Question Whatever happened to SeaSigns?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

veryfastfourier

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anyone know the history of what happened to SeaSigns or still use it regularly? (an expanded set of underwater communication hand signals for SCUBA modified from ASL).

I remember circa 2006/7 it was all the rage at my LDS. There was a PADI specialty, a sub-forum on ScubaBoard, and a network of instructors and dive centers with a flashy website. Their website has been non-functioning since 2018 and the domain is up for sale (if anyone wants to buy seasigns.com - I'm tempted!). PADI also seem to have purged the specialty from their website - the whole concept seems to have just faded into non-existence!

I never took any of the classes and had completely forgotten about it, but a couple on the dive boat this past weekend were using it to great effect to chat throughout the entire dive and it looked like they were having a blast (they said they had been using it on every dive for over a decade)! Clearly SeaSigns wasn't a money maker for PADI, or themselves, but I was wondering if there was some drama as to why it disappeared...

Just tried to grab seasigns.com but the domain reseller is asking $5k for it.

I'm actually working on a distinctive specialty to replace SeaSigns. I'm deaf and have been communicating underwater using ASL during dives, including while working as Dive Safety Officer at an aquarium. I'm thinking about calling it Scuba ASL or ASL for Scuba Diver, but I'm open to a better name.

Unlike SeaSigns, I won't require you to purchase any materials or learn a custom sign languages designed specifically for scuba diving - the only requirement would be an access to some ASL materials - a dictionary, a YouTube ASL channel, or a local ASL speaking people.

This distinctive specialty won't be simply learning the ASL - it'll also include reasons why you'll need to continue to be familiar with the standard scuba signs, there will be times when you shouldn't use ASL while underwater (i.e. situations where you'll need to be extremely focused, communicating using scuba signs so there's a less chance of misunderstanding and putting everybody at risk.)

Keep us informed

No, it was an instructor authored "distinctive specialty" of which there are hundreds...most of which can be taught only by the instructor who wrote the course and got it approved by PADI.
PADI also seem to have purged the specialty from their website
As a distinctive specialty, it was never on their website. It may have been advertised by some shop who had become qualified to teach it. PADI is not involved except for issuing cards....hardly a money-maker for them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom