A question about POT!!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mooseknuckles

Registered
Reaction score
Well, Its official........Got ma gear, Got ma permit, Got the whole damn summer ahead of me.
..........So I'm at the Dept of fisheries in Boston last Fri, and while getting my first lobstah permit the woman at the desk asks me if I use pots..... :wink: ......." Yes I DO ! " I reply. So I guess now Im registered for up to 10 pots. Got bouy colors and all.
Questions:
-Now by pots do they mean traps?
-Can I go out and buy 10 traps and have a crazy summer?
-Can I put these things anywhere I want? or are there designated areas for use amateurs?
I'm sure these topics have been toked....:wacko: .....talked ......I mean discussed before so I apolgise for stale questions, But to be BLUNT,:D 10 traps sounds too good to be true.
Oh yeah, Is there a daily limit for these monsters?
Thanks in advance, and sorry for the long post.......It just sounded better that way:)

You can run 10 traps, just make sure you follow all the regs - put the ID bands on the traps, display your bouy on your boat, etc.

Aside from shipping lanes, you can set them pretty much anywhere you want; although if you put them to near commerical trawls, the guys fishing for a living with cut your gear - note: use landmarks so that if you lose gear you can dive it up. Also, don't pull your traps after sunset so as to avoid being shoot.

There's no daily limit on lobsters yet - just size restriction. BTW, if you get caught with shorts, they will take your boat and if you are hauling the boat out, the EPO will wait untill you hook up to your truck and then they'll take that too. Follow the rules and you'll be fine, just stay away from other people's gear - it's a cut throat business out there.

Good luck

Thats some some strong info there MassDiver!
You probably just saved me from the worst day of my life!
I owe ya!
Take my truck!...Gettin shot at........cuttin throats....dammit all I want is to eat the ugly little things!!! Thanks a bunch!
BTW - If ya take the "M" out of your log-in name you'd be.........ah well, I'm sure you've heard it before
"ROGER - OVER!"

mooseknuckles once bubbled...
Thats some some strong info there MassDiver!
You probably just saved me from the worst day of my life!
I owe ya!
Take my truck!...Gettin shot at........cuttin throats....dammit all I want is to eat the ugly little things!!! Thanks a bunch!
BTW - If ya take the "M" out of your log-in name you'd be.........ah well, I'm sure you've heard it before
"ROGER - OVER!"

Ya, I just wish I hadn't learned those lessons the hard way.

A guy whose name is "moosekuckles" is making fun of my user name....jesh.......:rolleyes:

OK well this post explains the guy I saw the other day trying to light a lobster trap with his zippo !!!!:confused:

MASS-Diver:
Follow the rules and you'll be fine, just stay away from other people's gear - it's a cut throat business out there.

What if you find a lost trap - no rope or bouy? Must you leave it alone, or is it "abandoned property"?

It is actually a serious crime in MA to touch fishing gear of any type that is not yours. Best just to let them be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom