A pre-dive meal at KFC or MickeyD's to reduce risk of DCS?+

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally, I like to read through the "whys" of a product, and if it sounds interesting, I am likely to try it.
With overdrive, if you are a person that does well with protein, you should get hydration and performance results far surpassing any other sports drink you have ever tried....If you were not so far away Thal, I would send you a few of my bottles :)

As far as the research being terribly meaningful for sport supplements.....with enough money, a company can make a great case for Pigs being able to fly, and have research to back it up. Gatorade is one example..... The sweetener "Equal" is a sick and equally strong example of huge money being able to make "pigs fly". Known to be carcinogenic, it was not superior to saccharin, and has been linked to numerous inflamatory conditions. Between the huge money rersearch, and an FDA that does NOT protect the public, but instead helps the big corporations and pharmeceutical giants to maintain dominance in the world, regardless of health issues, we are now getting in to the difference between good science, and prostituted science.
In the world of sports nutrition, the prostituted variety is the norm, as it is in the pharmeceutical world ( with products like statins).
I prefer to try things myself....At 56, I am still faster on the bike than most 30 year olds by a wide margin, so I must be doing something right :) Better nutrition and better hydration is a huge competitive advantage, one the 21 to 35 year olds rarely pay any attention to :)
I agree with respect to Gatoraide and most other "sports drinks," and forget about Equal and such ... there's no free lunch. But face it, with all of it's quirky side effects, aspirin, if introduced today, would be a prescription drug and cost dollars per pill.

Actually, I think that if Aspirin were to be submitted to the FDA, it most likely would be only approved for platelet activation inhibition and not for any analgesic effects since the side effect profile is so bad. My guess is that it would come with a big black box warning about overdose and Reyes and abdominal bleeding. I work for an interventional cardiologist and they may be the only guys who don't take aspirin since they think they can fix you up later.

Bill

Hi Mark,

Make no mistake, cardiac/cardiovascular abnormality and disease kill vastly more divers than DCS, both u/w and topside.

And, in those for whom it is not contraindicated, there is much to recommend the cardiovascular prophylactic effects of a small daily dose of ASA. Most of the physicians whom I know take such a dose.

However, the focus of discussion in this thread concerns taking aspirin solely for the purpose of reducing the risk DCS. As post #20 above indicates, there is no basis for believing ASA is effective in doing so.

Regards,

DocVikingo

I and many other cyclists have also found, that 2 aspirin, 30 minutes prior to a "race pace" ride ( 25 to 35mph for an hour or more) , can increase performance a great deal. It can be the difference between being dropped by the pack, and not being, or , being just a rider in the group, versus someone who is constantly attacking off the front of the pack...

I do not actually know what mechanism is responsible for this....maybe it is keeping the red blood cells more discrete ( less clumped) and better able to exchange o2 and Co2....maybe this does not happen at all, and it is just increased pain tolerance, allowing better concentration and focused performance results, and less cramping at long periods of full (HR zone 4 to 5) exertion...If either has anything at all to do with this, then it could be back in the arena of the offgassing discussion :D... Thoughts on this ?

Last edited:
I and many other cyclists have also found, that 2 aspirin, 30 minutes prior to a "race pace" ride ( 25 to 35mph for an hour or more) , can increase performance a great deal. It can be the difference between being dropped by the pack, and not being, or , being just a rider in the group, versus someone who is constantly attacking off the front of the pack...

?

This is totally off topic. Out of curosity what do you do for longer races? For marathons I'll take an anti-inflamatory about and the mid point of the race, and again an hour later.

This is totally off topic. Out of curosity what do you do for longer races? For marathons I'll take an anti-inflamatory about and the mid point of the race, and again an hour later.
One of the differences between cycling say 100 miles, and running a marathon, is the lack of impact in the cycling, not creating the same inflamation problems as running the marathon...
We have to prevent catabolic breakdown on a 100 mile ride, and we have to keep up the hydration over four hours of intense water loss--very difficult not to become dehydrated... I do this with a drink like Overdrive with the protein and carb ratio that maintains an anabolic state, and prevents me from losing so much fluid that I create more damage to muscles from that...

Personally, I think my 25 to 40 mile rides are health related, and whenever I do the 100 mile variety, I do not see this as having a health benefit--in fact, I see it as very bad for your health, and I just try to limit the damage the 4 hour intensity can create....My best advice to marathon runners, would be to run half marathons or shorter :)

I think we "evolved" to run short distances fast, and then walk/rest.....I do not think the human body should be running at a near anaerobic threshold pace for a whole hour ( even though I do this every saturday on our race-pace rides on the Palm Beach Island)....When I have done century rides, I know this is seriously unhealthy, particularly as the pace can remain too steady for too long ( I might run at a HR of 80 to 85% of AT the entire time) .....the new theory being, all efforts should be fast slow, fast slow, and so on....This being much healthier for your heart..... Don't think I helped you much with this, but it is the best I can offer :)

whenever I do the 100 mile variety, I do not see this as having a health benefit--in fact, I see it as very bad for your health, and I just try to limit the damage the 4 hour intensity can create....My best advice to marathon runners, would be to run half marathons or shorter :)

)
Hmmm...well I want to do a century and a marathon before the end of year so I am pretty much screwed. Tips from experinced athletes really are of greater value than is commonly realized. Afterall every race is a controled experiment where results are measured with a clock. Based on first hand experince I agree with you on calcium suplemention. I will have to give the Overdrive a try.

By the way I am still hung up on dehydration being a siginifcant contributor to DCS risk. I would agree that perfusion is critical to gas transport. Better hydration should in that respect lead to faster gas elimination. But it should equally lead to faster uptake so where is the net gain? Of course if you get cold or the work load varies that might not be true.

I think we "evolved" to run short distances fast, and then walk/rest.....
These guys disagree:

Well - The Human Body Is Built for Distance - NYTimes.com

The scientific evidence supports the notion that humans evolved to be runners. In a 2007 paper in the journal Sports Medicine, Daniel E. Lieberman, a Harvard evolutionary biologist, and Dennis M. Bramble, a biologist at the University of Utah, wrote that several characteristics unique to humans suggested endurance running played an important role in our evolution.
Most mammals can sprint faster than humans — having four legs gives them the advantage. But when it comes to long distances, humans can outrun almost any animal. Because we cool by sweating rather than panting, we can stay cool at speeds and distances that would overheat other animals. On a hot day, the two scientists wrote, a human could even outrun a horse in a 26.2-mile marathon.
Why would evolution favor the distance runner? The prevailing theory is that endurance running allowed primitive humans to incorporate meat into their diet. They may have watched the sky for scavenging birds and then run long distances to reach a fresh kill and steal the meat from whatever animal was there first.

Yikes! You know, relaytively speaking............in terms of competing ideas for the evolution of man, we in scuba agree completely on everything :D

In any rate, here is an article I think is helpful, in dealing with the urge to do distance - The Marathon Myth: Is It the Quickest Way to a Heart Attack?

And another one on why it is less likely evolution favored guys who wanted to run long and far :) Cardio Training - Paul Chek's Perspective 10/2/04

Dan, just for your information, it appears you have to register on the site to read those articles.

The data supporting the hypothesis that man evolved as a long distance chaser is rather strong. There are several independent lines of evidence that lead to that conclusion.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom