A Decent Beginner Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never had mine Freeze even down to 41 degrees..
ddown

SP reg alright, i'd check out the buddy stabs, or the Northern diver Guardian, which is almost as good but cheaper (20KG lift and tonnes of handy D-rings, and it wears well). I'd get a computer separte from my guages. simply because i am inclined to throw my reg in my wet box and the mistoure stops the computer switching off, whereas the wrist model i put away with my wooly bear and it dries off and switches off. As for sunto they have a new model out (can NEVER remeber the name). Essentially its the vytec but does not do mutiple mixed gasses (it will do single nitrox mix) and it does not have guage mode (which i never use anyway). MUCH cheaper than the Vytec.

S

spurtill:
As for sunto they have a new model out (can NEVER remeber the name). Essentially its the vytec but does not do mutiple mixed gasses (it will do single nitrox mix) and it does not have guage mode (which i never use anyway). MUCH cheaper than the Vytec.

You're thinking of the Gekko -- it's cheaper because it lacks features -- it is not AI, does not have the sim mode, and cannot interface with a PC.

on your "octo" which some of us call a "backup" please consider that the time you will need it will likely be under stress. Therefore it should be a reliable, good performing reg. I use the SP mk20/s600 as primary, and the SP R190 as my backup. I think it is a great combination.

I second the bottom timer and SPG recommendation. I would suggest you not use a computer until you are rock solid on the tables and theory behind them.

I use a BP/wing setup. Try renting a couple different kind of BCs, including BP/wings and see what works best for you.

Have fun!!

Ken

Since his name is "KKonaDiver" does he live on the Big Island ? He just got certified, so I don't think technical, twin tanks or cold water are in his near future plans.

If he lives on the Big Island he will probably wear out his BCD before "growing" out of it.

BC: If the Seaquest fits well forget the other 2. You may want to try a back inflate before buying though. I like the Transpac for back inflate. IMHO, a BP/wing offers few advantages over the Transpac for warm water, recreational, single tank diving.

Reg: Either the Scubapro or Atomic will be fine. I like my Atomic Z1, I use a Scubapro R-190 for an octo.

Computer: I like my Suunto Cobra. It's been around for years, totally reliable and the dive software is great for tracking your air consumption rates and as a log book. Hoseless air integrated has had too many failures for my tastes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom