A mid-week escape from Cozumel...Holbox...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome Christi !!! A lifetime memory !!! See you , SS

paulpost:
Thank you very much for the link.
Another question if you don't mind, as long as is a snorkeling trip so no scuba tanks allowed but what about pony bottles?
Thanks

No scuba, period. The bubbles scare them away!

paulpost:
Thank you very much for the link.
Another question if you don't mind, as long as is a snorkeling trip so no scuba tanks allowed but what about pony bottles?
Thanks

For a chance to scuba with whale sharks, go to Belize during the season there, which I believe is March-May or June for a limited number of days around the full moon cycles. They come to an area called Gladden Spit, a marine reserve. It's very regulated with each approved shop receiveing only a limited number of "tickets" for each period. Supposedly the tickets are for specific time periods only. (Only 6 boats allowed in the specified area at a time and for a max of 2hrs, but I'm not sure how many per boat...) This is also spawning season for snapper and grouper so they get thousands of them in Gladden Spit. The spawning attracts the whale sharks - an easy meal for them. Understandably, viz is supposed to be less then stellar, but it's still a trip that's on my "to do" list.

I did have a chance encounter in a very unlikely place in Mexico at an odd time of year last year where on our decent at about 10ft we were joined for about 4min by a baby whale shark who was about 20ft. It circled back after it went past us and actually came really close. It was definately the most amazing dive experience I've had to date. Since we weren't in-season or anywhere near where they are during the season, it was very special. That experience moved a spring Belize trip a few notches up the future trip list.

DandyDon:
That would be Scuba with a small tank. And I don't know why you'd want to? I have done this yet - a month away, but I understand the snorkeling is great. What did you want to do, chase them down?
I intend to get my video camcorder and being able to stay longer U/W will give me better chance to film them.

paulpost:
I intend to get my video camcorder and being able to stay longer U/W will give me better chance to film them.
Well, you'll do it with a snorkel. But as shallow as I understand they usually swim, I don't think that'll be a problem. If one descends, you're not going to keep up with it anyway.

paulpost:

A SCUBA tank of any size is simply not an option, no matter who you go with, they aren't going to let you take it. The operators who do the whale shark excursions all work together and follow the rules, so it's not a matter of some allowing SCUBA and others not. The rules are very strict and marine park officials are actually on the pier inspecting each boat as they leave.

DandyDon:
Well, you'll do it with a snorkel. But as shallow as I understand they usually swim, I don't think that'll be a problem. If one descends, you're not going to keep up with it anyway.

Yes, they are on the surface...once they dive down deep, no one is going to keep up with them without an UW scooter...which is also strictly prohibited. They move a lot faster that it seems and only an Olympic swimmer could even come close to keeping up with them as they swim.

Christi:
They move a lot faster that it seems and only an Olympic swimmer could even come close to keeping up with them as they swim.

They really do! From a distance they look so graceful and as if they are barely moving at all. When I had my experience with one, and it was a small one, they move effortlessly but they really cover alot of ground. When it was within a few feet I was pushed back by the water. They are big creatures and even a slight move that big tail really propels them.

Thanks to everybody who posted on this subject.
Regarding taking pictures or video recording, what kind of W/A lens would be the best, regular W/A, semi-fisheye or full fisheye lens?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom