A new specialty to replace SeaSigns

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael McKinney

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Just a FYI -

I'm actually working on a distinctive specialty to replace SeaSigns. I'm deaf and have been communicating underwater using ASL during dives, including while working as Dive Safety Officer at an aquarium. I'm thinking about calling it Scuba ASL or ASL for Scuba Diver, but I'm open to a better name.

Unlike SeaSigns, I won't require you to purchase any materials or learn a custom sign languages designed specifically for scuba diving - the only requirement would be an access to some ASL materials - a dictionary, a YouTube ASL channel, or a local ASL speaking people.

This distinctive specialty won't be simply learning the ASL - it'll also include reasons why you'll need to continue to be familiar with the standard scuba signs, there will be times when you shouldn't use ASL while underwater (i.e. situations where you'll need to be extremely focused, communicating using scuba signs so there's a less chance of misunderstanding and putting everybody at risk.)

Would you be interested in something like this?

Just a FYI -

I'm actually working on a distinctive specialty to replace SeaSigns. I'm deaf and have been communicating underwater using ASL during dives, including while working as Dive Safety Officer at an aquarium. I'm thinking about calling it Scuba ASL or ASL for Scuba Diver, but I'm open to a better name.

Unlike SeaSigns, I won't require you to purchase any materials or learn a custom sign languages designed specifically for scuba diving - the only requirement would be an access to some ASL materials - a dictionary, a YouTube ASL channel, or a local ASL speaking people.

This distinctive specialty won't be simply learning the ASL - it'll also include reasons why you'll need to continue to be familiar with the standard scuba signs, there will be times when you shouldn't use ASL while underwater (i.e. situations where you'll need to be extremely focused, communicating using scuba signs so there's a less chance of misunderstanding and putting everybody at risk.)

Would you be interested in something like this?
Just saw this, any updates on it?

There are challenges communicating with other divers underwater. Different communication techniques are like talking different languages. Some messages get interpreted differently. And the confusion makes it seem pointless to try. It would be really nice to have a consistent communication technique.
Which leads into our dive club having a discussion about standardizing and practicing underwater communication. Good timing. I’d like to hear more.

My wife and I have been taking ASL classes for the better part of the last 2 years. We love it. Use it all the time to communicate when voice communication is difficult due to noise or physical distance such as on an airplane and when we are at the grocery store. We have used it diving too...it enhances our ability to communicate.

One of the things we have learned is, that while there are a lot of signs in ASL that are standardized, there is also a a lot that is not standardized and totally regional throughout the US. That was a major revelation that I don't think the average person is aware of. When looking up how to sign certain words that we could not remember the sign we were taught in class. we have often found on you tube and other online sources ASL signs that were totally different than what is used in the region of the US we live in. When discussing with our instructor, she mentions that what we have found is perfectly acceptable but just not used in the area we live and if/when communicating with people in the deaf community here, they might not readily recognize or understand what we are expressing.

I am interested in learning more about what you are putting together, but am also interested in why not just promote ASL? In fact, there are a lot of sign in use in diving that are identical or very close to the ASL sign for what is being expressed.

The reality though, and this is the issue currently with diving signs, is that it takes more than 1 person to know what a sign is and it takes time to learn and digest signs in order to effectively use them to communicate....folks who dive regularly often know more dive related signs because they are using them often....this can create an issue when diving with a new or infrequent diver who only knows a rudimentary amount of signs that were used/reinforced in their open water class. It seems like the pre-dive buddy check or 5 minutes before splashing becomes a crash course in underwater dive communication which often has limited success.

For the most part, dive signs are intuitive hand gestures and not meant to be a complete communication system. Folks that dive together regularly will discuss and use the signs they have incorporated into their diving practices to best communicate, and those that join them infrequently, or vacation divers with insta-buddies, will continue to struggle or get by with the minimal signs they know.....a few people knowing ASL or a larger subset of diving related signs will not really change this....it will just help those who dive together regularly, who are willing to learn it, communicate more easily under the surface.

-Z

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom