A repository of 3D print STL sources

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah that thing can definitely be optimized to print nicely without supports. And supports waste a lot of material.

Not sure what's causing that gap - what software did you design it with? You could try analyzing/repairing the stl in something like meshmixer.

I used FreeCAD... and it's actually multiple bodies. So I'll run it through NetFab and see what it does

Has anyone else played with it, does anyone else get the gaps?

I'm using Simplify3D to splice. They both have air gaps, but "NitroxBlenderThreadedB" has more, and the large one at the top.

I'm not super familiar with freecad, but I've never seen simplify do stuff like that when there isn't a problem with the model it's being fed. What happens if you zoom way in to the problem areas in simplify before clicking "prepare to print"? What happens if you look real close in freecad? Are there tiny gaps? What happens if you just move the fins or enlarge the center shaft to increase overlap in freecad?

OK, try these.

Attachments

• NitroxBlenderThreadedB_fixed.stl
    3.4 MB · Views: 79
  • NitroxBlenderThreadedA_fixed.stl
    3.4 MB · Views: 71
  • NitroxBlenderFriction_fixed.stl
    3 MB · Views: 74
I also just checked and I don't get those air gaps with Cura, but I have had that issue with other designs.

Has anyone else played with it, does anyone else get the gaps?
I'm using Simplify3D to splice. They both have air gaps, but "NitroxBlenderThreadedB" has more, and the large one at the top.

I just sliced it in Cura 4.9 and it didn't complain.

Sorry got busy.... that looks amazing. Everything is welded together perfect. Going to attempt a print of a ThreadedA now

For fun, I user Sli3r and it slices pretty darn good for me. At .15layer height, 15% infill comes out to $0.63 and 6hrs to print.

I was curious and loaded up your original model into Slicer. Same settings and I got no gaps or air spaces. Sliced just fine

Reactions: OTF
Not really 3D printed, but this was a side project I was working on. Modular p-weight system.

Basically, I would make a negative of the lead block and send it to an online machinist that can CnC it out of aluminum. Got one quote for an earlier design at about $300 ish dollars, but I had to go back and tweak some of the design.

Also found a guy on my 3D print discord that would be able to machine the Stainless Steel bar that the weights attached to.

For making the lead blocks attachable to the bar, I would mount an insert into the mold (would have a hole specifically for it) and then pour the lead in.

Edit: BTW, I use Autodesk Fusion 360 that's able to specify material and give weight based on volume of the object. It estimates the weight of the blocks to be just slightly over 1/2 lb, but that would probably be removed when the insert is added, so right at 1/2lb really. So with all blocks attached, 4 and 1/2 lbs worth of lead.

Attachments

• p-weight.jpg
    p-weight.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 59
  • mold_partA.jpg
    mold_partA.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 64
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom