A little help with my Hogarthian bp/w please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can turn the angled valve so it is more parallel with your shoulders, and you can do stretches.

Last edited:
Why do you want to reach the valve?

So he can open it under water when the dumb-ass "jive master" turns it off just before he jumps in the water. Happened to me in FL. I also had to un-buckle the waist strap.

Last edited:
Why do you want to reach the valve?
Because everything I have read about DIR says that the valves should be reachable. Maybe this only applies to doubles, but I can think of situations where it might save my life if I were to make braindead mistakes prior to descending.

I find this video very informative.

Yeah I've watched that one about 5 times. Everything else on the harness feels right and i think is right according to guides and videos, except that I can't reach the valve. I'm willing to live with that, but it makes me think the I'm doing something wrong.

Getting a single tank wing with tank stabilizers built in will allow you to eliminate the metal tank stabilizer and the tank will be a little closer to your back.

I think most people have a hard time reaching a single tank vaive without pushing the bottom of the tank up with their left hand. You could mount the tank higher but then it will hit the back of your head when you tilt your head back.

My unsolicited comments about your pics. Ignore if you prefer:

You may want to consider moving your weight pockets off your shoulders onto your top cam band. This way, when on the surface, the wing has less of a tendency to push your face down into the water when fully inflated.

I personally prefer the waist buckle a little more toward the front. I don't use a can light and have a D ring on my right waist.

If you are not using a scooter, you may find a thinner crotch strap is more comfortable and causes less wear and tear on your suit.

Getting a single tank wing with tank stabilizers built in will allow you to eliminate the metal tank stabilizer and the tank will be a little closer to your back.

I think most people have a hard time reaching a single tank vaive without pushing the bottom of the tank up with their left hand. You could mount the tank higher but then it will hit the back of your head when you tilt your head back.

My unsolicited comments about your pics. Ignore if you prefer:

You may want to consider moving your weight pockets off your shoulders onto your top cam band. This way, when on the surface, the wing has less of a tendency to push your face down into the water when fully inflated.

I personally prefer the waist buckle a little more toward the front. I don't use a can light and have a D ring on my right waist.

If you are not using a scooter, you may find a thinner crotch strap is more comfortable and causes less wear and tear on your suit.
Ok thanks for the advice. One of the weight pockets is empty I just haven't removed it yet. It took a 2 lb weight there to keep me from rolling to one side when still and hovering.
I originally put the weight pockets on my tank straps, but when I was trying to dial in my trim/buoyancy I followed the advice of another user and tried just being still and seeing what happens. I found that with the STA I was slightly back heavy and when I stayed completely still I would toll onto my back. With a 2lb weight on top of my shoulder I can stop moving completely and stay in the diving position.

I appreciate any advice, solicited or not, so if this raises any other points please don't hold back.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom