Back Plate and wing..$28 dollars invested!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

here are the templates... The wing has an outer band that is just an approx. 4 inch wide strip. Bladder flange placement was calculated with the Mk1 eyeball!
Handle on the backplate was an existing handle in the cutting board.
Also included is an image of the bladder still in the package.
View attachment 537915 View attachment 537916 View attachment 537917

I love your project.
I have been lurking with the construction of my own BPW for some time. One of the stoppers has been the bladder. I see that you are using a cheap Intex transparent ring floating tube as bladder.
I intend to use a car tire inner tube, which should be much more resistant. I guess that the rubber of the inner tube should not deteriorate with water. I remember when I was a kid that those old big truck inner tubes were used by many people in the water.
Besides, car tire inner tube should not need any gasket nor even glue to the flange.
As I work in a diving school and I'm in charge of the maintenance of the gear, I have access to some BCD accessories of old BCDs that were discarded, like D rings, tank straps, tank pads, and so on.

I love your project.
I have been lurking with the construction of my own BPW for some time. One of the stoppers has been the bladder. I see that you are using a cheap Intex transparent ring floating tube as bladder.
I intend to use a car tire inner tube, which should be much more resistant. I guess that the rubber of the inner tube should not deteriorate with water. I remember when I was a kid that those old big truck inner tubes were used by many people in the water.
Besides, car tire inner tube should not need any gasket nor even glue to the flange.
As I work in a diving school and I'm in charge of the maintenance of the gear, I have access to some BCD accessories of old BCDs that were discarded, like D rings, tank straps, tank pads, and so on.
Well, some lessons I've learned: Make sure the bladder is noticeably bigger than the shell, otherwise the hole for the flange can stretch and lead to major leaks. You will want to put a seal of some kind between the outer flange and the shell, otherwise air will seep through through the actual weave of the fabric (slow leak, but annoying). I plan on eventually making one with an inner tube, and figured I would use the discs cut out from the flange holes as patches for removing the inner tube's valve.
If there's anything I can help with or answer, please ask!
Respectfully,
James

Well, some lessons I've learned: Make sure the bladder is noticeably bigger than the shell, otherwise the hole for the flange can stretch and lead to major leaks. You will want to put a seal of some kind between the outer flange and the shell, otherwise air will seep through through the actual weave of the fabric (slow leak, but annoying). I plan on eventually making one with an inner tube, and figured I would use the discs cut out from the flange holes as patches for removing the inner tube's valve.
If there's anything I can help with or answer, please ask!
Respectfully,
James
Yes, the inner tube valve should be removed and patched.
I have already repaired several BPW where the bladder flange broke and yes, the bladder is noticeable bigger that the outer shell.
IMG_5292.JPG
IMG_5293.JPG
IMG_5294.JPG
IMG_5678.JPG
IMG_5672.JPG
IMG_5681.JPG

Yep... the original is disassembled now. The swim ring used for a bladder was barely larger than the shell... until the shell stretched some and I had the previously mentioned leak! On the bright side, when weighted correctly a leaky wing is a total non issue. The kids (14 and 10) are using Mk2 SN 1 and 2... one of them is using my original cuttingboard/backplate. I'm using MK3 of the wing now on a VDH plate. I'm going to be making a MK4 eventually, and putting it on version 2 of a cutting board back plate.
MK3 wing:
WingMK3BackLeft.JPG

Respectfully,
James

Oh, for any interested, here is my most recent cutting board layout.

Very nice, but I don't see any holes for sex bolts.

Very nice, but I don't see any holes for sex bolts.
I just let the tank straps hold the wing in place, but you are always welcome to drill you cutting board as you please!

Back
Top Bottom