A possible method for prolonging regulator service time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello ...

I was wondering if you use your main reg for 6 months and use your octo as your primary for 6 months, does that mean you can go for twice as long (2 years) without the need of servicing your regulator? Has anyone done this?

Both second stages are going with you on every dive and being introduced to corrosive elements on every dive. The first stage is still in use on every dive. You'll still need to service your gear at the same interval (that interval is up to you - I service my kit when it starts to show a need and not before).

Well, personally I think you could easily just go two years anyway.....

But the answer to your question is no, switching between the two for breathing will not appreciably extend the service life IMO. Both stages are still getting pressurized, and of course the 1st stage is being used as normal.

How long a 2nd stage lasts between service is pretty variable. Unbalanced 2nds tend to put a deeper imprint on the seat over time, but that's entirely avoidable by storing the reg with the purge button partially depressed. SP used to make a little device specifically for that, and for a while they had a little 'catch' on the purge button so you could store the reg with no pressure on the seat.

I think the best thing you can do to extend the service life is make sure you get every bit of salt water out of the reg after use, and store it in a cool dry place. And, make sure when it is serviced that it's REALLY cleaned (you wouldn't believe how filthy some 'techs' leave regulators) with the correct amount (enough but not too much) of high quality lubricants used.

Or buy an Atomic...:wink: - 2 year service interval standard and their seat saver orifice solves the imprint problem^...

My advice if you want to prolong service is to be anal about washing off the saltwater ASAP after a dive day.
The issues I have seen are mostly cleaning related (or lack of), its hard for the average diver to wear out the parts by use alone.

It's your choice as to when you decide to have your regs serviced. Manufacturers recommend something like 200 dives or 1 year whichever comes first (well my APEKS ones do). Personally I have ignored both those recommendations. Although I will admit that after servicing I do notice how the performance is markedly improved, so these days I do it around the 18 month mark.

However...

It really depends on how much diving you are doing. You profile states 50-99 dives, which would suggest that you dive infrequently ( I may be wrong) if you're not anal about rinsing and drying your regs before storage then you may get an unwanted surprise when you go to use them 2 months hence.

Back
Top Bottom