A deep systemic problem with diver ed?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeFerrara once bubbled...

You want a point where the standards are low? ok. You can become an instructor having only done ONE dive below 60 ft (in your OW class). You are then allowed to teach AOW classes to 100 ft. You can then take a student to 100 ft on his 5th lifetime dive. Neat huh? You can hit 100ft for the first time together!

I'll give you another one...Now, you knock off 20 dives below 60 ft and certify 25 OW students and send $40 to the agency. Now you can teach a Deep diver specialty to 130 ft even though you've never been there. This is a real deep diver we have here isn't it!

More "low" standards...

The only PADI class that mentions trim is the Peak Performance Buoyancy course. All instructors are by default allowed to teach this class even though they may never have taken it. The instructor has never been required to demonstrate their ability or understanding of trim but they can teach it. Or can they?

AOW divers are often passed and certified after having crawled and bounced their way around a nav course. Aside from the general requirement that good buoyancy control is required on every dive, the only requirement here is that the student do a square. There is no other requirement like staying with their buddy. A short time later this diver may very well be an instructor. An instructor, BTW, who has never been required to demonstrate that they can navigate while controling buoyancy and staying aware of their buddy. They are then qualified to teach something that they can't do.

When an agency tells me that they are aware that some instructors don't understand mastery learnig or are cutting corners and their solution is to shorten class time to encourage more pool time, I consider it a huge problem. I shows that they are aware of instructors cutting corners and not requireing students to master skills in the pool. Read above, I think it was in this thread I wrote about the conversation.

Do you have any documentation for this?

A cite?

Do you have any evidence of this manifesting as a problem?

I think you're catching on. If only I could get it through to you that the standards are not in the OW manual and many aspects of the standards can be violated without the student having a clue. That, however doesn't mean that they won't be effected by it at some point.

I stand corrected on terminology.

When I refer to standards, I'm not refering to instructors, I'm refering to skills that agencies require of students to be certified.

Well certainly I do when I can. Often I witness things underwater and never find the instructor on land. Without a name there isn't much I can do other than to try to make people aware of what they should get in a class (per standards)

Frankly, if I felt as you do, and saw what you say you've seen, I'd interrupt the class and surface the instructor.

When I choose to act, I act.

As deeply as you feel on this subject, and considering how it -dominates- your posting, I'd think you'd be much more proactive.

Walter once bubbled...

Standards violations are a problem. Even if they were the only problem, as Popeye seems to believe, if wide spread enough would be considered a "deep systemic problem with diver ed." The problem would lie mainly with instructors, but agencies also have an obligation to clean up such problems.

I don't think they're the problem.

I don't think there's a problem at all.

The problem goes deeper. There are many fine people teaching SCUBA who honestly believe they are doing a good job because they are following standards to the letter. Many of these fine people are terrible instructors because the standards fall short of what is needed to produce safe divers.

This is a total cop out.

If he can't tell the difference between safe standards and unsafe, he needs to get a job at the drive-thru.

An instructor can teach what he pleases.

My LDS certainly does.

If they don't have the stones to set their agency straight, there's plenty of others.

My LDS teaches 5 agencies, and satellites 5 more.

Standards that don't require skin diving skills are a problem.

Standards that allow a snorkeling option instead of swimming are a problem.

Why?

Anyone that can scuba dive can learn to skin dive in about 6 seconds, and lottsa people who dive can't swim.

Standards that don't require an unassisted doff and don are a problem.

While I would tent to agree with you here, I'd still point out that there's ABSOLUTELY no indication that this has caused even a few deaths.

I'm closing on 900 dives in less than 6 years, and used to DM a popular cattle boat in West Palm, and dove quarries in 5 states, and I've NEVER seen anyone doff and don.

Is it a useful skill, or a party trick?

Diver0001 once bubbled...
The OW divers thing was my mistake -- unintentional.

I apologize, I know you by another name, and forgot how many (hundereds of) times we've posted. :)

No apologies necessary.

I consider an unavoidable OOA something like entrapment or a massive freeflow that isn't caused by lack of alertness. Likewise I consider an avoidable OOA one that results from a lack of alertness.

So, your 30 divers a year that die, how do you divide them up between avoidable, and unavoidable?

Are you telling me that out of -millions- and -millions- of succesful dives, you see 15 0r 20 OOAs as an indication that instructors are not training students to check their SPGs?

Your logic numbs me here, and you keep totally ignoring this point.

This gets pretty close to the core of issue. I believe, like you that divers *shouldn't* be making the DM responsible for checking their air but it happens and it happens a lot. I've even heard people become quite disgruntled with the service they got from a DM because he didn't check their air or didn't check it often enough.

I've never seen this happen, again, it must be a location thing.

Since you know how vocal I am, I know that you could well imagine my response at overhearing a conversation like this.

I cannot imagine that you think this is the way these people were taught to dive in their OW class.

You could argue that this isn't strictly a standards issue because clearly everyone is supposed to be taught checking their own air--yet these divers exist and are dying at 30 per year or so. How is that possible? (and don't forget that we're only talking about the ones who were OOA and didn't make it back to the surface in time).

How many people get struck by lightning?

Have a car accident while tuning the radio?

Shoot themselves while cleaning a gun?

Rob, this number of yours is -absolutely- -insignificant- when considered against the infinite number of succesfully completed dives.

How do you interpret the accident stats? When I see 30% OOA in the deaths then I see a structural problem. That looks like evidence to me.

Of what?

Compared to what?

If you see this as evidence of a system wide failure, please explain -exactly- why the vast majority of divers never OOA.

Pleas explain -exactly- why this is a training or standards issue.

Are you alleging that these people were not taught to frequently check their SPGs?

We'll have to agree to disagree about this. But I'm curious how you read the stats then.

The feeling of course, is mutual.

Since you asked .....

The standards say that you shouldn't certify someone who can't maintain neutral buoyancy. It's in the standards yet it must happen a lot because there are a lot of divers who have trouble with this. Uncontrolled ascents, crashing to teh bottom, that sort of thing. It's all against standards; it's a "standards violation" to use your term if you certify someone who can't stay neutral and yet to the best of my knowledge the agencies make no attempt to identify the teachers whose students can't consistently maintain neutral buoyancy and to the best of my knowledge no instructor has ever been sanctioned for producing students with bad buoyancy. And 60% of the deaths involve buoyancy issues. And that's not to mention all the DCS's hits and what not that have buoyancy as a root cause.

Once again, your 60 dead divers could only be described as an abberation.

On top of that, there are several different causes of uncontrolled ascent, weight belt loss, equipment malfunction, panic, current upwelling.

Is current upwelling an agency standards problem?

I don't know how you read that but I read it as a QA problem. To me it's a clear standard that isn't being enforced and it's resulting in people dying.

Please extrapolate this.

What lack of standard do you feel evidenced by an infantismal fraction of diver injury?

How do you correlate this minute abberation against the titanic masses of sucessful dives?

And once again, I agree with you that making changes isn't going iimprove the statistics significantly because diving *is* a safe sport, but there is room for improvement and I think for the sake of the victims and their families we shouldn't be satified with "good enough".

R..

I think the majority of these families should be more insightful about the abilities and psyche of the deceased, because there's no way they can fault an agency.

Standards that don't require skin diving skills are a problem.

Standards that allow a snorkeling option instead of swimming are a problem.
Why?

Anyone that can scuba dive can learn to skin dive in about 6 seconds, and lottsa people who dive can't swim.

Couple of points in agreement here...

1. If you cannot swim due to being inherently negative (there are such people!) without extreme exertion, you can still dive safely. How? Wear exposure protection that is positive. You're no longer negative. End of problem. (Ever try to INTENTIONALLY sink in a wetsuit - but no dive gear? Good luck!)

2. Why do I need to snorkel / skin dive to scuba? The damn snorkel gets in the way! It was one of the things that I STILL give the shop that certified me grief about; they made me wear that damn thing for class, but it hasn't been on my head with scuba gear since I got my C-card. For my AOW class I pointed out to the instructor that I wasn't going to wear one, and that if she wanted me as a student that would have to be acceptable. It was. SSI requires a "snorkel dive" in your log to get the OW card; it consists of swimming on the snorkel on the surface, going below the surface of the water, returning, and blowing out the water from the snokel. Elapsed time = 15 seconds if you want to be quick and silly about it (I was.)

3. Why cannot I do my "swimming test" with fins, mask, optionally snorkel and optionally exposure protection (e.g. wetsuit)? If I'm scuba diving won't I have at least some of that? Ok, I might lose my mask. But BOTH FINS?! My exposure protection? C'mon.... Do I need to be able to freestyle 200 meters? Why? Isn't the point of scuba diving to HAVE YOUR AIR SUPPLY WITH YOU?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When an agency tells me that they are aware that some instructors don't understand mastery learnig or are cutting corners and their solution is to shorten class time to encourage more pool time, I consider it a huge problem. I shows that they are aware of instructors cutting corners and not requireing students to master skills in the pool. Read above, I think it was in this thread I wrote about the conversation.

Popeye said...
Do you have any documentation for this?

No, it was a phone conversation with a training consultant at PADI

No, just my word.
Do you have any evidence of this manifesting as a problem?

Only the ambulances comming in and out of a little quarry and the lousy vis whenever there are divers there.
When I refer to standards, I'm not refering to instructors, I'm refering to skills that agencies require of students to be certified.

Well that's just it. Students don't know what they are supposed to be getting. They don't know when standards are violated.
Frankly, if I felt as you do, and saw what you say you've seen, I'd interrupt the class and surface the instructor.

When I choose to act, I act.

As deeply as you feel on this subject, and considering how it -dominates- your posting, I'd think you'd be much more proactive.

I have tried to talk to a few. I don't know that I'd get away with surfacing an instructor. Maybe it's an idea though. I think I'll try it.

Actually I have been very proactive in my little sphere of influence. It's not like we can vote people out or anything. I'm willing to to listen to suggestions. Í am closing the shop so as not to participate and leaving my entire (modest though it might be) life savings behind. I don't intend to renew some instructor certs so as to stop supporting some organizations. I sure speak out plenty. Short of grabing folks by the ear I'm not sure what else I can do.
Other ideas?

Walter,

They like it the way it is. They can have it.

Genesis once bubbled...

Why?

Couple of points in agreement here...

1. If you cannot swim due to being inherently negative (there are such people!) without extreme exertion, you can still dive safely. How? Wear exposure protection that is positive. You're no longer negative. End of problem. (Ever try to INTENTIONALLY sink in a wetsuit - but no dive gear? Good luck!)

2. Why do I need to snorkel / skin dive to scuba? The damn snorkel gets in the way! It was one of the things that I STILL give the shop that certified me grief about; they made me wear that damn thing for class, but it hasn't been on my head with scuba gear since I got my C-card. For my AOW class I pointed out to the instructor that I wasn't going to wear one, and that if she wanted me as a student that would have to be acceptable. It was. SSI requires a "snorkel dive" in your log to get the OW card; it consists of swimming on the snorkel on the surface, going below the surface of the water, returning, and blowing out the water from the snokel. Elapsed time = 15 seconds if you want to be quick and silly about it (I was.)

3. Why cannot I do my "swimming test" with fins, mask, optionally snorkel and optionally exposure protection (e.g. wetsuit)? If I'm scuba diving won't I have at least some of that? Ok, I might lose my mask. But BOTH FINS?! My exposure protection? C'mon.... Do I need to be able to freestyle 200 meters? Why? Isn't the point of scuba diving to HAVE YOUR AIR SUPPLY WITH YOU?
[/QUOTE]

There really is a simple short answer to your question; the training agencies have made every effort to be as inclusive and cover as many possible scenarios as possible in their courses. In short they are attempting to offer a one size fits all type of training. As we all know, one size fits all almost always means it fits no one perfectly. In order to please everyone completely and have no complaints at all, they would have to tailor make the course for every student that signed up. That’s not going to happen. So we are left with items like a snorkel swim being a requirement of an OW course. For some students who plan only warm tropical locations for diving, the snorkeling aspect of the course may seem perfectly valid. The only other option would be for a training agency to say that if you are not doing it exactly the way we teach, you are doing it wrong and are a bad diver who we will not tolerate nor will we associate and dive with. I prefer the more inclusive approach complete with all the erroneous bits. BTW when not with a class, I too leave the snorkel in the dive bag.

in particular seems idiotic.

Why not let people take it using whatever gear they like, up to and including a full wetsuit appropriate to the local diving conditions (e.g. a 3 mil or shortie in warm water), mask, fins and the everloved-by-PADI snorkel?

I suck as a freestyle swimmer. I can butterfly until hell freezes, and that's what I did for my "swim test". The butterfly sucks in the turns though, as you have to keep looking back or you'll prang your head on the pool wall and that negatively affects your speed. But I'm slightly positive. I know people who are NEGATIVE in the water in a bathing suit, and for them to do a "swim test" is simply unreasonable. They're going to wear SOME exposure protection that is positive while diving, simply because inherently they're not! So let 'em take the "test" in a wetsuit. And while you're at it, why not allow the fins, mask and snorkel if they would like. After all, will they not have those while diving?

If the issue is watermanship, should not we test in conditions similar to those under which the person will be efforting? Are you going to scuba dive without a mask? Not intentionally! Without fins? No.

Sounds like a bar for the sake of a bar to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom