A question to an incident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rick

The goal: Enter the water with gear in perfect working order and perfectly assembled with the diver in perfect condition to dive, every time on every dive without exception.

Reality: Oops.

Experience and Training: The ability to calmly handle and safely respond to the oops.

Hetland

Your confidence in your ability to never make a mistake or omission during a gear check is probably the result of inexperience or poor training (perhaps both). Your “never happen to me" attitude will leave you ill-prepared to deal with problems when they do occur. Your knowledge of scuba diving may be encyclopedic, but it will do you little good if you do not know yourself. If you are sure you will never make an error or omission, then you do not truly know yourself.

Firstly, Rick, Hetland, et al are correct in pointing out that things can go wrong and that training and experience are the skills needed to survive all kinds of things in the water. Additionally, I think it is also fair to point out that people need to know their faults and adjust to them accordingly when diving. I agree that having a closed mind to what-if scenarios is a poor way to go about diving. But I don’t think these relevant posts are effectual responses to what ID is saying on this particular point.

In all fairness to him, I think people taking issue with his position need to at least take issue with what it actually is instead of creating a strawman that is easier to critique and ridicule. Relying on watered-down versions of his position gets us no closer to putting his comments into proper perspective, whether or not any of us agree with his position.

For instance, his “never” in his earlier post does not imply that he will do pre-dive preparations mistake free every time for years into the future. It isn’t fair to paint him with that brush. In fact, he basically admits that the potential for error is part of the process he undertakes in his pre-dive routine.

ID:

And, I generally don't stop with just one check, I usually check my gear multiple times before hitting the water. It's not hard and it's not time consuming. Why not do it?

Why is he checking his gear multiple times if he is being cavalier about his safety checks? Also, multiple checks on gear is not endemic of an inexperienced diver, whereas spotty pre-dive checks can be the product of experience unfortunately. I’d say he is well aware of the fact that he is capable of making any number of mistakes at many points in the time leading up to his dives. This is the very reason why he does multiple checks, so as to negate the chance that he will allow any one potential mishap, mistake, or oversight to become an issue in the water.

Now the choice of words in “generally” and “usually” leaves some room for consideration in how consistent this process really is, but not enough to call his practices into question the way others have done. At least that is how I see it.

If he does this routine every time without fail as he says he does, then I think he is justified in saying he will “never” allow this particular scenario to happen to him.

Even if he is wrong and some crazy set of unforeseeable and amazing occurrences takes place in the future that finally does distract him long enough to keep him from making that last required check, it would not be because his normal, rehearsed routine was at fault. Quite the contrary actually. And I think this is the point that needs to be recognized.

It is one thing to say that a simple, quick, and halfhearted pre-dive routine leads to these types of blunders. It is another to say that one who engages in consistent, multileveled, and deliberate pre-dive checks is just as capable of falling prey to these probabilities. If it is confidence that drives the latter practice, I say more power to ID.

In all the ways that someone can become confident (call it arrogant if that is what you think), it is far safer to apply the mindset ID has to multiple pre-dive checks than it is to put that confidence completely in the unknown. I don’t agree that laziness or complacency will necessarily set in for all divers at some point in time. I agree with ID that poorly assembled equipment need never be seen in the same light as say failed equipment. I also think he is right to say that an oversight of this kind is not a “mistake” in the same way that a panicked diver makes poor choices while in duress. ID is absolutely correct to make this distinction in my book, whether or not people can indeed do the checks he says he does as “easily” as he says they can be done. Easy or not, they should be done as he claims he does them.

Where the controversy is in this is statement is beyond me.

Of course we all need to be ready for the unexpected while diving, and I think that was what people wanted to discuss when this point originally came up. Maybe ID’s confident stance appears to reject this axiomatic reality on its face. It doesn’t need to be seen as a polarizing position, however. ID’s contribution to the thread is to make sure people don’t see all diving contingencies in the Rumsfeld-esc “stuff happens” type of way. Personally, I think there is a great deal of merit in the distinction he has made if for no other reason than getting people to attempt to take these pre-dive checks more seriously: seriously on a consistent, unyielding, and thus confident basis.

That said, all divers need to also be prepared for the unknowns that a pre-dive routine can’t possible save us from.

Cheers!

This is the last post I will be making in this thread. Either there is a reading comprehension problem here, and members are not understanding my posts correctly, or there is an unbelievably troubling trend of divers accepting the unacceptable. I went out of my way to make it clear that I was only referring to entering the water without my gear assembled when I said "This will never happen to me". I have a serious dose of reality for everyone reading this thread. If you feel it is inevitable that you will at some point jump in the water without your gear assembled, you should not be diving. If you cannot trust yourself to handle something as basic as gear assembly and predive checks from the safety of the surface, how can you trust yourself to deal with a problem once actually in the water? There is no reason whatsoever for ANY diver to hit the water without their gear assembled. That should not be considered acceptable or inevitable by any properly trained diver. You can continue having whatever fun you want with my posts and I will continue to enter the water on each of my dives with full confidence that my gear is assembled...

I think it is you who has the comprehension problem, and not understanding the posts.

We are NOT accepting the unacceptable ... just saying that it is inevitable that something as simple as not inflating your BC before entry WILL eventually happen, the same as if you drive enough eventually you will have an accident.

I have a new goal as a diver ... "to aspire to be as perfect as I Dive"

I Dive .... checks are vital... I agree..... but just how many times do you check??? I wonder if the number of checks might indicate you aren't as comfortable in the water as you think?

When things upset my routine in gear set up I have a higher risk of missing something...for instance I once missed inflating my BC in the shore dive.... I simply controled my bouyancy with my lungs and inflated my BC... no stress no mess.... but I am wondering if this means I am one of the people you think shouldn't be in the water? I would hate to give up diving for a momentary lapse in a familiar environment. I even did an entry once without my reg in...OMG... maybe I should turn in my c card. I really should have anticipated the wave throwing me off balance and put the reg in sooner. Survived that one with no stress too. What I don't get are people who make sweeping statements about who should or should not be in the water based on limited and INHO biased information.

With regards to the OP incident. I concurr with the decision to head for shore. If they had her on oxyen she needed to be checked out. It could be the higher concentration of oxygen was why seemed to improve. Inhalation injuries are famous for delayed symptions. It often takes a while for inflamation and irritation in the lungs to show clinical signs of deterioration. Sounds like she was embarassed which might make her reluctant to give accurate information on ther condition. INHO this lady should have been maintained in a horizontal position, administed 100% oxygen and if you question this treatment look at your DAN First Aid book. I do think there should have been contact with Emerg Services.

Sounds like the response when asked for a refund was reasonable.

I donÃÕ agree that laziness or complacency will necessarily set in for all divers at some point in time. I agree with ID that poorly assembled equipment need never be seen in the same light as say failed equipment. I also think he is right to say that an oversight of this kind is not a ÅÎistake in the same way that a panicked diver makes poor choices while in duress. ID is absolutely correct to make this distinction in my book, whether or not people can indeed do the checks he says he does as ÅÆasily as he says they can be done. Easy or not, they should be done as he claims he does them.

Where the controversy is in this is statement is beyond me.

Of course we all need to be ready for the unexpected while diving, and I think that was what people wanted to discuss when this point originally came up. Maybe IDÃÔ confident stance appears to reject this axiomatic reality on its face. It doesnÃÕ need to be seen as a polarizing position, however. IDÃÔ contribution to the thread is to make sure people donÃÕ see all diving contingencies in the Rumsfeld-esc ÅÔtuff happens type of way. Personally, I think there is a great deal of merit in the distinction he has made if for no other reason than getting people to attempt to take these pre-dive checks more seriously: seriously on a consistent, unyielding, and thus confident basis.

That said, all divers need to also be prepared for the unknowns that a pre-dive routine canÃÕ possible save us from.

Cheers!

Some good points.

To be clear, I did not wish to suggest that errors or omissions are exclusively caused by laziness or complacency.

I agree that checking your gear more than once is a great idea, and IÃÎ happy that ID is confident in his gear-checking abilities, but confidence is a poor stand-in for preparation. For example (then I will try very hard to end my hijack of this thread)? I know for a fact, that I can attach a pressurized inflator hose to my Air2 underwater. In fact, I can do it by touch, without looking at either the hose or the connector. I know these things because I was trained to know them and to practice them. In the off chance that I have an equipment failure, or make an error in my gear checks, I know that I can also keep myself from a rapid descent by simply kicking, or by dumping my weights. I have practiced doing both. When things go wrong, (no matter what the cause is) divers must be prepared to take quick and proper action. Having the mindset that certain things canÃÕ ever happen makes this impossible.

Hetland

The last thing I want to do is become I Dive’s proxy in defending what he means and what he doesn’t mean. I’ll end my own participation in that regard and with the ongoing hijack as well by saying that being prepared and practiced with inflator hose attachment and removal (among many other things) is a fantastic idea.

Doing proper safety checks aboard the boat so that this learned skill doesn’t have to be tested directly after a water entry is also a good idea.

As far as I can tell, there is plenty of room for both of these stalwart concepts to co-exist and have co-relevancy.

From my reading of I Dive’s original point, he hasn’t tried to draw a line in the sand regarding these ideas either.

Take care, everyone!

I’m off to Beijing tonight and Phuket tomorrow. Lots in my head about how to be safe. I appreciate it all.

Cheers!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom