• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

A NEW SPECIALTY - LETS DISCUSS

Discussion in 'SSI: Scuba Schools International' started by rick00001967, Apr 19, 2021.

1. ginti

ginti DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    [OT, but interesting]

Look at this:
    Scuba Diving Industry Strategies – Scubanomics – Medium

I find this article especially interesting:
    A Blue Ocean Strategy in The Scuba Diving Industry
    It's basically what GUE is doing: focusing on people who can spend, and creating a community.

However, I do not believe the only way to create a blue strategy is by focusing on people who want to spend. An alternative is to focus on the new "green-friendly" people. Project diving and citizen science can do a lot in this regard.

As an instructor, I suggest you start thinking about it; Project Baseline isn't a GUE project anymore and could be a good starting point, but there are several other options. For instance, I had some chat with a scientist at Imperial College (London) who is so much interested in analyzing micro-plastics in sea, oceans and lakes, and explained to me that the equipment to do it is really cheap, then one needs only to send the samples to her (or other scientists) and the game is done.

I am really interested in these kind of things, so if you want we may discuss privately, just be aware that I do not have much time to put it into practice :)

EDIT: setting up a project like a baseline or connecting with scientists require a strong base of active divers; so it is not a starting point - it is an endpoint. If you want, I can discuss with you how some friends of mine are growing step by step in switzerland.

[OT - end]

eleniel, Esprise Me and Darcy Kieran like this.
  2. wetb4igetinthewater

wetb4igetinthewater Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    Sending you a PM. Thanks.

ginti likes this.
  3. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

4. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

A lot of experienced OW divers bounce dive to 60 metres using a pony.

5. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

Wouldn't you use 28% for 40 metres and 40% for deco?

6. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

As pointed out in a previous post by the 2006 founding member and chairman of the Freddy Krueger Fan Club, gas density in technical diving should always be a concern when the participants live and work in a clinically-controlled bubble (air-conditioned office/home/car), or are approaching depths in excess of 265 (MSW) using CCR. I’m sure Starnawski and Goodman could provide adequate findings. Some people don’t have the physical intelligence to be OC or CCR divers. Real men have been tested and exposed to hostile climates from -27 to 50 C. Pilots are tested against g-forces to see their response while recovering from a blackout. I test my Divemasters by making them do the 400 metre swim 100 metre gag. Navy parlance: never try to out-swim the equipment.

7. tursiops

tursiops Marine Scientist and Master Instructor ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 2,500 - 4,999
    Whatever.

eleniel and LCoolio like this.
  8. rick00001967

rick00001967 Tech Instructor

your quote of my post was the ssi standards. so the standard is just saying that 40% is the max blend the student can use. where and how to use it would be taught during the course.

9. Centrals

Centrals Barangay Pasaway

# of Dives:
    Nothing wrong with that. SSI standard afterall.
    PADI also has Tec 40, 45 etc etc
    Step by step.

10. Scuba Client

Scuba Client Banned

The PADI TecRec step by step approach is for the fainthearted. I prefer TDI's AN/Deco-procedures/Extended Range/AT. You should already have familiarity on what your body can do.