A cry for help. Destruction of cozumel starting in 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dear friends,

I am a diving intructor in Cozumel, I am deeply distressed as the goverment is planning erecting 114 power producing wind mills on the east side of the island to feed the resorts in the riviera maya.

Those windmills, the roads needed to service them and the general infrastructure needed will destroy 20% of the jungles of our island.

These mills impliy the building about 120 miles of highway, and destroying 6000 hectares (roughly 6000 football fields).

Sorry, the math and destruction just doesn't add up.

There are hundreds of windmills in my area (probably more, I never counted) and they don't take up very much space, produce tons of clean energy without drilling for oil, and when construction is over, the wildlife returns.

Relax and enjoy.

In the long run, they'll improve the environment and your life by allowing all sorts of things like water desalinization, sewage treatment and cheaper electricity.

flots.

Sorry, the math and destruction just doesn't add up.

There are hundreds of windmills in my area (probably more, I never counted) and they don't take up very much space, produce tons of clean energy without drilling for oil, and when construction is over, the wildlife returns.

Relax and enjoy.

In the long run, they'll improve the environment and your life by allowing all sorts of things like water desalinization, sewage treatment and cheaper electricity.

flots.

Maybe my numbers dont add up, I´m talking from memory, but these will impact the island very badly, they´re drilling right through the underground water system, the only water we have, please, see the map I posted and go to the facebook page, there are lots of issues.

Our electricity bills will be the same.

This is no good.

Your entire island is a giant stone sponge. If they are mounting these along the coast, that's the outlet for the island's natural fresh water. How is that going to affect your drinking water?

It´s NOT for cozumel, Cozumel needs eight, they´re ercting 114 for the riviera maya.

I dont call progress to build things on an island (self contained) and disrupting its water suply and environment, and about tourism.... you guys dont come here to see 114 windmills, highways or be on one of our beaches and listen to the humming of these things, you come here to visit a pristine paradise, we must reserve some places of this world to enjoy the nature.

I´m all for green energy, we have 94 of these in a place called La Ventosa, in the middle of nowhere, planted in solid ground, not on a cave system that provides water to an island.

About the benefit for the locals.... they are brining their own ppl.

Fair enough. I didn't understand that these wind mills would make Cozumel an exporter of electricity. I guess they could put them offshore on the Yucatan Bank, near Holbox. Shallow and close to shore.

Your entire island is a giant stone sponge. If they are mounting these along the coast, that's the outlet for the island's natural fresh water. How is that going to affect your drinking water?

They will be far enough to afect the water.

---------- Post Merged at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Fair enough. I didn't understand that these wind mills would make Cozumel an exporter of electricity. I guess they could put them offshore on the Yucatan Bank, near Holbox. Shallow and close to shore.

Thanx man. I´m only a psychologist that chose to be a diving instructor, I´m no expert, but the experts here are very worried, there must be a good reason.

I asked my stepson about this. His answer is that the blades are between 100-130 feet long, and they rotate 15-20RPM. Do the math if you like, but at the tip that's going to be moving at a pretty fair clip, and I'm absolutely certain that it could pulp any bird it hit.
How often birds actually get hit, I do not know.

Not that I think you are disagreeing with me, but here's the math:

Circumference = 2(pi)r; discounting the hub, a 130 foot long blade describes a 816.8 foot circle. At 20rpm the tip moves 16,336 feet in a minute. That's 185.6mph.

A fair clip, indeed.

You need to do your research and not post miss-information. It makes people focus on your lack of credibility instead of your issue. If you over exagerate the details it makes people think you probably have the problem over exagerated too.

take for instance --120 miles of roads would pave every inch of the island of Cozumel probably 5 times over!

Cozumel has a pretty good track record of protecting its environment already.

They will be far enough to afect the water.

You keep saying this, while ignoring repeated requests for information on exactlty HOW they are supposed to affect water supplies. Merely pouring some foundations will not do anything bad...---------- Post Merged at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 06:03 PM ----------

Thanx man. I´m only a psychologist that chose to be a diving instructor, I´m no expert, but the experts here are very worried, there must be a good reason.

For every "expert" who is worried, I bet there is at least one more who will say it's fine.

So far, all you've posted are ridiculous claims, with no basis in fact, and an appeal to some nebulous "experts". I think this is a group that are likely to be in favor of protecting Cozumel. But if you can't do better than this, your cause is in deep trouble.

Experts... hmm... an "ex" is a has been, and a "spurt" is a drip under pressure....

ok,

I wasn´t trying to disinform, to exagerate, or to say things that would afect my credibility.

I came from a meeting with one of the leading marine biologists investigating this thing, Germán (cant remember his second name), and some other ppl, I was pretty shaken from what I heard and the ecological impact studies and came here to inform of this situation, to a group of fellow divers who I assumed have a soft spot for Cozumel.

I am sorry if I came across as disinforming, or putting my credibility on the line.

Thank you very much for your support.

Alex

I think most of us do have a big soft spot for Cozumel. I know I do.

The problem is that you haven't given us any reason to think this wind farm is a bad thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom