A NEW SPECIALTY - LETS DISCUSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

[OT, but interesting]

Look at this:
Scuba Diving Industry Strategies – Scubanomics – Medium

I find this article especially interesting:
A Blue Ocean Strategy in The Scuba Diving Industry
It's basically what GUE is doing: focusing on people who can spend, and creating a community.

However, I do not believe the only way to create a blue strategy is by focusing on people who want to spend. An alternative is to focus on the new "green-friendly" people. Project diving and citizen science can do a lot in this regard.

As an instructor, I suggest you start thinking about it; Project Baseline isn't a GUE project anymore and could be a good starting point, but there are several other options. For instance, I had some chat with a scientist at Imperial College (London) who is so much interested in analyzing micro-plastics in sea, oceans and lakes, and explained to me that the equipment to do it is really cheap, then one needs only to send the samples to her (or other scientists) and the game is done.

I am really interested in these kind of things, so if you want we may discuss privately, just be aware that I do not have much time to put it into practice :)

EDIT: setting up a project like a baseline or connecting with scientists require a strong base of active divers; so it is not a starting point - it is an endpoint. If you want, I can discuss with you how some friends of mine are growing step by step in switzerland.

[OT - end]
Octopus Strategy: An Innovative Way of Distributing Dive Gear & Scuba Training to Today’s Consumers
This article is written by someone that has no idea what scuba divers want.

The PADI TecRec step by step approach is for the fainthearted. I prefer TDI's AN/Deco-procedures/Extended Range/AT. You should already have familiarity on what your body can do.
"Fainthearted"? I really do not see any reason to justify using this term other than personal opinion.
BTW, I did not do PADI tec or GUE fundies(waste of time and money; same here). LOL.

It is easy to be critical, especially when you get so much practice at it as, you do.
Can you provide a link to an article that describes what you think scuba divers want?
I don't need to prescribe to anything. My philosophy on diving is simple. As I pointed out earlier, these marketing strategists have no place in scuba forums. DEMA does not invite the general public due to all the negativity they would receive.

PS. Everyone is invited to firearm exhibitions.

prefer TDI's AN/Deco-procedures/Extended Range/AT.
The TDI sequence could also have been called Tec 40/Tec 45/Tec 55/Tec 60/Tec 100. It too is a step-by-step approach.

PS. Everyone is invited to firearm exhibitions.
How is this relevant? You sound upset; perhaps you cannot get into a DEMA show for professionals?

How is this relevant? You sound upset; perhaps you cannot get into a DEMA show for professionals?
I'm a professional in more ways than one. How is it relevant? Each weapon has certain characteristics that suit a particular purpose. No different to dive configuration. At a gun exhibition you can ask every manufacturer on sight. They'll provide info. Your local dive shop will provide false confidence and sell you what they have.

The TDI sequence could also have been called Tec 40/Tec 45/Tec 55/Tec 60/Tec 100. It too is a step-by-step approach.
From what I see of of TDI's training chart, it looks better than most. PADI only go to Tec90.

I'm a professional in more ways than one. How is it relevant? Each weapon has certain characteristics that suit a particular purpose. No different to dive configuration. At a gun exhibition you can ask every manufacturer on sight. They'll provide info. Your local dive shop will provide false confidence and sell you what they have.
So why mention DEMA? Its shows are for professionals in the diving world. Other shows are for consumers, open to all. You walk in, ask the Aqua-lung dealer a question, get an answer. It'll be a different answer than at the MARES booth next door. Same thing happens at DEMA, except you can also find out pricing if you are going to resell something. Same with dive shops; go in one get info related to what they sell. Go in the next, get different info.
Maybe you only have one local dive shop?
Use the web. Use the dive club. Use ScubaBoard.
I don't understand why your explanation of how an article misunderstands divers is related to DEMA.

DEMA isn't for manufacturer direct to consumer; its for business to business. They aren't trying to sell 1 BCD or 1 charter seat at a time. They're trying to sell 50 BCDs or full charter weeks, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom