A more specific scenario

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

captain:
Water is water, wind is wind and waves are waves. Doesn't much matter where. When the wind gets to force 6 you better be able to handle a boat no matter what size and most good boats can operate in heavier weather than their operators can safely. I had operated small boats for 25 years but it wasn't until I faced steady 55 knot winds with gusts to 70 knots for two and a half hours during a late summer cold front on the Gulf of Mexico in a 31 foot boat did I really gain confidence in my ability. Over a dozen boats sunk that day, some bigger than mine.

Sorry sir, but you are really off base. While nothing can replace good boating skills - no matter where you are, short period lake waves are certainly much more dangerous that like size ocean waves. A 20' great lakes wave can destroy a freighter as 200 years of wrecks in the great lakes can attest.

I knew that would stir up a fuss. What you Michigoners don't realize is that the Gulf has that type of wave as well sometimes, sometimes not, sometimes it is a big lake with glassy water and 100 foot viz. When you guys get a storm a ship sinks, when the the Gulf throws a fuss cities go underwater and boats get washed 30 miles inland. So, whether it is the Great Lakes or the Pacific or the Gulf, wherever, if your out there and should not be then your in for a heap-o trouble!!!!! and it won't matter much if your in a 20 footer or a 30 footer. N

Nemrod:
I knew that would stir up a fuss. What you Michigoners don't realize is that the Gulf has that type of wave as well sometimes, sometimes not, sometimes it is a big lake with glassy water and 100 foot viz. When you guys get a storm a ship sinks, when the the Gulf throws a fuss cities go underwater and boats get washed 30 miles inland. So, whether it is the Great Lakes or the Pacific or the Gulf, wherever, if your out there and should not be then your in for a heap-o trouble!!!!! and it won't matter much if your in a 20 footer or a 30 footer. N

My point exactly, no body of water has only one type of wave system. Under the right conditions any type of wave can be generated anywhere And sometimes large ships are more at risk in high short period waves than a small boat would be. Large ships have broken in half when the bow and stern get lifted by a large short period wave and have no bouyant support in the center of the hull.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom