A question to an incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks a bunch for your responses, WeB Monkey. They have given me lots of food for thought.

Cheers!

Yes it is. I assume you missed this on your basic open water training.

That depends on the connector. The "drysuit" size connectors aren't too hard. The larger "SCUBAPro Air-2" size connectors require quite a bit more force and are extremely difficult to reattach with the air on.

I admit I haven't tried this in years. I dive with a Tusa Duo-Air octo/inflator configuration for more than 5 years now and I find it impossible to attach the hose with the pressure (3000 psi) on. Thanks for the update!

Hey Terry, 75lb lift capacity isn't massive if you dive twins and cold water. I dive warm, and have 65 lb lift capacity. I am glad, because I once had this brainiac jump in to get wet one dive, with his wetsuit and weight belt. Just.. wetsuit and weight belt. No fins, no nothing.... He fights the 5 feet over to me(in my full gear), grabs me and says," Help! I'm going down!"
Well, duhhh. I inflate fully and take off his weights and hold them myself. I refused to completely drop his weights-they belong to my shop after all and there was vicious current and no vis that day. My Zeagle held us just fine. I dragged him back to the ladder and then sent him up. Lots of lift can be a good thing.

But this girl should not have been in the water if she couldn't handle that minor situation. I wonder how often DMs practice their problem-solving and rescue skills? My shop takes out DMs and instructors every 60 days and we have a fun dive and then a practice dive- we have a slew of scenarios and situations. We practice this. You really have to or you end up racing back to the dock, all freaked out.....

75lbs sounds absolutely enourmous as a lift capacity even for a twinset rig. Generally 60lbs will take twin 12s and 2 stages if not more. I cant imagine anyone needing over 35-40 for a single setup at all.

75lbs sounds absolutely enourmous as a lift capacity even for a twinset rig. Generally 60lbs will take twin 12s and 2 stages if not more. I cant imagine anyone needing over 35-40 for a single setup at all.

That's the rated lift on an XL SP Classic+ BC. It's not "user selectable".

Terry

I admit I haven't tried this in years. I dive with a Tusa Duo-Air octo/inflator configuration for more than 5 years now and I find it impossible to attach the hose with the pressure (3000 psi) on. Thanks for the update!

Your power inflator should only have about 140 psi on it regardless of tank pressure. If you have 3000 on it, you have more of a problem than just getting it connected.

Your power inflator should only have about 140 psi on it regardless of tank pressure. If you have 3000 on it, you have more of a problem than just getting it connected.

Good point...Is that not why it is called a LOW pressure inflator?

Webmonkey:
Even if she's 20 pounds overweighted, it shouldn't be an issue if you have a BC with a reasonable amount of lift.

If she has a BC made for her size, particularly a woman's BC, 20 lbs overweighted could be impossible to overcome using lift alone...

Webmonkey, I thought you were saying that being 20 lbs overweighted should be no issue for her, the victim. I didn't realize you were referring to the rescuer being able to deal with the victim's overweighting. Agreed that a reasonable amount of extra lift should be available in case one needs to rescue someone. That puts most women's BC's out of the picture, then, it would seem...

Webmonkey, I thought you were saying that being 20 lbs overweighted should be no issue for her, the victim. I didn't realize you were referring to the rescuer being able to deal with the victim's overweighting. Agreed that a reasonable amount of extra lift should be available in case one needs to rescue someone. That puts most women's BC's out of the picture, then, it would seem...

Yeah, I was talking about the rescuer.

Once the brown stuff hits the fan, all I care about is keeping the victim alive, which means "head out of the water and breathing. I make no assumptions and really don't want to deal with their equipment or mental state or get anywhere near their moving parts.

If they're not in a completely full-blown freak-out and you can do it quickly with a reasonable amount of safety, ditching their weights from underneath is nice, but in reality, if I can sneak around back, grab the tank valve, get their head out of the water, maybe try to inflate their BC and play "tow-truck", that's just as good, or maybe better.

The other nice thing is that once you lean someone back and they realize they're floating and breathing and moving back to the boat, they tend to calm down.

Unfortunately, this really isn't a possibility with most "women's" BCs and a lot of tropical BCs.

Terry

Up Date, The dive center was more thin concerned. At lest 4 other divers called to complain. Not that the Caption called the dive but there was no EMT or nothing at the dock. It seamed that the diver never got more thin 6 or 7 ft down. The DM did not see the house not hooked. He was moving fast and trying to keep her head out of the water. Like I said in the first post He saved her there is no dough of that.
It was the after that upset me and others. But After talking to the dive shop. They offered a 50% off the next dive. So it all worked out but is steel sucked. The girl was reported to be OK too.
I am going to give my coupon to a friend that dives that charter and like them. I live to fair away and don't like the charter. so case closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom