A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

this is the translation from this link:

Advierten Expertos Sobre Impactos Ambientales de Proyecto Eólico en Cozumel

Civil society organizations and academic institutions submitted their comments to the Proposed Wind Farm Cozumel, which warn of a number of weaknesses and elements threatening the great environmental value of this area.

The Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) submitted by Mexico Cozumel Power Group SAPI CVpara MPG authorization by the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT), provides that the wind farm Cozumel includes the installation of 115 wind turbines along the east coast of the island of Cozumel. The project was conducted in four phases in two areas (north and south) and the duration of construction is estimated at seven years from 2013 to 2020. The project has serious deficiencies and cause severe negative impacts so that experts should not be authorized by SEMARNAT.

The civil society organizations and academic institutions to discuss the project that the petitioner submitted for consideration by the authority to obtain approval, identified a number of negative environmental impacts that the wind farm would cause to the environment and society of Cozumel. Some of the most severe impacts would be the serious effects of populations and habitat of endemic species in critical danger of extinction, destruction of mangroves, as well as risks to human population and urban infrastructure in Cozumel where they occurred accidents caused by possible hurricanes that hit the area.

Some of the risks listed in the questionnaire of the public consultation are:

I. - Deforestation, loss of wetlands and other vegetation native to the island (habitat loss and fragmentation).

II. - Removal of soil and / or erosion.

III. - Alteration of drainage (change in the course of rivers).

IV. - Alterations generalized patterns of water infiltration to groundwater in the area of ​​direct and indirect influence of the project.

V. - Pollution important soil and water (industrial discharges, sewage, etc..).

VI. - Noise pollution above levels permitted by law

VII. - Direct or indirect death of animals above dangerous levels for the health of populations and their normal demographic patterns, causing global extinctions of species.

VIII. - Increase in the negative effects mentioned above, due to the construction of new roads or access roads.

IX. - Reduction and alteration of wild landscapes with scenic values ​​would be lost and potential eco-tourism.

Participants in the consultation indicate that "while environmental sector representatives and academics are in favor of the promotion of renewable energies, among which the wind is one of the most feasible and clean for Mexico, one must be careful on the location of wind turbines so as not to cause environmental and social affectations outweigh the benefits they can bring. Cozumel is not an appropriate site for a project of the features that are intended. "

In regard to land use change, it is found that the project has the technical opinion of the State Forestry Board members or with the Technical Research Evidence, showing that biodiversity will not commit or cause erosion of soils, deteriorating water quality or decrease in its uptake, or that alternative land uses that are proposed will be more productive in the long run than at present.

Moreover, the site which aims to build the wind farm lies within Cozumel's Protected Natural Area "State Reserve Forests and Wetlands of Cozumel" what the petitioner is not mentioned in the Environmental Impact Statement. Another area within the Ramsar site No. 1921 Mangroves and Wetlands of North Cozumel Island and very close to Cozumel Reefs National Park (Ramsar site No. 1449). These sites are home to many endangered species such as dwarf Cozumel raccoon (Procyon pygmaeus) of Cozumel coati (Nasua nelsoni), the Cozumel harvest mouse (Reithrodontomys spectabilis), the Cozumel thrasher (Toxostoma guttatum) - all among the species most at risk of extinction on the planet - as well as the loggerhead turtle (Caretta caretta), hawksbill turtle (Eretmochelys imbricata) and turtle (Chelonia mydas). Moreover, these areas protect a major reef zones of the globe.

Another important element on which warned organizations and academia is that the island is subject to the action of hurricanes with a frequency of one every 6.2 years, according to the National Commission for Knowledge and Use of Biodiversity (CONABIO) . These phenomena constitute a potential hazard during construction of the wind farm (estimated in nine years) and after them, not only for the populations of wildlife but for the population and urban infrastructure of Cozumel. This is a matter of safety and civil protection is essential to have a detailed design and specific location of the turbines and their installation to withstand extreme weather conditions. None of this is considered in the EIS.

The wind farm project Cozumel is an area 6.132 hectares (ha) for the placement of 115 vanes to generate electricity through wind, placed on a strip of up to 34.9 km and 12.19 m wide along the eastern coast of the island where there are tropical dry forest ecosystems, tropical forest evergreen, mangrove, and coastal dune tasístal.

Even the same document Cozumel Wind Farm is within the possible effects, the "disintegration of the soil by the activities of site preparation and soil removal, soil compaction and loss of vegetation and habitat occupation," making reference to existing wildlife would be displaced or removed, as the soil that sustains them.

The petitioner acknowledges that, "as evidence, the operational experience of a lot of wind, birds and bats are the most intense wildlife is affected both by the existence of wind turbines as power lines attached. "The wind farm project Cozumel refers to the 31 species and subspecies endemic to the island (ie, living exclusively in Cozumel and there are somewhere else on the planet) and indicates that many of them are in critical danger of extinction . However, the document does not mention that to use them, the wind farm would Cozumel irreversible damage to the planet's natural heritage, which if carried out, it will be impossible to remedy. [1]

The project proponent says that among the advantages of the project is the reduction of greenhouse gases. However, no evidence of how much is the amount of greenhouse gases (particularly CO2) is captured by the vegetation currently on the island and is released into the atmosphere if the project done. They also justify the project on the grounds of "saving 10 percent to the municipality of Cozumel will have on their electric bills," which suggests that the same savings could be achieved by adopting a more efficient energy use, without causing all environmental impacts that this project would generate.

For all these reasons, the civil society organizations and academic institutions who analyzed the project believe that the wind farm in Cozumel - found in the Environmental Impact Assessment - means a serious and irremediable risk to people and for wildlife and ecosystems in Cozumel and request the Secretariat of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT) to withhold its approval.

Signatory organizations

AC Old Forest
Mexican Center for Environmental Law (CEMDA)
Defenders of Wildlife
She Vazquez Dominguez. Institute of Ecology, UNAM
Cozumel Island Foundation Strategic Plan
GEMA
Yax Moce Cuxtal A.C.
Patricia Escalante. Institute of Biology, UNAM
Society for the Study and Conservation of Birds in Mexico, AC (CIPAMEX)
UNAM-Ecosystems Research Center
University of the Americas-Puebla
Ecology and Conservation Group of Islands, B.C.
Naturalia
Environmental Services, Conservation Biology and Education
Rancho El Coyul
Yansan Foundation

[1] La Isla Cozumel has at least 31 endemic species and subspecies of animals, the most among the Mexican islands. This includes three endemic species of crustaceans and aquatic systems to underground cenotes, a species of fish and reptile species. Cozumel is the only habitat for three species of mammals (raccoon Procyon pygmaeus dwarf Cozumel and Cozumel coati Nasua nelsoni - two of the most endangered carnivore species on the planet - and the harvest mouse Reithrodontomys spectabilis Cozumel) considered Endangered Critically Endangered by the International Union for Conservation of Nature (IUCN) and 4 subspecies of endemic mammals. Cozumel is very important for more than 50 migratory birds, 4 species endemic (one that is considered one of Mexico species most at risk of extinction, the Cozumel thrasher Toxostoma guttatum) and 15 endemic subspecies of birds. In addition, the Cozumel Island has recorded 206 species of birds and is designated as Area of ​​Importance for the Conservation of Birds (IBA) by CONABIO with G-2 (the site holds significant populations of a group of species with restricted distribution (less than 50,000 km2). Some of the species living on the island are within the Mexican official list of endangered species (NOM-059-SEMARNAT-2010): Egretta rufescens, Mycteria americana, Phoenicopterus ruber, Falco columbarius, Falco rufigularis, Oxyura dominica, Falco peregrinus, Columba leucocephala, Amazon xantholora, Asio stygius, Toxostoma guttatum, Wilsonia citrina, Icterus cucullatus, with the status of Threatened, Anas acuta, Anas discors, Buteo magnirostris, Vireo bairdi Subject to Special Protection Sterna antillarum Limnothlypis swainsonii and Crax griscomi as Endangered.

thank you very much for reading it, Alex

---------- Post Merged at 07:57 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:47 PM ----------

---------- Post Merged at 08:00 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 07:47 PM ----------

I think most of us do have a big soft spot for Cozumel. I know I do.

The problem is that you haven't given us any reason to think this wind farm is a bad thing.

ok man, here are some good reasons.

Not that I think you are disagreeing with me, but here's the math:

Circumference = 2(pi)r; discounting the hub, a 130 foot long blade describes a 816.8 foot circle. At 20rpm the tip moves 16,336 feet in a minute. That's 185.6mph.

A fair clip, indeed.

I've seen a lot of these, and I've never seen one moving at 20 rpm. But just to check, I'm going to go find some video I shot of a windfarm and count the rpms (this is with about 20-30 mph winds).

edit - ok, after checking it looks like they doing about 15 rpm. I'm not sure of the blade length. Some research into the turbine showed; "As a rule of thumb, the noise from a wind turbine increases with the fifth power of the relative wind speed (as seen from the moving tip of the blades). In noise-sensitive environments, the tip speed can be limited to approximately 60 m/s (200 ft/s). "
So my eyes were poor judges. The tips are moving at a fairly fast pace. Now, time to research this total threat a bit deeper.

I'm still not seeing any "good reasons". I admit I didn't check ALL the signatories, but a quick check of a few shows that their history is of opposition to pretty much everything of this sort, no matter what. That makes this report something other than objective.

But hey, I'm game. Let's look at a few of the claims made in this report.

I. - Deforestation, loss of wetlands and other vegetation native to the island (habitat loss and fragmentation).

What deforestation? It's not like they're going to clearcut the entire east coast. They're going to put in windmills, with foundations that are (I'm willing to bet) smaller and affecting less land surface area (albeit deeper) than an equal number of house foundations. Would you be up in arms about people building homes in this area?

See above. The same arguements apply.

Um... what rivers?

IV. - Alterations generalized patterns of water infiltration to groundwater in the area of ​​direct and indirect influence of the project.

See arguement above about homes.

Really? Windmills produce sewage and industrial wastes now?

Maybe. Ought to be pretty easy to document, if true. How many dB are allowed, and how many dB will these windmills produce?

VII. - Direct or indirect death of animals above dangerous levels for the health of populations and their normal demographic patterns, causing global extinctions of species.

Gotta love the "indirect death" part. That means you can blame your target even if it has nothing to do with the animal deaths.

VIII. - Increase in the negative effects mentioned above, due to the construction of new roads or access roads.

Oh yeah, improving the (really crappy) road on the east side of the island is such a bad idea...

IX. - Reduction and alteration of wild landscapes with scenic values ​​would be lost and potential eco-tourism.

Let's take a straw poll... how many people go to Cozumel to spend time looking at the landscape on the east side of the island? How many would choose NOT to go to Cozumel if these windmills are installed? Anybody? Anyone? Beuller?

Again, I have no opinion on the advisability of this project. I just think that if you're going to oppose it, you need to have MUCH better information and reasons than you've posted here.

I'm still not seeing any "good reasons". I admit I didn't check ALL the signatories, but a quick check of a few shows that their history is of opposition to pretty much everything of this sort, no matter what. That makes this report something other than objective.

But hey, I'm game. Let's look at a few of the claims made in this report.

What deforestation? It's not like they're going to clearcut the entire east coast. They're going to put in windmills, with foundations that are (I'm willing to bet) smaller and affecting less land surface area (albeit deeper) than an equal number of house foundations. Would you be up in arms about people building homes in this area?

The construction of a big highway by the crappy road you mentioned has started, two days ago I crossed this highway while months ago I´d be walking on jungle

See above. The same arguements apply.

Um... what rivers?

Yes, Cozumel is paractically sitting in water, I myself have a well.

See arguement above about homes.

Really? Windmills produce sewage and industrial wastes now?

They use oils for lubrication, a leak into the fresh water just bellow the surface would be disastrous. They are bulding house developments as we speak as they will bring their own workers. Sewage will be built around the mills for the workers.

Maybe. Ought to be pretty easy to document, if true. How many dB are allowed, and how many dB will these windmills produce?

Gotta love the "indirect death" part. That means you can blame your target even if it has nothing to do with the animal deaths.

But it has to do, as the roads to be built will be obstacles to the moving around of the fauna.

Oh yeah, improving the (really crappy) road on the east side of the island is such a bad idea...

I love the crappy road, now they are bulding a nice highway for the big trucks that will transport the mills.

Let's take a straw poll... how many people go to Cozumel to spend time looking at the landscape on the east side of the island? How many would choose NOT to go to Cozumel if these windmills are installed? Anybody? Anyone? Beuller?

Many ppl go there to see the landscape, every person I´ve taken there has stood in awe to the beauty of the east side.

Again, I have no opinion on the advisability of this project. I just think that if you're going to oppose it, you need to have MUCH better information and reasons than you've posted here.

Well, you just think that, maybe, for me, it is enough.

---------- Post Merged at 09:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:00 PM ----------

more info:

Cancun, July 31. Fernando Meraz. - The Institute of Ecology of UNAM, the Mexican Center for Environmental Law and twelve academic and environmental organizations warned that the wind farm announced in Cozumel, "threatens irreversibly the swallows - emblematic birds of the island and about 300 species in extinction. "

Cozumel has the trademark "island of swallows" in the global tourism market and that bird is the subject of ornaments, songs, paintings, stories, poems, and a bronze monument in the boardwalk.

The wind farm planned for Mexico Power Company Group MPG was announced by President Calderon in November 2011, towers plans to install 115 generators at six thousand 132 hectares in a band 35 miles long and 12 meters wide at the expense of Cozumel.

The study by academics and environmental groups states: "Cozumel is not appropriate for the project site for being a habitat of many endangered species and, like the mangrove, subject to special protection because they are natural barrier against hurricanes" .

The authors themselves admit in the project environmental impact statement that "any foreseeable damage include impaired by soil excavation and soil removal, compaction and loss of vegetation and habitat."

The request for authorization to SEMARNAT, the authors assume that "operational experience at other wind farms in the world agree that birds and bats, bats are the animals most affected by wind turbines and power lines.

Although the bill mentions 31 species and subspecies at risk "would be in critical danger of extinction", does not mention that to use them, the wind farm would cause irreversible damage to Cozumel planet's natural heritage, say the opponents of the project.

Organizations signed opinion Ecology Mexican Center of the UNAM Foundation Strategic Plan Cozumel, gem, Moce Cuxtal Yax, Patricia Escalante, Institute of Biology, Society for the Study and Conservation of Birds of Mexico, UNAM, Centre for Ecosystems Research of UNAM University of the Americas-Puebla and Ecology and Conservation Group of Islands.

The environmentalist Dora Uribe, Cozumel Foundation Strategic Plan, which seeks to protect the quality of life on the island, in the environmental, cultural and tourism, said that "by its height and movement, wind towers, eventually with the swallows."

But the park also threatens an impressive diversity, nearly 40 percent of the flora of Quintana Roo, 23 species of amphibians and reptiles, 224 birds, 15 mammals and 24 of bats, of which at least 30 are endemic he said.

The park promoted by the Secretary of Economy Bruno Ferrari will launch this year as a pilot for other similar Power Group proposes to install in Baja California, Zacatecas and Baja California.

The representative for the southeast of the Mexican Center for Environmental Law (Cemda) Moreno Alejandra Pavon said that "the risks of the project are many, the pressure on species such that many will disappear.

The Center asked Semarnat that project meetings are public and not bureaucratic. "Such as failure to consider the risk to hurricanes casts doubt on the technical capacity of the installation company. We expect the federal government rectified. We do not want to say goodbye to our swallows, are here since the time of the Maya, said Alejandra.

can you guys at least aknowledge that there can be damage to an extent?

Has anyone who's posted thus far other than alexunderpressure attended the public meetings on the island?

I didn't think so. I haven't either, but I have a number of friends who have and there are several other sources of information about what was announced at these meetings. It's important to understand that some of these were put on by the developers, so the information provided does, unbelievably, reflect what they believe will and should happen.

A key fact is that there officially is no intention to use the wind farm to benefit island residents by reducing local electricity costs. Power is staggeringly expensive on the island, so the fact that the developers have no plan to try to do this demonstrates how clearly this is NOT a project with any local benefit in mind. The very unlikely-sounding number of jobs appears to be just a claim intended to make the plan more palatable to locals.

As dumb as the idea of generating wind power on the island and transmitting it to the mainland while simultaneously generating power by conventional means on the mainland and transmitting it to the island sounds, that actually is the avowed plan.

In reality, this looks much more like a giant tax and land scam, not a power generation scheme. Public land would be used on Cozumel primarily in order to generate tax credits for private investors. Given repeated failed plans to develop large resorts on the east side, this may provide an opportunity to transfer public land to private investors who, after the wind farm fails, would have the land to develop. If the wind farm doesn't fail, it could provide power to resorts on the currently non-electrified northeast coast.

Preven grave impacto ambiental por Parque Eolico de Cozumel - Grupo SIPSE, sipse.com

Esmeralda Evans / SIPSE
CANCUN, Q. Roo. - The construction of the wind farm will cause serious environmental impact Cozumel in flora, fauna and human population, warned experts from 12 national institutions to the Ministry of Environment and Natural Resources (SEMARNAT) to refuse consent.

The Institute of Ecology and Biology of the National Autonomous University of Mexico (UNAM), the Mexican Center for Environmental Law (Cemda), experts from the Old Forest AC, Defenders of Wildlife, Cozumel Foundation Strategic Plan, GEMA, Yax Moce Cuxtal BC the Ecosystems Research Center, University of the Americas Puebla, Ecology and Conservation Group of Islands and the BC Society for the Study and Conservation of Birds in Mexico (CIPAMEX) noted deficiencies in the draft submitted by MPG Cozumel Mexico Power Group SAPI de CV, in a statement.

The document emphasizes that the project at risk of disappearing 31 species endangered endemic that only exist in Cozumel and elsewhere in the world, including the dwarf raccoon highlight of Cozumel, Cozumel coati, the loggerhead turtle, hawksbill turtle, the turtle and other species.

Also warn about the decomposition of soil by excavation and removal of land, loss of vegetation and habitat of other species to use six thousand 132 hectares to place 115 wind vanes that generate energy, they will be located within the Natural Area Protected "State Reserve Forests and Wetlands of Cozumel" matter not covered in the Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) issued to Semarnat.

Alert mangrove destruction, changing the course of streams, altered patterns of groundwater infiltration, noise pollution and risks to human population and infrastructure of the municipality in case of accidents caused by hurricanes impacting the area.

The 12 bodies identified by the document that the installation of the wind farm is a matter of safety and civil protection is essential to have a detailed design and specific location of the turbines and their installation to withstand extreme weather conditions, as Cozumel is subject to the presence of hurricanes with a frequency of every 6.2 years and none of these issues are covered in the EIS.

The project is covered for seven years, from 2013 to 2020 and will be located on the east coast of the island cruise.

I´m using the google translator.

---------- Post Merged at 09:26 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:18 PM ----------

Has anyone who's posted thus far other than alexunderpressure attended the public meetings on the island?

I didn't think so. I haven't either, but I have a number of friends who have and there are several other sources of information about what was announced at these meetings. It's important to understand that some of these were put on by the developers, so the information provided does, unbelievably, reflect what they believe will and should happen.

A key fact is that there officially is no intention to use the wind farm to benefit island residents by reducing local electricity costs. Power is staggeringly expensive on the island, so the fact that the developers have no plan to try to do this demonstrates how clearly this is NOT a project with any local benefit in mind. The very unlikely-sounding number of jobs appears to be just a claim intended to make the plan more palatable to locals.

As dumb as the idea of generating wind power on the island and transmitting it to the mainland while simultaneously generating power by conventional means on the mainland and transmitting it to the island sounds, that actually is the avowed plan.

In reality, this looks much more like a giant tax and land scam, not a power generation scheme. Public land would be used on Cozumel primarily in order to generate tax credits for private investors. Given repeated failed plans to develop large resorts on the east side, this may provide an opportunity to transfer public land to private investors who, after the wind farm fails, would have the land to develop. If the wind farm doesn't fail, it could provide power to resorts on the currently non-electrified northeast coast.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

You just stole many words from my mouth.

No impact in our bills, the stupidity of putting the mills here, THEN taking the energy to the mainland instead of putting these mills there in the first place just doesn´t make sense, plus, read the impact on the wildlife and flora.

Come on guys, this is no good any way you cut it.

check this article, I´m the guy in blue shirt talking to the mayor.

http://diariolaverdad.com.mx/se-reune-aurelio-joaquin-con-manifestantes-de-parque-eolico/113381/

My biggest problem with the project is how backwards the system is. I mean, as you alluded to why generate conventional electricity to Cozumel from the mainland and then have Cozumel send back wind energy to the mainland? I doubt the wind energy project would fail, but I just don't see how it benefits Cozumel outside of potential jobs. I think the people on the island should allow the project, but they should demand that they get to keep the energy and any residual wind energy then could be sold back to the mainland. This would allow the island to be self sufficient from an energy standpoint and they could also reduce energy costs to their residents.

Hmmmm...the Sierra club has moved to Mex!!

Sorry, I'm not buying this bunk. We, here in SoCal have thousands of windmills, and as far as I know there are absolutely no issues similar to the ones listed above. Noise pollution??? From a windmill?? :confused6:

I suspect that if you look at the real costs of wind energy and issues with integrating that energy into the power grid that this energy source is less than what is is touted. Not unlike solar.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!!

You just stole many words from my mouth.

No impact in our bills, the stupidity of putting the mills here, THEN taking the energy to the mainland instead of putting these mills there in the first place just doesn´t make sense, plus, read the impact on the wildlife and flora.

Come on guys, this is no good any way you cut it.

check this article, I´m the guy in blue shirt talking to the mayor.

Se reúne Aurelio Joaquín con manifestantes de Parque Eólico, Diario La Verdad

Hi Alex,

The first thing I would do is take a close look at the amount of power generated. This will be based on the average wind speed on the east side of Coz. Compare that number to another place which has made a considerable investment in wind power, Denmark.

If memory serves me, the cost of energy in Denmark is roughly 5x that in the US. What the cost of electricity on Coz as opposed to the US is, I have no idea. I am willing to bet that it is far less than 5x. The general impression is that wind power is free power. Nothing could be further from the truth. I would look at the underlying assumptions in the proposal and test those against places where it has been tried.

Second, logistics. Ask some questions comparing ports/infrastructure on Coz to those on Bonaire.

Third, look at the worst case scenario, Wilma. The other extreme is that the winds will not blow. Pretty sure (99%) they have thought of these two but it won't hurt to put them through the wringer explaining their assumptions.

Fourth, we are all making a huge assumption. They actually plan to build it. Call me cynical, but this may be a grab for an expensive engineering contract for a project never intended to be completed.

I am not saying that the environmental impacts will be negligible, but relying on those arguments exposes you to being labeled a "nutter" (as you have seen here).

BTW, the tip speed of the blades is around 75mph. Think of a pedestrian being hit by a motorcycle at that speed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom