A dive Report from the Spiegel Grove

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Capt Gary

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I posted this over on Scubadiving.com, but thought this would be a good place for it too.

Well it's rare that I actually get to dive on some of the wrecks here in the Upper Keys, but yesterday was one of those special days. We are hosting Sport Diver TV doing a National Geographic documentary on sinking artifical reefs around the world. We took the Republic VII out to the Spiegel Grove for a day of diving and filming.

In any case we got the the wreck around 10AM and tied up to the bow. Dean, one of our instructors and I took one of the dive team members, Koz, on a tour of the Grove. We hit the calm no current 60' viz water and preceeded to the well deck pentrating a 3rd level hallway and exited midship at the cranes. Once we came out there were 3 huge Jew Fish hovering underneath the port crane arm. What a treat. We then proceeded along the port side well deck to the stern of the ship. We had heard that the props were visible, so once we got the stern we decended down to 140'. Not only could we see the props, but the underside of the ship has been washed out and we were able to go under the entire ship and exit the starboard side. Seems the currents have tunneled a hole all the way under the ship at the stern exposing 1/2 of the entire prop. Side note....whoever lost a force fin, it's still under the ship stern center keel at 142'. We then proceeded back towards the bow.

Time to come up so our accent required for me a 18 min deco as I was on 26% nitrox. Hanging there a school of baracuda came crusing by. What a great dive....58 min total dive time, 18 min deco, average depth 77', with deepest depth 142'.

NOTE: Dean, Koz, and I are both Master, Deep, and Wreck Instructors. Kozs and I are also full cave certified. Wrecks are very different from caves, but some of the skills do apply. My point this is not a dive to be done by most of the divers visiting the Spiegel Grove. Please dive your certifications and dive within those limits.

Thought I'd share this great experience with my fellow diving friends here. Hope you enjoy.

Good Diving,

Nice Capt Gary!

Glad you got to dive it on one of the "better" days as far as viz and current is concerned. :D

I wonder if this means that the SG is gonna do another 90 degree roll sometime soon.

Capt Gary:
Not only could we see the props, but the underside of the ship has been washed out and we were able to go under the entire ship and exit the starboard side.

Definately sounds like you guys had a great dive and dive profile. I'd like to get the training to that level one of these days, till then, I'll enjoy from above :)

Thanks for the report!

Isn't she a much nicer wreck now that she's upright? We dived her, a little over a week ago, and I couldn't believe the difference. Would have liked to have had the additional training and equipment to spend more time on her.

Glad you had a chance to dive it. Andrea and I really enjoyed diving it while out on your boat last March.

Capt. Gary, It sounds like you had an awsome dive. It sounds like the conditions I lucked into last summer the 2nd day the Grove was reopened to the public.

Thanks for the report. The force fin is where it belongs, although, it will take a long time to break down into it's natural components. Not quite biodegradeable.

Jcsgt:
Thanks for the report!

Isn't she a much nicer wreck now that she's upright? We dived her, a little over a week ago, and I couldn't believe the difference. Would have liked to have had the additional training and equipment to spend more time on her.

Personally, I preferred it when it was on its side. You could then drop down to 42m on the seabed and multi-level your way up the deck until you reached 16m and the highest point of the railing. Now, if you drop down the sides, you have blank hull till you reach the deck level. Alright, so if you have the training, you can dive around the stern and look at the props, but the majority of divers visiting the Grove don't. Having said that, for most recreational divers visiting the Keys, having it upright is probably the best thing that could have happened, as it is easier to get your bearings, all the good stuff to look at is above 26m, and most of the divers won't go below that.

Nice report, by the way – haven't been out on her for a year or so, so it will be good to see the changes when I am next Keys-bound.

Cheers

Mark

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom