A new normal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A new reality. A new normal. Last year, I was my sister's sole caregiver as she was in her final weeks of life. I was not fully trained in how to assist her, and on January 15th i severely injured my back. I've had one surgery already, and about 2 months after, a new pain emerged. They've given me two steroid injections, but my back pain is worsening. It used to be I could stand for five/ten minutes, but now the nerve is in pain/tension all the time. I think I'm mentally blocking most of the pain, so I just feel the tension. Standing up is over the limit, and I often have pain induced Tourette's. Walking is better than standing, but it also hurts. Sigh. I went to my physician today and I'm going to apply for full disability. Since I live alone, she's going to start the paperwork for a motorized wheelchair... I don't want a scooter. I can survive in the house, but I can't clean anymore. It's an emotional day. I am getting two more steroid shots next Friday and a nerve conduction study the Wednesday after.

It's been well over a year and I'm still in pain. I'm hoping for relief, but I won't believe it until I have no more pain. It's time to plan like this will be permanent. I'm not so much disappointed as I am resigned to it. I don't want to stop trying whatever I can do to be whole again, but I just don't see it happening.

So, talk to me about options. I'm starting my online application for full disability. As I noted my physician is doing the paperwork for a wheelchair. I can walk a few minutes at a time, and I feel relief in the water. What's next? What are your suggestions, and please be verbose. I need specifics. Type slowly so I can keep up. :D :D :D

@DiveHeart
Get a prescription for medical marijuana. It will help with the pain and make the wheelchair feel like a Ferrari.

PS... and sorry if I miss responding to everyone.

Both the springs I like to go to use stairs. While it was fun to use a tank (it's been over a year and a half), I think I just want to swim for now. I guess my big worry, is how do I manage the stairs better? At Itchetuckne Springs the stairs barely go into the water. It's a 3 foot drop. Actually, it's the same at Troy. I think there might be a lift at Itchetuckne, but that means I'll have to have a second person with me.

Has anyone seen this handled smoothly? I hardly gave it a thought before.

Park close by and put a winch on your rig. Hook the winch up to your crotch strap and use a wireless remote to haul you up and in.

Get a prescription for medical marijuana. It will help with the pain and make the wheelchair feel like a Ferrari.
Only if I don't have to smoke it. Yeah, I'm an old time fan of Cheech and Chong (remember Bassetball Jones?), but I was never a stoner. I don't like my senses numbed... except for the narcosis I get at 80 FSW, where there seems to be no pain. :D
Park close by and put a winch on your rig. Hook the winch up to your crotch strap and use a wireless remote to haul you up and in.
As close as I can get is still phenomenally far away for me. Mybe I'll start a GFundMe to buy one of those swimming spas that allow you to swim in place. Some use bungees, while others create a flow to work against

There was a beach in Malibu that I liked to dive but the steps down to the sand had been washed out and there was a 6' drop at the end of the trail. I bought a bunch of 2x4s and built a sturdy ladder so I could safely climb up and down with my gear on. I put a chain on it and staked it to the hillside so it wouldn't wash away.

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

Only if I don't have to smoke it. Yeah, I'm an old time fan of Cheech and Chong (remember Bassetball Jones?), but I was never a stoner. I don't like my senses numbed... except for the narcosis I get at 80 FSW, where there seems to be no pain. :D

As close as I can get is still phenomenally far away for me. Mybe I'll start a GFundMe to buy one of those swimming spas that allow you to swim in place. Some use bungees, while others create a flow to work against
Get low dose edibles made with Indica Strain extracts. Indica is supposed to be the Body High strain.

This is of course all second hand knowledge, as I have no personal experience since I have no med card and it is otherwise verboten in the enlightened state of Pennsylvania.

Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.
That's always been my forte. When life gives me lemons, I don't just make lemonade, I open a stand. :D

In DM, I wrote this and I think it might shed more light on the situation.
I have confidence in this team now. The second doctor I saw of this team really let things slide, and I went to another team in town. I was even more disappointed. It turns out, this team of doctors is truly the best. UF Health has an excellent reputation, and when I went back, the Doctor that I did not like was parting ways. I think he was fired, but no one will spill the tea on that. :D The two guys I'm seeing have restored my confidence, in the entire group. They are confident I will need another surgery... confident may not be the right word there. But they need to calm the nerve down, do another MRI and really see the problem. They can tell by the last one, that one of my discs have simply shifted off the pad. It's not ruptured, but slightly slipped. In the MRI they can see that the nerves are swollen and that they might be causing the slip. The injections are the only way to find out.​

As a caveat, I love the responses, but I don't want my disability to define me. I mean, I haven't spent nearly the amount of time on this that I have on this thread. Don't stop giving me suggestions. Some are going to work, others not so much, and a few will give me a chuckle. In that DM where I quoted myself, the user posted that Nerves are like Mothers in Law, it's easy to offend them and they always hold a grudge. Yah, baby. I don't think I ever offended my MiL, but I know I came close a few times. :D The now Ex, would always let me know in time for me to avoid that trap. Ain't nobody happy if mamma ain't happy and that goes triple for your MiL. :D :D :D

I tried looking for swim/therapy spa pricing but everything required contacting them. I went to look for dealers and that was the same rabbit hole. Master Spa looks promising but I didn't want to give them false hope from my $ questions. Interwebs said about $10k on the low end.

Fanning Spring is VERY handicapped accessible for getting into the water as I remember it from Christmas 2022. There are aluminum ramps down into the water where the water was maybe waist deep. Long ramp to the spring itself from parking lot. It’s shallow. I think the spring boil itself is only 15ft deep. I was there to work on some stuff I needed open water for. There were people swimming and snorkeling while I was diving.

Might be a drive for you, but it should be accessible for you.

Anyway, sorry to hear about the back. That sucks. I know what it’s like to have to work around stuff due to my knees (diagnosed with severe osteoarthritis last year).

I'll start a GFundMe to buy one of those swimming spas that allow you to swim in place. Some use bungees, while others create a flow to work against
We have a swim spa, shame you're not closer as you'd be welcomed to use it any time. It's exactly what would be good for you (except maybe the steps in and out).

I've watched my father in law go though 9 back surgeries after he was in a car accident that wasn't his fault. I know that sounds like utter turmoil, and it was, but there was a light at the end of the tunnel. His last surgery did the trick and he's very much back to normal. He was so bad he couldn't sit in a chair, he had to lay flat on his back on something hard anywhere he went. He was miserable for a long time, but now he is living his best life just outside Pensacola.

Point is, there is hope, never give up hope.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom