a little freaked out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know if this will make any sense but I'll give it a whirle...

Snorkeling and diving do have something in common, they both occur in the water. They seem to be very different though. Try this, stand in the middle of your living room, look down at your feet, now walk around for a little bit. In my opinion, this represents what it is like to snorkel on top of a lake. You only have one visual direction. As your walking around see if you bump into something, If it were me and I hit something, it would startle me. I couldn't see it coming.

Now, pick up your head and look around. Try walking around the house like this (normal position). See how much nicer it is, you can see in front and to the sides of you, and if you want you can turn your head and look back. Chances are you won't bump into anything. To me, this represents what it's like to dive.

Yes, in bad vis I can still be a little startled when things come into view seemingly out of nowhere but it's not as bad. In bad vis, I move much more slowly so even when things do come into view, I can react to avoid them. For me it's just much more comfortable.

If I could reccomend anything it would be to try a discover scuba type class. This is where for about $25 or so, a shop will get you all geared up and put you in a pool with an instructor for an hour or two and let you 'discover' what it's like to breath underwater. See if you like it, see if your OK going under with the gear, see if your more comfortable being under as opposed to on the water. If not, then your only out $25, If you like it, then come back and read some threads about how to find an instructor and begin your adventure.

If you do decide to get certified there is nothing that says you have to dive in mud either. If you don't want to dive in terrible vis then you don't. There is nothing wrong with that. Their are many people who only dive when they travel to warm pool clear water locations. You may find that with expierence you become more and more comfortable underwater and can dive in reduced vis.

Good luck
Ken

And again some great advice. Makes me feel so much better. The scuba shop in my town will intro me for free, so thats awesome. I plan on doing it when I get some free time, the next couple weeks are getting hectic. My brother is actually taking me to Rhode Island spearfishing on the 25th, so Ill get a sense of some real water with great vis. I spoke with him today and the vis is usually 25'+ depending on tidal conditions.

New Storm,
First off how old are you? I am concerned that you are freaking out and please don't think this is me trying to talk you out of diving but I am concerned about peoples safety. Yes diving is an incredible sport and yes things are going to appear out of the blue in the water. I am more concerned that you are going to "freak out" if something happens to your equipment. I think the discover scuba would be a good course for you.

cobaltbabe:
New Storm,
First off how old are you? I am concerned that you are freaking out and please don't think this is me trying to talk you out of diving but I am concerned about peoples safety. Yes diving is an incredible sport and yes things are going to appear out of the blue in the water. I am more concerned that you are going to "freak out" if something happens to your equipment. I think the discover scuba would be a good course for you.

I'm 25. I do realize there are things that are going to happen that are suprising, and I am prepared to face these things. I am not a panicky person and I do well under stress. Yes I will do the intro to scuba first, as should everyone. I am, little by little getting used to suprises under the water. As for the equipment, I am confident that I will be able to handle difficult situations, with the proper training. I know this all sounds wierd, but please dont confuse me with someone who screams bloody murder when something bumps my foot under water. Besides I am super determined to beat this small bump in the road. :wink:

I prefer scuba over snorkelling.

I like being able to breathe underwater :wink:

Snorkelling can be quite scary when you encounter the unknown because you know you only have that lungful. I'd been snorkelling quite a lot, and on my first scuba lessons the instructor had to remind to breathe when I was under the water. It was quite an eye-opener! :D

You'll be fine.

OK everyone, I had my first experience in very clear water today. 25' vis in West Hill pond 5 mins from my house.It was mostly rock piles with boulders and small cliffs some weeds here and there and super clear. The water actually looked blue. It was breathtaking to say the least. I had no problems with structure or weeds of any kind. I actually found myself crawling on my stomach through about 18" of water following some big largemouths through reeds. It was freakin awesome. I cant wait to scuba!!! There was a couple trees underwater and I found myself swimming under them and though thier branches. I also caught a 3' banded watersnake at the boat launch. What a day!!!

new storm:
OK everyone, I had my first experience in very clear water today. 25' vis in West Hill pond 5 mins from my house.It was mostly rock piles with boulders and small cliffs some weeds here and there and super clear. The water actually looked blue. It was breathtaking to say the least. I had no problems with structure or weeds of any kind. I actually found myself crawling on my stomach through about 18" of water following some big largemouths through reeds. It was freakin awesome. I cant wait to scuba!!! There was a couple trees underwater and I found myself swimming under them and though thier branches. I also caught a 3' banded watersnake at the boat launch. What a day!!!

West Hill Pond? That's two streets away from me. I can't wait to dive there. There are several members here who have expressed an interest in diving there. What shop are you going to locally that will give you a free intro? I was just certified in April haven't stopped diving since. I have met a ton of great people, especially at the quarry in Portland. PM me if you would like some info on the shop I used for my classes. You should definitely get certified.

CTmax, I go to Central Sales Scuba in Thomaston, there Ken said he will give a free intro at the Naugatuck YMCA. At the Torrington Y it might be a few bucks. I have heard about quarry pond in Portland, cant wait to try it out someday. Yes there are many people who dive west hill. My 65 yo uncle has dived that lake many years ago. We saw other snorkelers there too. It seems to be a hot spot. Actually I think Im going back there today w/ my girlfriend. What shop do you use?

You're hooked! Congratulations. Keep up the skin-diving, it will be a great head start.

Pete

new storm:
CTmax, I go to Central Sales Scuba in Thomaston, there Ken said he will give a free intro at the Naugatuck YMCA. At the Torrington Y it might be a few bucks. I have heard about quarry pond in Portland, cant wait to try it out someday. Yes there are many people who dive west hill. My 65 yo uncle has dived that lake many years ago. We saw other snorkelers there too. It seems to be a hot spot. Actually I think Im going back there today w/ my girlfriend. What shop do you use?

For one thing, diving you will be on the same level of the weeds and stumps and may see them sooner than snorkeling and with that perspective, you might no freak out so bad.

Also, experience is the best cure for everything, at first you still may be startled by these objects, but with time, you should be much more calm and used to it.

Then when you can, head for the tropical ocean where you won't have to worry about things just showing up out of the murk. That's when you realize spending all that money to get the card and make the trip were worth it!

Everyone has had some kind of jitters or skill problem or something that they have trouble with when they first start to dive. This is totally normal and experience is the only cure.

Hope your able to get the cert soon and join the undersea world.

Back
Top Bottom