A couple of new hotels on Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Graduado

Contributor
Reaction score
The Westin Hotel project on the north end of the island by Playa Azul is back on track and will be finished soon. It also looks like the hotel project for Isla de la Pasion is back on the front burner. The road that leads to Laguna Ciega is being paved and the architect for the hotel project is the same one that did the Hotel Presidente in Cozumel in 1969, Sordo Madeleno. Here are a few of the architect’s renderings:

ISLA_PASION_SMA_PRINT_RENDER_by_CGVeron_02_website_A1.jpg

3C_ISLA_PASION_SMA_PRINT_RENDER_by_Lourdes_del_Rio.jpg

ISLA_PASION_SMA_PRINT_RENDER_by_CGVeron_05.jpg

Note the mountains in the background. The artist obviously has never been to Cozumel!

916fd3dbf8fbede06a71bdc3485ea753.jpg
155647.jpg

I suppose the idea of floating/in the water cabanas is nice but won't make it past the first risk study—I seem to remember hurricanes in Cozumel. The other design being so close to the water reminds me of the ruins at Punta Chiceros (SP) near Chen Rio which was wiped out by Hurricane Gilbert in 1988. Only thing left are some low stone walls. I don't expect such a project soon.

Dave

Yeah, it doesn't seem to be a safe bet, but I'll bet they will complete it anyway. The environmental studies for the hotel passed, and I imagine that is why the new 95 million peso road is being built. There is already another over-water hotel open and operating in Quintana Roo. It is at Punta Marmona between Puerto Morelos and Playa del Carmen.

El Dorado Marmona.jpg

They have rebuilt a lot of the structures at Chiqueros since the hurricanes. You just can't see most of them from the road or sea for the trees. It is private property and you can only go there by invitation, but you can check it out and see the buildings on Google earth.

Those of you familiar with Cozumel, from a dive tourist's perspective, where would these hotels 'fit' in terms of niche? IIRC, the best mainstream diving is down south - even staying a bit north can take a person out of ready walking access to the main town, yes? (I'm thinking of a thread about the region where Aldora Villas is). And am I jumping to an unfounded assumption from the pics that these are apt to be more expensive places?

So, will these appeal to the diving tourist much?

Richard.

Passion Island is farther north than any of the existing development.
Over the water resorts are more for people that prefer to look at the water than get in it, because they don't want to get their hair wet or ruin their $400 bikini.

I might've understood the overwater units at CocoView Resort in Roatan, but those things in the 2nd pic in Post #1 appear designed to basically turn the sea into a swimming pool complete with wooden decking.

So why not swim in the pool?

Richard.

I’m not sure what the percentage is of diver’s to non-divers overnighting on Cozumel is these days, but I would imagine it is not as high as some people on this board might think. The island’s target market is no longer divers and hasn’t been for some time. Although divers are most welcome and provide a large part (not largest part) of the tourist dollars that power the local economy, the government and the hotel investors would probably rather see more families and “big-spender” couples visit Cozumel. The island has an awful lot of low-end to medium quality accommodations already. The world’s other island resorts seem to be looking towards the high-end market for their future. Look at Palau. Used to be the name Palau was synonymous with diving. Now, they have decided the hordes of divers and Chinese tourists are wearing them down and they want to be more selective. Saw this article the other day: Jan. 10, 2017 – New legislation aimed at turning Palau into a luxury destination is to be put before the incoming congress which comes into power next week. The proposed law will restrict future investment to five-star hotel chains. The legislation is part of the president Tommy Remengesau's vision to reduce tourist numbers and increase tourist spending. President Remengesau says the new law, which he aims to have passed within the first 100 days of the new government's tenure, will include tax incentives for potential investors.

Other island destinations seem to be leaning in the same direction.

As far as the Westin and the Isla de Pasion hotels being far from the southern dive sites, I doubt that that even came up in the planning. I don’t believe they are aiming for divers. They are looking to sell to people who want a very nice room, excellent service, sandy beaches, clear water, and being in Mexico without “being in Mexico.”

As far as the Westin and the Isla de Pasion hotels being far from the southern dive sites, I doubt that that even came up in the planning. I don’t believe they are aiming for divers. They are looking to sell to people who want a very nice room, excellent service, sandy beaches, clear water, and being in Mexico without “being in Mexico.”
Like Cancun.

Here is the new Westin. 15 stories, 156 rooms. Next door to Playa Azul Hotel.

Westin Cozumel.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom