A new normal...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I do have one quick suggestion. Have you tried a back brace?

When I had my L3-L4 blowout they fitted me with a "Medical Device" brace which was both $$$$ and uncomfortable. I guess it helped but so much was going on and evolving then it is hard to judge well. That initial episode eventually (and happily) was mostly corrected with surgery (laminectomy).

With my ongoing series of herniations and other lumbar disk "irritations", I have been using an off the shelf elastic and velcro brace with Stainless stays. It has been really helpful in reducing my vertical-loading pain (standing, walking, etc.) when it flares. The compression seems to both stabilize the musculature around my spine and to subtly decompress (unload/stretch) the lumbar spine. I even dove with it for my Solo/ITT in December and left my spare with my instructor there who was also experiencing back issues.

Acupuncture?
I have friends/family that swear by it for back issues.

Very sorry to hear this. Sending good vibes your way! Does your Doc think physical therapy could help? Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.

I have 3 times herniated a disk (2x in L4-5 and once in C4-5) surgery all three times for me. Have you consulted with a surgeon?

I tweaked my back a couple weeks ago and finally got into see doctor after a chiropractic tried to adjust L1, L2, and L3. Doc seems to think I have a disc bulging between L3 and L4, but MRI’s are scheduled.

I hope as you read this that you know you are not alone. I have had excruciating pain this past week like never before.

I am sure there will be many praying for you. I hope you can be in a place to meditate and feel the healing power from Him to whose those prayers are directed.

Accupunture has indeed helped my wife in the past with her pain associated with cancer. Just find someone who specializes in your specific pain.

Lastly, it’s easy in a time like this to have dark thoughts thinking you will never get better. But you will, brother. Have faith.

That sucks Pete, are there any surgical options like fusion? Scrunches may help by fighting up the abdominal muscles. I would avoid long term injections as they accelerate wear to the bone but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

suggestions, in somewhat random (not prioritized) order -

Be careful with pain management through medication. Yes, it can help, but it can also mask the pain, which means that unless the pain cannot be relieved, you're potentially doing further damage which you're not feeling. Plus of course the possibility of dependence, (aka addiction).

Always, always, always get a second, or even third opinion when looking at serious issues - particularly when it's your body.

Losing weight can only help, it's less burden for the skeleton, and less burden on the heart. Given your physical constraints as I understand them, the only way to do that is by dropping your caloric intake. Cut the garbage from your diet and eat less. Not fun, not glamorous, but it works. I dropped forty pounds doing just that.

You stated that "walking is better than standing", and "I can walk a few minutes at a time, and I feel relief in the water". Based on that, I'd suggest walking and spending time in the water, for a couple of obvious reasons.

Walking is easy exercise, it's good for your mental health to get outside, and Vitamin D from the sun is just plain good for you. Sitting inside, staring at the walls, (or worse the tv), will drive you insane.

Being in the water gives you the chance to relax, let the water take most of your weight, and gently stretch. It gives you another reason to get out of the house which is good for your mental health. Difficulty is going to begetting from your house to the water. I don't know you, perhaps you have a pool in your backyard and it's easy. Probably not, but look at it as a logistics issue not an insurmountable problem.

I was pretty much laid up for about three months after wrecking a bike. What kept me going was a plan, a direction to move in. Try to set goals in conjunction with your medical staff. They need to be realistic, achievable, but also force you to move forward.

Best of luck - not a fun place to be in.

Try not to view it as a New Normal. Maybe a morphing into a new....era?! I'm 45 but 12 years ago, I was diagnosed with seronegative rheumatoid arthritis. Sounds pretty made up in my opinion but after numerous docs, that's apparently what it is. Since the first day, I've been in pain. I've had surgeries and injections but honestly, corticosteroids are love/hate with me. They ease the inflammation but make me feel like utter garbage.

While my condition isn't as debilitating as yours, for me at 33 (at the time), I felt like life was over. I had kids to raise and I couldn't move. Hands wouldn't open, knees in pain, back in pain, the works. After my initial sulking session (for a few months), I got back on the horse and began trying to do my regular stuff.

While everybody and every BODY is different, what works for me is: Turmeric -- at least 1g of turmeric/day. Irwin Naturals is the only one that I can feel work. And I've tried oodles of others. Exercise -- I lift heavy but my massage therapist tells me when I complain about my back, is that a major cause of back pain is a weak core; so I try to work that as I can. Walking -- Even if it kills my knees, if I move, I keep the joints moving and ultimately easing pain.

Really hate to hear this but you're getting awesome advice from others. Congrats on the recent weight loss. Wishing you nothing but health and happiness.

I do have one quick suggestion. Have you tried a back brace?
Not a prescription one, no. The OTC braces feel like they should work, but they don't. I do find pressure on the back seems to help, so I'm thinking of using my TENS unit on it and see if that disrupts the cycle.
Very sorry to hear this. Sending good vibes your way! Does your Doc think physical therapy could help? Hang in there and keep us posted on your progress.
I tried PT for 3 months last year. Physical therapy and stretching hurt without creating any benefits. It's off the table until they can reduce the pinching.
You stated that "walking is better than standing"
Think of is as the difference between being stung by a wasp or being stung twice by a wasp. Neither are tenable for the long term. Unfortunately, as I'm losing my gut, which I am, I'm also losing some muscle mass from sitting for such a long period of time. Where I used to average over 12,000 steps in a day, I'm lucky to get a thousand in.
Being in the water gives you the chance to relax,
While it sounds great on paper, getting to and from the water is literally a PITA. And I do mean literally. It absolutely hurts my butt to walk that far, much less an 1/8 of that distance, so I'll wait on the wheelchair before I make that a recurring activity. It still takes effort and enduring pain to get up and down the stairs, or even to put fins on. At least no one can see you cry from the pain under the waves.
what works for me is: Turmeric
My go-to spice. My nephew once asked me if there's anything I don't put turmeric on. Cookies? Ice cream? But now that I've typed it, I might have to try it. :D I had no idea it might also have health benefits. Thanks. :D :D :D

Caveat: there seems to be no cookies in my house. I do buy little cups of ice cream. If I buy the quart sizes I tend to overeat them. Every other or third night, especially if Tink is present we share a cup. She simply loves ice cream. It's the only people food any of them get. After we finish the little cup together, she plops on my chest, purrs contentedly, and cleans by beard, mustache, and eyebrows.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom