A Helping Hand

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kayla

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I wouldn't normally post about this kind of stuff, but I kind of feel that I need to this time.... :

As some of you know, my dad works for the Sheriffs Office here in our county. One of the road officers, who my family has known for years, had a son that was diagnosed with cancer when he was just little. (Hes a year older then me.) Well, withing the last month or so, things went downhill, and Joey has only been given just a couple weeks to live. Understandably, the family is pretty upset. His dad, Dan, has taken the next month or so off of work to be with his son, but most of the time he has taken without pay... and they were already about seriously in debt with medical bills.

So... the Police Group that I do a lot of volunteering for has set up a donation collection committe, and I am "on" this committee.... and I kinda feel that I need to tell everyone that I can about this.... Dan just needs to spend time with his kid before he dies... and the sheriffs dept. won't pay for it. So, I asking that anyone that wants to help to please do! Just e-mail me if you're interested, I can't tell you how much it would mean to Dan and Joey and the rest of their family... and not too mention how much it would mean to me.

I normally don't post this kind of stuff.. so if its not allowed or something, just delete it.

Thanks ya'll!!

((((((((((BIG HUGS))))))))))
Kayla

I know that divers are incredibly caring people... so I thought that maybe a few people would consider helping.

My e-mails are: (If you need to get into contact with me....)
k_maskell03@hotmail.com
kaylamaskell@peoplepc.com
kaylamaskell@verizon.net

Kayla,

This is an unfortunate situation, and I wish the best for them.

I don't know that SB could allow such posts, though. If we start this sort of thing, what all do we allow? Requesting prayers has been done, but not money - I don't think?

I'd suggest running this by your Mod-Buddy.

Good luck, don

Hi Kayla,

Life is never really fair....and in this case it especially isn't fair at all. You can PM me some info if you like.
I'll bring it to the attention of the others and see what they say.

Aloha
Lisa

Leesa, I just tried to send you a reply to your message, but it says that you can't recieve any more messages because your box is too full?

Another option may be to take up a collection of un-used sick days from fellow deputies. We do it here when there's an emergency like this one. Last year our friends little daughter died of cancer, we held a benifit to raise money, and also, all the cops donated sick days to the deputy to allow him time with his daughter. Best wishes to the family

We're doing that as well... but were having some trouble with the department... and there not letting us donate as much time as we would like.... so setting up a donation is the only way for us to be able to do anything..... were going to continue to keep working on it though!

Popularity sucks :wink:....made room, should work now

there is a way to collect doantions via paypal too, have you looked into that?

I haven't.... but I don't have a credit card or anything, so I don't know if that would work so well....

I think you should get a better response here. I hope everything goes well for Joey and his family.

Back
Top Bottom