my opinion, and I'm certainly not expert but... just my $0.02..." kind of person.

[/b]
He just doesn't like anything I have to say. LOL [/B]

That's the same reason he and Chris don't get along! LOL

Drew A. Dunn

I think alot of us ( myself included ) have the tendancy to stand our ground ( in not always a nice way )....

Anyone have suggestions on how to resist that urge?

chrpai once bubbled...
I think alot of us ( myself included ) have the tendancy to stand our ground ( in not always a nice way )....

Counseling? :wink:

chrpai once bubbled...

Spirited discussion are ok I think. And of course if we all agreed there wouldn't be anything to talk about. The trick is to avoid insults and of course threats.

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

Spirited discussion are ok I think. And of course if we all agreed there wouldn't be anything to talk about. The trick is to avoid insults and of course threats.

This is a general statement and not intended for anyone specifically.....

Disagree all you want but keep it respectful and not personal, heck, you can even be nice about it and still make the point that you disagree. It always helps to explain in a calm and collected manner why you have the opinions that you do. Then others can post the reasons that they have thier beliefs and the reader can make a decision as to which way they choose to believe.

Be aware that others might not agree and that is fine. You have to accept that others don't have to agree with you and that doesn't mean that they need to be berated.

No one wants the board to be a place where we all do things the same way. If it was then there would be no learning and not really much to talk about.

Chad

There are only two reasons people get nasty in these discussions.

One is that someone is pushing their buttons, and that certainly does happen.

The other, far more common one, is that they have lost a battle of wits and are now trying to make up by winning a different battle.

More often than not, gettting nasty simply means you don't have the mental fortitude to stand your ground politely, or to admit you are wrong when you are.

However, just because someone doesn't have the wits or knowledge to see an argument through in a civilized manner does not mean they are wrong.

That's just how I see it, of course...

Braunbehrens once bubbled...
There are only two reasons people get nasty in these discussions.

One is that someone is pushing their buttons, and that certainly does happen.

The other, far more common one, is that they have lost a battle of wits and are now trying to make up by winning a different battle.

That's just how I see it, of course...

I think you've missed one. Sometimes logical points are lost on thick headed people who then proceed to push buttons causing someone to lose their temper and then being accused of not having a valid argument based on merit.

chrpai once bubbled...

Why would you want to resist it? First of all I don't find any o\f the regulars on this board unreasonable. And I personally believe that it's a positive quality to be opinionated/assertive or self-assured or confident or whatever motivates you to hold your ground as long as it's balanced out with openness for change based on solid arguments. If all else fails you can agree to disagree and still be friends. Communication and competition are not the same thing.

R..

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom