A Decent Beginner Setup?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KKonaDiver

Reaction score
I'm new to diving (just got certified a month ago) and while I've bought some things, I still need to buy a reg, BC, octo, gauges, etc., and while I've narrowed it down a bit, I could use some help and opinions.

This is what I've been thinking of buying:

BC: Either the Pro QD+, Sherwood Avid, or the SP Glide Plus. I'm leaning toward the Pro QD, as one of my friends who's been diving a long time uses it and highly recommends it. It also fits me really well, while the Glide Plus doesn't fit as well. I haven't been able to try on the Avid to see how it fits, though.

Regulator: Atomic Z1 or Scubapro MK25/S600. The Scubapro seems to be pretty highly recommended around here, and while I haven't read much specifically on the Z1 I've heard nothing but praise for other Atomic regs.

Gauges: I think I'll probably get the Suunto Cobra, but the Uwatec Aladin Air Z would be nice. The Vytec unfortunately is definately out of my price range.

I don't know what I'll do for an octo, though. I'm personally not too fond of AIR2's but I'd like to hear what you all have to say about them.

I already have mask, snorkel and fins, so I don't need to get those. Thanks for your advice.

KKonaDiver once bubbled...
I'm new to diving (just got certified a month ago) and while I've bought some things, I still need to buy a reg, BC, octo, gauges, etc., and while I've narrowed it down a bit, I could use some help and opinions.

This is what I've been thinking of buying:

BC: Either the Pro QD+, Sherwood Avid, or the SP Glide Plus. I'm leaning toward the Pro QD, as one of my friends who's been diving a long time uses it and highly recommends it. It also fits me really well, while the Glide Plus doesn't fit as well. I haven't been able to try on the Avid to see how it fits, though.

Regulator: Atomic Z1 or Scubapro MK25/S600. The Scubapro seems to be pretty highly recommended around here, and while I haven't read much specifically on the Z1 I've heard nothing but praise for other Atomic regs.

Gauges: I think I'll probably get the Suunto Cobra, but the Uwatec Aladin Air Z would be nice. The Vytec unfortunately is definately out of my price range.

I don't know what I'll do for an octo, though. I'm personally not too fond of AIR2's but I'd like to hear what you all have to say about them.

I already have mask, snorkel and fins, so I don't need to get those. Thanks for your advice.

The SP reg is a good choice, but only if you're going to stay away from cold water. The unsealed MK25 first stage, the way I hear it, has a tendency to freeze up occasionally. I'm not sure about the Atomic. I have an Apeks with a dry sealed (DS4) first and I love it to death.

Don't bother with the air integrated computer, IMO. It's unnecessary. Just get an SPG and a wrist mounted computer like a Vyper.

Avoid the Air2. Just do a search on Air2 and there are literally thousands of posts on why to stay away. If you get the SP, the R380 octo seems popular. For an Apeks, the ATX40 or ATX50 are the most common.

As for the BC.... well there are a large number of people here who will say get a bp and wings. Check out www.halcyon.net and http://www.selchie.com/whats_new_and_custom_stuff.htm . I just recently got a Halcyon Pioneer setup fairly soon after having bought a back inflate BC. The difference is astounding. I highly recommend you try one. It seems a lot of people have done the back inflate -> ebay -> wing maneuver, myself included :wink:

Well, all I have to go on here is what I've read and what I've heard, and a bit on what I've used.

I was certified last year by Maui Diving Scuba Center in Lahaina. My instructor wore a SeaQuest Pro Unlimited and had *nothing* bad to say about it. His rig included AquaLung Micra 2nd stage (I don't recall what his 1st stage was) and a Suunto Cobra computer. These items also had a high review from him.

During the cert course, we used some lower grade regs on the first day, and my jaw was aching like you wouldn't believe -- we switched to AL regs with the "Comfobite" mouthpiece for the second and third days and it made a world of a difference. We used the AL Wave BC's and the inflator worked flawlessly the whole time -- and they weren't brand new! I had a practically-out-of-the-box Oceanic BC for a dive charter I was on and the inflator was a piece of junk! When I was trying to deflate, I pushed and held the button, but no air came out until I gave it a couple good smacks with my other hand.

As for the Uwatec computers, I wouldn't trust them -- the Aladin had some issues to start with, and their newer computers (the SMART series) have recently been recalled due to "freezing" -- the screen will just lock up -- no changes noted. So, you're sitting around with 1500psi... five minutes later you check, still 1500psi. Hmm... you're not breathing much, eh? Stick with Suunto -- they seem to call a recall on time and don't have to call too many.

I think the console mount computer is the way to go -- less stuff to strap on when you're getting ready and gives more data than the non-air-integrated wrist ones. Just make sure it's not the only SPG and depth gauge you have connected.

As a "computer geek" I will be the first to say that it would be unwise to rely only on one computer for life support equipment. If you want the features, great -- but don't substitute it for your brain!

As for my package, I have the AL Cousteau Micra Adj regulator set and am looking to add a SQ Pro QD+ or Pro Unlimited BC, Suunto Cobra computer and either the AL LPO octopus or the Oceanic Swivel Octo.

About reg -MK 25 , S600 is the best combination I tried. I have MK25 and S550 and I have few dives under ice with no problem. Never saw MK 25 freeze. Our rescue unit also dives MK 25 without any problems.

1. Regs. I use an Atomic M1 for single tank diving and I think it's GREAT. Apeks TX50's also.

2. BC. Depending on who you got your c-card from, they may or may not be pushing a jacket style BC on you. If your into scuba for the long haul I would suggest that you look at getting a backplate and wing setup. It will grow better with new skill sets than anything else.

3. As far as gages and computers are concerned I'm 90% Hogarthian so I think a bottom timer like the Uwatec and a simple spg will serve you well. Get the computer later if you must as a backup for your tables.

Pro Qd is a good bcd seaquest has a good airsource. go with the computer over spg's with the computer aides your diving greatly . the Uwatec computers have a recall right now. Atomic and Scuba Pro regs are made by the same guy's if you go piston on the reg get it sealed.

jonnythan once bubbled...

The SP reg is a good choice, but only if you're going to stay away from cold water. The unsealed MK25 first stage, the way I hear it, has a tendency to freeze up occasionally. I'm not sure about the Atomic. I have an Apeks with a dry sealed (DS4) first and I love it to death.

Don't bother with the air integrated computer, IMO. It's unnecessary. Just get an SPG and a wrist mounted computer like a Vyper.

Avoid the Air2. Just do a search on Air2 and there are literally thousands of posts on why to stay away. If you get the SP, the R380 octo seems popular. For an Apeks, the ATX40 or ATX50 are the most common.

As for the BC.... well there are a large number of people here who will say get a bp and wings. Check out www.halcyon.net and http://www.selchie.com/whats_new_and_custom_stuff.htm . I just recently got a Halcyon Pioneer setup fairly soon after having bought a back inflate BC. The difference is astounding. I highly recommend you try one. It seems a lot of people have done the back inflate -> ebay -> wing maneuver, myself included :wink:

I'm selling my practically new Halcyon Pioneer 36# wing, purchased this year at Deep Blue with the MC pack, etc. for over $500 with tax. This wing only can be yours for CHEAP!! Use your backplate and harness with this and tank straps to dive single tanks in style and comfort (and in DIR bliss!)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3646271281&category=16053

Free delivery in Southern Wisconsin if you win my auction!

Be sure to check out my other auctions, also have a few K-valves and a UK Sunlight D4 light FS!!

Depends on where you dive.

People are correct on the problems with the 25/600 in very cold water, but they perform great in warmer environs. As for the "thousands of reasons" not to get an Air2, there are thousands of people who love them just the same. You will find both. Again, it depends on where you will dive, the type of diving you plan on undertaking now and in the future - (this stuff ain't cheap!)

I have a SQ Pro QD+ which I would recommend to anyone, it is a great BC, very comfortable, and has given me no problems what so ever, I have mares proton regs and suunto guages, but I am about to get a vyper wrist mount, I think the wrist mount will be a lot more conveinent to look at, and will keep me observant of my dive profile.

Also you might be able to find some of the older sq pro qd+ with the velcro weight pockets, for a cheaper price instead of the newer model, according to my lds sea quest changed the pockets to up sales, there is no real need for the new system, and I have not had any problems with the velcro and neither has anyone I know with the same system.

MyNoles once bubbled...
Depends on where you dive.

People are correct on the problems with the 25/600 in very cold water, but they perform great in warmer environs. As for the "thousands of reasons" not to get an Air2, there are thousands of people who love them just the same. You will find both. Again, it depends on where you will dive, the type of diving you plan on undertaking now and in the future - (this stuff ain't cheap!)

When people say cold water, do they mean NE coast? In other words, I am interested in the 25/600. I plan on diving in warm water a few times a year and in quarries and the ocean in the NE in the summer. I have absolutely no desire to dive in ice. Would the 25/600 be bad for me? Just trying to define "cold water." Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom