? A good reef fish book

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PaulChristenson:
Make sure you get the 3rd Edition...And even slicker is the Reef Fish Identification CD...

And then have yourself the really cool book in the serries. After you've found the little critters, this explains the bahaviors you're seeing (but maybe not noticing!)

Same authors:

See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...f=pd_bbs_2/002-1903932-8251268?_encoding=UTF8

PADI also offers a book called Reef Creature Interaction- something like that. Excellent tips on how to not scare critters, allowing for closer looks. Info on attracting them with specific motions, etc.

I cannot remember which photog did this entire "behavioral" bit on each fish and how to best con them into a portrait....OH! Marty Snyderman and Clay Wiseman!! They did "Guide to Marine Life" (Caribbean, Bahamas,Florida). The behavioral component is included in little notes by each picture and the box with phot-tips tell how to use the "fundamental nature" of the fish to your advantage when trying to photgraph a given species. No kidding, the "how to photograph" portion is unique and smartly written!

"descend to the rubble zone, or sand patch and settle 15 ft. from the jawfish, closing the gap, one ft per minute...."

You can imagine the collaborative results of these two, working together!

RoatanMan:
And then have yourself the really cool book in the serries. After you've found the little critters, this explains the bahaviors you're seeing (but maybe not noticing!)

Same authors:

See http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/18...f=pd_bbs_2/002-1903932-8251268?_encoding=UTF8

PADI also offers a book called Reef Creature Interaction- something like that. Excellent tips on how to not scare critters, allowing for closer looks. Info on attracting them with specific motions, etc.

I was trying not to overwhelm him with too many books...

They have just added Nudibranch Behavior to the series...:D
http://www.reef.org/cgi-bin/shop.cgi?action=init&product=NUDI

FYI.... (Copied from material from Buddy Dive, the wife and I are going.)
Buddy Dive September Special!
During September 2006: Ned & Ann DeLoach, renowned marine biologists, will conduct seminars, lectures and guided dives at Buddy Dive.
Save: During the month, every 2nd diver dives FREE. And FREE NITOX upgrades for all divers

torontoscubagirl:
Hello

Can anyone recommend a good book detailing information on Carribean reef fishes, corals, reef wildlife - someting with pictures for identification and a little info on what they do, who they eat, who eat them, etc.

Thanks a bunch

After you've purchased Humann's book(s), you might want to check out "Fishes of the Caribbean" on DVD/CD. This is an electronic reference with advanced search capabilities, thousands of photographs, and lots of video footage that you can play on your home DVD player and/or computer. The flash card/quizzer is probably one of the best ways to learn or sharpen your fish id skills.

www.reefnet.ca

Dave

PaulChristenson:
They have just added Nudibranch Behavior to the series...:D

Even after I clicked on that I thought it was a joke. I imagine there's a chapter on "Hunting the Elusive and Dangerous Lettuce Leaf"...

"Go for the kill shot on the first look into their eyes lest they charge when wounded".

Man, I thought I had a lot of free time.

RoatanMan:
Even after I clicked on that I thought it was a joke. I imagine there's a chapter on "Hunting the Elusive and Dangerous Lettuce Leaf"...

"Go for the kill shot on the first look into their eyes lest they charge when wounded".

Man, I thought I had a lot of free time.

No the joke has to do with the Title...

In their chapter entitled Classification of Sea Slugs...there is a discussion about the misuse of the term Nudibranch and how actually they should have called the book Opisthobranch Behavior...:D :D

I'm semi-retired...I have lots of time to read...:D

yes, I thought it was a joke too, knowing how Paul is, so had to look....I like the term sea slug, I know some diver's behavior that qualifies.

catherine96821:
yes, I thought it was a joke too, knowing how Paul is, so had to look....I like the term sea slug, I know some diver's behavior that qualifies.

Hey...I resemble that remark...I just think people take some of this stuff Way to Seriously...

Like my grandfather told me...Don't take life too seriously or you'll never get out alive...:D

Back
Top Bottom