A career in Diving???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While your out there looking for a diving career I would suggest you steer clear of commercial diving. I had been a commercial diver in Louisiana for nearly 10 years. Granted the pay was much better than what you could expect if your instrucing or guiding people on recreational dives, but in comparision for amount of time away from family and friends, the danger and generally hazardous life style it is not enough. Also, down south if your name isn't Thibeadaux or Boudro don't expect to advance very fast in a commercial diving occupation. Occassionally I had dives where the visibility was more than a couple of feet. But not often. Unless you want to loose the magic that first infects you when you first start diving stay away from oilfield or construction diving.

Blue,

I've been looking into internships in Thailand. There was one in Pattaya. Would you recommend any in peticular in any area of Thailand? Can you give me any input on ease of placement after the internship is completed?

Appreciate any help.

Blue Kangaroo:
oh one other thing,

I don't want to piss on your chips but be very careful who you sign up with for internship - always remember you are not a dive slave. There are plenty of paying jobs - better to pay for the DM out of your savings, than have to work it off - trust me !

There are loads of rather unscrupulous ( spelling ?) shops willing to exploit keen new Dm's and Instructors. There are also loads of great outfits looking for great people.

Blue.

Howdy Vic! :sunny

Welcome to SB!! :happywave Put us in your favorites and check in often. This is a great place to learn, compare, argue :argue:

don
:D

I hopefully can help shine a little light on the subject. I have worked in and around the dive industry for about ten years now. I worked in a Dive Center in Denver Colorado for the first six years becoming an instructor after 1&1/2 years. This allowed me to lead trips the Center sponsored to many worldwide destinations as part of my job there were many responsibilities involved but it was worth it. Early on I decided I wanted to focus on Underwater Photography.

More recently I worked on the Liveaboard "Nekton Pilot" as DM/Instructor/Photo pro for about a year with the intent of becoming a professional underwater photographer. This is not an easy road but I still love it. Right now I am developing my U/W photo website (eyefathom.com) to sell my images. Haven't sold much so far. Then I figured I needed to develop some credibility so I entered 5 Major competitions this year, so far I have two 1st places one 3rd place and two HM with results from two yet to come.

To get to the point, I have spent the majority of the last two years in front of a computer in a basement to make this happen. But I'm optimistic I will soon be working as a Photo pro/Instructor some where in the South Pacific (My Favorite).
There is as website specifically for Dive Jobs (http://www.diversjobs.com/)
Excellent for diving job opportunities. With hard work and a plan you can make your dreams happen.
Good Luck
John

Thriving on irrational exuberance

Hey all,

Guidebooks, written by some of the world's most wellknown PADI Course Directors, about how to work around the world as a dive professional will be coming out in early 2007! One will cover Oz, SEA, and Central America (including a special section on Grand Cayman). You'll have everything you need to know to make the move abroad, locate employment and live your dream!

Hey Divingbliss,

Been looking for a book like that for ages! Any idea who's publishing it, and if they've decided on a title yet?

Cheers

If I had it to do over again...

I would have learned Japanese instead of Spanish in high school, become an instructor at 20 and taken my pick of working at resorts throughout the south-Pacific. Oh, to know what I know now back then. And I would have bought lots of shares of Micosoft.:wink:

But now, I am stuck going to Maui for two weeks starting July 9th. What did I do to deserve this cruel fate!!!!:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

jerrilsan:
While your out there looking for a diving career I would suggest you steer clear of commercial diving. I had been a commercial diver in Louisiana for nearly 10 years. Granted the pay was much better than what you could expect if your instrucing or guiding people on recreational dives, but in comparision for amount of time away from family and friends, the danger and generally hazardous life style it is not enough. Also, down south if your name isn't Thibeadaux or Boudro don't expect to advance very fast in a commercial diving occupation. Occassionally I had dives where the visibility was more than a couple of feet. But not often. Unless you want to loose the magic that first infects you when you first start diving stay away from oilfield or construction diving.

...sorry to hear your career in the deeps was a bust; now myself, well my 10 years living "THE LIFE" was one helluva trip. You needed to drag up out of the Gulf & see the world Ladddie! I was doing n.d.t. over in Indonesia in water so clear you thought there was nothing but air beneath you!

...Hey Victoria - can you see yourself in "Marnies" place inside that diving bell?

Regards,
DSD

Talk about a resurrected thread!!!!!!!!! This one was started 3 years ago!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom