A couple of new hotels on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I’m not sure what the percentage is of diver’s to non-divers overnighting on Cozumel is these days, but I would imagine it is not as high as some people on this board might think. The island’s target market is no longer divers and hasn’t been for some time. Although divers are most welcome and provide a large part (not largest part) of the tourist dollars that power the local economy, the government and the hotel investors would probably rather see more families and “big-spender” couples visit Cozumel. The island has an awful lot of low-end to medium quality accommodations already. The world’s other island resorts seem to be looking towards the high-end market for their future.
Other island destinations seem to be leaning in the same direction.
As far as the Westin and the Isla de Pasion hotels being far from the southern dive sites, I doubt that that even came up in the planning. I don’t believe they are aiming for divers. They are looking to sell to people who want a very nice room, excellent service, sandy beaches, clear water, and being in Mexico without “being in Mexico.”

Ric I believe you are correct. IMO, as much as most divers would deny, the overall economic activity of the cruise ship trade exceeds the economic activity of the dive business by many multiples. I would not be surprised if more money was wasn't spent on snorkeling as opposed to diving. Already I believe that for accommodations there are many more non-divers renting rooms than divers. Divers are part of the local culture and character in Cozumel as were fisherman and loggers in Monterey, Portland and Seattle. Hopefully for the extended future we will continued to be accommodated, celebrated and accepted by the community.
Back in November there were spot shortages of tank fills from Marinando because of a late night noise curfew was imposed on them so they could not fill tanks in the middle of the night.

I am sure that divers will always be welcome on Cozumel, even if they comprise a diminishing segment of the income producing steam of the Cozumel tourism industry.

The island's future seems to be in reinventing itself, something it has done many times before. Prior to tourism, Cozumel's economy was first based on trade (the Maya sea trade routes), then weaving, honey and pig production (1500s), then dyewood (1600s-1700s), then cotton and hardwoods (early 1800s), then the slave trade (1850s), then fruit, tobacco and chicle (1880s-1930s), then henequen (1910s-1930s), all before the tourism bandwagon took off in the late 1950s.

There is another hotel project that has been planned, but not funded. That is the Barbachano project on the northeast side of the island. People insist of calling it the "Trump" project since Fernando Barbachano once approached the Trump organization for funding and partnership, but it is Barbachano land and it is Barbachano's plan, not Trump's. The plan is still waiting for investors. Here are some of the info they put out about the planned project:

At build-out the property will include:
10 hotels - 2,868 rooms
230 acres and nearly 13 miles of lagoons and canals
2 shopping, cafe, restaurant and entertainment districts
2 marinas with boating and aircraft services
amphibious aircraft landing area
18 hole championship golf course and training academy
1,210 residences in the form of casitas and villas
10 miles of white sandy beaches
20 minute boat ride to world class fishing
3 beach installations for the Cozumelenos
6 private beach clubs
Marine wildlife preserve with Dolphin Discovery & Sea Turtle farm/release experience
Spas & Fitness Clubs
Equestrian & Polo Grounds
30 miles of hiking and biking trails
Health & Medical tourism facilities
Wastewater sewage treatment facilities which provide water for golf course irrigation using a multi-stage centralized water mining plant, which returns "black water" (sewer water) to A+ quality fit for human contact
Initial multi-stage decentralized satellite water mining plant for individual homes, which returns "black water" (sewer water) to A+ quality fit for human contact
Centralized desalinization facilities for drinking water
Solar roofing & photovoltaic film on glass on all homes and commercial buildings
2 wind farms to supply energy to the project and resale to the island, initially 7.2mw & 24mw in the later phase
Lushly landscaped gardens and preserves
Previous streets with landscaped & divided median parkway
Logistics and services port
Aircraft hangar & marine services facilities

Here are some of the architects' drawings:

cozumel-punta-arrecifes-presentation-3-728.jpg

cozumel-punta-arrecifes-presentation-4-728.jpg

cozumel-punta-arrecifes-presentation-10-728.jpg

cozumel-punta-arrecifes-presentation-11-728.jpg

cozumel-punta-arrecifes-presentation-12-728.jpg

cozumel-punta-arrecifes-presentation-13-728.jpg

cozumel-punta-arrecifes-presentation-14-728.jpg

As much as I would hate to see that part of the Island developed, That design looks nice enough to even make me want to become a time share sales person or a bartender at one of the swim up bars.

I suppose the idea of floating/in the water cabanas is nice but won't make it past the first risk study—I seem to remember hurricanes in Cozumel. The other design being so close to the water reminds me of the ruins at Punta Chiceros (SP) near Chen Rio which was wiped out by Hurricane Gilbert in 1988. Only thing left are some low stone walls. I don't expect such a project soon.

Dave

Won't Cozumel's newly-discovered mountain range protect those cabanas ?

Those of you familiar with Cozumel, from a dive tourist's perspective, where would these hotels 'fit' in terms of niche? IIRC, the best mainstream diving is down south - even staying a bit north can take a person out of ready walking access to the main town, yes? (I'm thinking of a thread about the region where Aldora Villas is). And am I jumping to an unfounded assumption from the pics that these are apt to be more expensive places?

So, will these appeal to the diving tourist much?

Richard.

Agreed, those concept photos aren't catering to the 'Funjet specials' crowd. I can envision there being a tourist tax imposed to fund a protective wall to keep out the riff-raff. :)

Like Cancun.

Hopefully the extra construction / pollution / trash / human impacts won't leave Cozumel with Cancun-like reefs as well

From looking at the pier and the palapa on the water, this looks like the old Cabanas del Caribe site.

Right. The old CdC hotel site is divided in two sections. The new Westin sits on the southern section. The northern section is reserved for a new project of condominiums. There is also a plan to construct condos across the road on the golf course.

Below are the plans for the Sheraton south of Sky Reef, where they put in the two new by-pass roads:

cozumel-sheraton-plan.jpg

From looking at the pier and the palapa on the water, this looks like the old Cabanas del Caribe site.

Was it "Sol Cabanas del Caribe?"

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom