A NEW SPECIALTY - LETS DISCUSS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

III. Student Prerequisites
• Minimum age: 16 years old.
Have logged at least:
• 24 total dives
Have the following SSI certifications or an equivalent from a recognized training agency:
• Deep Diving
• Enriched Air Nitrox 40

16 years old with as few as 25 logged dives? No parent should sign off on this course for their minor child ever.

16 years old with as few as 25 logged dives? No parent should sign off on this course for their minor child ever.

I wanted to say that a sensible tech instructor will probably assess the level of the student beforehand, so no need to be upset about these minimum requirements. But then it seems that the instructor for this course does not have to be certified to any higher tech level.
So yeah, duh.

I wanted to say that a sensible tech instructor will probably assess the level of the student beforehand, so no need to be upset about these minimum requirements. But then it seems that the instructor for this course does not have to be certified to any higher tech level.
So yeah, duh.
Big assumption on instructors being sensible. What would you say about an IT/dive center owner who has his staff leave try scuba participants in front of a cave as they bring down more participants and then go into said cave?

There's a lot of recklessness in the industry. Putting out fires with grease isn't what I'd recommend.

i think i would tend to agree with you. if for nothing else but liability reasons, i would think 18 would be more appropriate. thats just my opinion. i know tdi DP and AN courses are both 18. so is padi tech 40. when i started diving i think the minimum age to even try scuba was 16.

So yeah, duh.
It's more than that.
We don't know the affect of decompression on growing teenagers
There is no standardized way to assess their (mental) maturity and scuba instructors are the least qualified to actually do such an assessment
Should a minor child be entrusted with the care of a buddy who is unconscious or experiencing oxygen toxicity?

This program is all about money and its absolutely insane to be encouraging children as young as 16 to be in decompression at all. There is plenty for 16yos to see at <30m and within NDLs

i think i would tend to agree with you. if for nothing else but liability reasons, i would think 18 would be more appropriate. thats just my opinion. i know tdi DP and AN courses are both 18. so is padi tech 40. when i started diving i think the minimum age to even try scuba was 16.

Would not be surprised if SDI set the 16yo age specifically to capture the 16-18yo market that these other agencies are "missing". Its a money race to the bottom with these bastards not an honest assessment of appropriateness.

Would not be surprised if SDI set the 16yo age specifically to capture the 16-18yo market that these other agencies are "missing". Its a money race to the bottom with these bastards not an honest assessment of appropriateness.
SSI or SDI?

Sorry I said SDI when this is a SSI program. But they are the same actual people behind it all right?
lol, I don't think so.

But your earlier statement about the race to the bottom, I certainly agree. How to fix this industry, I don't know.

Sorry I said SDI when this is a SSI program. But they are the same actual people behind it all right?

yes this is a new ssi course we are discussing. sdi and tdi are part of training internatonal, which has nothing to do with ssi.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom