A new normal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for medical advice, I have little to share other than that, besides the physical benefits, any amount of exercise has been proven to be an effective antidepressant. Losing weight can only help to take some of the stress off of your back.
What I would also advise, based on the experience of many friends, unless you have lost a limb or limbs, are completely bed bound, or are blind, expect to be denied on your initial claim. Have a lawyer in the wings who specializes in these claims. You don't have to pay them, SS pays their fee when you get it and most don't charge unless they win.
A co-worker who had to leave work last November after being diagnosed with liver, bone, and brain cancer was turned down. He was unable to walk or drive, so weak he could not stay awake for more than several hours at a time due to the chemo, and had a port installed managed to contact an attorney who took his case. Sadly he died two months before his hearing.
Line someone up now.
And good luck with everything.
My late wife went through three powerchairs. The one she was first set up with was way too fast and large for the house. There are still some reminders in her mom's hallway.
The second had battery issues and was always losing a charge for no reason.
The 3rd one worked until her muscular dystrophy progressed to where she couldn't manage the controls.
Her scooter with the swivel seat was the most versatile and easy to use. Also much more compact and easier to maneuver in small spaces.
But the 3 wheels made it dicey on any sloped surface.

It helped my sciatica but that's probably peanuts to what you're experiencing.
I'm having a problem with my piriformis nerve. While the sciatica goes through the pelvis to the inside of the thigh, the piriformis wraps around from the butt, then around the outside of the pelvis and down to the top of the knee.

Line someone up now.
Interesting. I had not thought of that. How do I find a competent attorney who does these things in Cave Country?

As for medical advice, I have little to share other than that, besides the physical benefits, any amount of exercise has been proven to be an effective antidepressant. Losing weight can only help to take some of the stress off of your back.
What I would also advise, based on the experience of many friends, unless you have lost a limb or limbs, are completely bed bound, or are blind, expect to be denied on your initial claim. Have a lawyer in the wings who specializes in these claims. You don't have to pay them, SS pays their fee when you get it and most don't charge unless they win.
A co-worker who had to leave work last November after being diagnosed with liver, bone, and brain cancer was turned down. He was unable to walk or drive, so weak he could not stay awake for more than several hours at a time due to the chemo, and had a port installed managed to contact an attorney who took his case. Sadly he died two months before his hearing.
Line someone up now.
And good luck with everything.
My late wife went through three powerchairs. The one she was first set up with was way too fast and large for the house. There are still some reminders in her mom's hallway.
The second had battery issues and was always losing a charge for no reason.
The 3rd one worked until her muscular dystrophy progressed to where she couldn't manage the controls.
Her scooter with the swivel seat was the most versatile and easy to use. Also much more compact and easier to maneuver in small spaces.
But the 3 wheels made it dicey on any sloped surface.

+1 on expecting to be denied first time out for Social Security Disability and lining up an attorney.

Interesting. I had not thought of that. How do I find a competent attorney who does these things in Cave Country?
I'm sure we both know a couple of attorneys who may be able to give some advice on this :wink:
Do a search for disability lawyers near you. They are limited in what they can charge by Soc Sec and the fee for them comes out of your back pay. You pay nothing up front.
When you do a search a butt load of people will come up. Some are national firms that work with associates in your area. Nothing wrong with that.
But if you can find someone local in Gainesville or High Springs they may be more communicative and know the administrative law judges in your area that hear cases for Soc Sec.
That's a plus because they can make sure you have the documentation those judges like to see.
Not endorsing her but check this out. She comes to you. Law Office of Mary McCarthy, LLC

I found this doing a google search for "disability attorneys in alachua florida" and she was one that came up.
There is another that advertises doing claims for over 30 years.

As someone with a collection of injuries between high school and college sports and active duty, I would reiterate that weight loss has always been the most effective non surgical tactic. Most people think it's because of less pressure on joints and that certainly is important. But one thing that a lot of people don't realize is that fat basically acts like an organ in the body and one of the things that it excels at is producing systematic inflammation. I absolutely know that for a fact because I have gotten relief from pain after weight loss in non weight bearing areas. I say this of course as someone who should lose about 50-60 pounds and just keep it off for the rest of my life 😭

I'm having a problem with my piriformis nerve. While the sciatica goes through the pelvis to the inside of the thigh, the piriformis wraps around from the butt, then around the outside of the pelvis and down to the top of the knee.
No decent tips, but I messed up a disc (L5 S1) in Cocos last year and it ended up impinging the piriformis nerve that travels down my left cheek and leg. It was up there in the top 10 most painful life events that I can recall and the worst part is it maintained that level of pain for a few weeks until a bunch of drugs, heating pads, etc. made it so I could at least sleep again. I'm still on the road to recovery after a few months of PT, but I'm not sure it'll ever be right again. Still have numbness and tingling, etc. Now that I re-read it, that was rather long winded to contain absolutely zero advice.. Being in chronic pain sucks and it's easy to want to give up. Hang in there, Pete.

Do you know how you did it? Climbing back into a panga or something else? I did something similar years ago lifting a heavy O2 tank into an ambulance, but it eventually got better.

Get a prescription for medical marijuana. It will help with the pain and make the wheelchair feel like a Ferrari.

Gawd... Back in the 80's pot only made my back pain worse, as I could only focus on it. I never knew there were two strains of pot back then. Perhaps a straight indica plant would help, but I would be leery....

Do you know how you did it? Climbing back into a panga or something else? I did something similar years ago lifting a heavy O2 tank into an ambulance, but it eventually got better.
Nope, not exactly.. it happened when we were touring the ranger station. I was crossing that suspension bridge and all of a sudden my leg/butt area started killing me. Could be bouncing around on the gunwale of the pangas all week on my ass and then the bouncing/slamming motion on my feet/legs/spine crossing that bridge? Who knows.. I am pain free now and have no physical restrictions...just the neuropathy stuff still comes and goes. As you said, I suspect the healing curve has flattened out quite a bit at this stage and the final bit of it is just going to take a lot more time.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom