A career as a dive instructor - realistic or idealistic?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirenita:
Just a quick update! I have been here in Thailand for about 3 weeks now! ... everything is looking bright!
Thanks for the update. I look forward to future reports. Remember to keep your priorities straight.

1. Am I enjoying myself
2. Am I safe
3. Am I still learning
4. other considerations​

Willie

Good to hear you are doing ok, one thing you may want to put at the top of your priority list as you are going to be spending a lot of time in the water and working hard is your health. remember the average life of a dive instructor (working life of course :) ) is about 2 years, you may do so many courses and so much diving then get so much work after your IDC that you start to neglect it and start to suffer from Instructor Burnout, simply advice is drink loads (water and juice I mean that will allow you to enjoy the odd beer ) , try to eat something uncooked / unprocessed once in a while (Thai food can be very healthy and cheap) Dont dive if your body says it doesnt want to, your ears are delicate things, watch for infections and dont force equalizations (i have heard of 2 instructors perforating their eardrum so far this year) Remember you are not on holiday and cannot burn the candle at both ends.

I am looking forward to hearing about your happy new career as it progresses

James

Hi Siren,

Say Hi for me to Adam Pierce, Steve B2, Desi, Phill B and Ian, for me. They are a a wonderful batch of people and I enjoyed diving with them. Did you visit walking street yet ? You will have a great time I'm sure.

I have a friend that is in Utila right now, doing the same thing as you. If I weren't married, and a father, I would have been with him on this trip.

Best of luck to you, and congratulations on your decision. Let us all know where you end up, maybe someday you will be taking us diving.

The Moment I can get hold of 3000 US I'm catching a plane for Thailand to complete my IDC/IE/ EFRI/EANXI . Just finished my DM and currently broke.

Sounds like you are having a awsome time! There are many others just like your self all round the world walking the same path as you at the moment! I am one of them in Perth Western Australia - My next step is IDC and IE... just got my books.. my God! Just a little reading to say the least! Good luck with your rescue course... for me it was the most physically challenging but satisfying course in the whole process... So far :)

Sirenita:
Just a quick update! I have been here in Thailand for about 3 weeks now! It has certainly been a rollercoaster journey...but I am beginning to feel like I could belong to this place...for 6 months anyway!

Kick back and enjoy!

Thai people are so friendly, and the other divers are good fun...some maybe a little crazy, but so far, everything is looking bright! Newly qualified instructors leave here to go to pre-arranged jobs worldwide every week, so I have faith I will do the same in 6 months![/QUOTE]

Ah, six months.... that would be right in our busy time and I know my LDS will be looking for people around Nov/Dec so if I hear of anything then I'll let you know.

andydiver06:
Hi Siren,

As you will be doing your Rescue EFR soon here my file.

Ha ha, as I am reading this (in Mermaids locker room) Harvey just looked over my shoulder and took an interest...he is very impressed!

Adam has left for the US, but will say hello to everyone else!
Ran into Purple hammerhead (from scuba board) in the dive shop reception a few days ago! How funny...this guy looked at me and said...you're Lisa? Obviously a good likeness to my photo hehe ...Nice to see you Mr Hammerhead :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom