A Dive Rite for the upper Gulf

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tom wicker

Contributor
Reaction score
First off hello Dixie divers. Looks like the board has been busy lately do to a change in work I have found it hard to keep up on a lot of things.

The reason for this post is yesterday I had all intentions of buying myself a new Dive Rite BC after making the trip to the dive shop I found myself lost, I wasn’t aware there were so many extras and setups pertaining to the Dive Rite. What I was hoping to accomplish by this post is some helpful information on putting together a nice setup without a salesman telling me what I need.

Let me start by saying I’m 230lb 6’ tall I would like one that I could grow with in tech later on. Plus I would also need to work with this unit so D rings and such are important. Double and single tank use is a must. It will be mostly used in the Gulf and Florida springs recreational diving and spearing and I’m considering some caving later on.

Anyone have any recommendations and descriptions of what I might want to take a look at?

Anything from a TransPac to a full-out bare bones BP&W could do all that stuff.

Tom,
I just bought the transpac with Rec wing and have not taken it for the checkout dive yet. Got a great deal on it from Phil in Decatur. I like the modular features. It is rainy here today, so I'll probably be figuring out what I plan on hanging off the d-rings and where today.
I run about 6'2 and 195 pounds. I got the large weight pockets, the small single pocket pouch and a crotch strap. I tend to carry more weight in my upper body than my belly so I run out of belt room. Hope this helps.
Howard

philmottrek99and02:
Tom,
I just bought the transpac with Rec wing and have not taken it for the checkout dive yet. Got a great deal on it from Phil in Decatur.

Yeah. Phil at Dive Sports up in Decatur has a killer deal on this.

He's got the Transpac, with your choice of wing, weight pockets, cam straps, crotch strap, etc all in a package deal that beats the socks off everyone elses prices.

See http://www.divesports.com/mall/diverite_bc_transpacwingsssystem.asp

or Send a PM to PhilEllis on SB.

Dive Rite won't let a dealer advertise anything but MSRP prices, but I'm sure that you'll find that price to be a huge discount off if you call him on the phone.

mike_s:
Yeah. Phil at Dive Sports up in Decatur has a killer deal on this.

He's got the Transpac, with your choice of wing, weight pockets, cam straps, crotch strap, etc all in a package deal that beats the socks off everyone elses prices.

See http://www.divesports.com/mall/diverite_bc_transpacwingsssystem.asp

or Send a PM to PhilEllis on SB.

Dive Rite won't let a dealer advertise anything but MSRP prices, but I'm sure that you'll find that price to be a huge discount off if you call him on the phone.

Mike enlighten here for just a second if you will As I see it the Trek wings handles singles or doubles right? They also have a 40-lb lift now here is where the confusion for me comes in. A 240lb man lets say is working with a 25lb prop carrying a few hand tools would this wing work? Other than that is there anything you would add to that setup on that link? The price runs pretty close to MBT in Pensacola

philmottrek99and02:
Tom,
I just bought the transpac with Rec wing and have not taken it for the checkout dive yet. Got a great deal on it from Phil in Decatur. I like the modular features. It is rainy here today, so I'll probably be figuring out what I plan on hanging off the d-rings and where today.
I run about 6'2 and 195 pounds. I got the large weight pockets, the small single pocket pouch and a crotch strap. I tend to carry more weight in my upper body than my belly so I run out of belt room. Hope this helps.
Howard

Let me know what you think of it. I'm planning on driving back over next weekend if I get Sat. off

tom wicker:
Mike enlighten here for just a second if you will As I see it the Trek wings handles singles or doubles right? They also have a 40-lb lift now here is where the confusion for me comes in. A 240lb man lets say is working with a 25lb prop carrying a few hand tools would this wing work? Other than that is there anything you would add to that setup on that link? The price runs pretty close to MBT in Pensacola

WHich price runs close to MBT? The price on the web page or the "discounted price".

I'm sure that Phil will knock close a bunch off the price in the URL.

The transpac is not really set up for doubles in most folks opinion. Maybe you're wanting a plate/narness?

If I had to lift up a 25 pound prop, it'd be safer to do it with a lift bag. If you were using your air bladder to lift it and the prop broke free, you'd rocket to the surface.

tom wicker:
Let me know what you think of it. I'm planning on driving back over next weekend if I get Sat. off

I will let you know. You still might consider checking with Phil over the phone on his prices and availability. I think he has some smalls and extra large sets. You will not be disappointed in the phone call.

Thanks for all the info. It seems I have forgot about a local dealer and friend that handles the Dive Rite my bad. I’m sure he will fix me up at a fare price. I have bought numerous times from Dive Sports and cant complain at all about them or their helpful staff and fast shipping. I recommend them often on their spear guns and such. I just disagreed once with their trip wavers but it was minor but as a store their great.

tom wicker:
just disagreed once with their trip wavers but it was minor but as a store their great.

I think I know what you're talking about.... They had to add some stuff to their trip waivers...... I think their insurance company "made them do it" in order to provide coverage.... (But I don't speak for them, so I can't say for sure.)

Back
Top Bottom