A busy weekend at Blue Hole!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really nice!! So what do you use for editing? You make me want to get a video camera now.... :shocked2:

So, what the heck was Scott doing with the tape? Seeing how long he'd been down?

no, really?

Really nice!! So what do you use for editing? You make me want to get a video camera now.... :shocked2:

So, what the heck was Scott doing with the tape? Seeing how long he'd been down?

no, really?

Scott said he had to take down a tape measure to the snorkel and do something for the City. I didn't ask what. Maybe they are planning to replace it or wanted to know how big that hole is on the back side. :confused: I would ask him, but this week he is in Alaska for a week of diving on the Nautilus Explorer, $#@&*#!

mintaka - I am not sure what you are asking. Dates and times of what? The "busy weekend" was last weekend, July 25-26th. Is that it?

robin:D

Hi Robin,

Wow! The video was just like being there. That HD is impressive even over the internet. I did a double take, first thinking the tanks and gear on a few divers looked similar to mine, then I recognized myself and my sons.

FYI: I have to spend 2 weeks at the factory in Pomona (bummer), but they are separted by a weekend so I spending next weekend on the Great Escape doing a preview of the Labor Day trip (San Clemente and Catalina).

I use Pinnacle Ultimate v.12 for editing. One big cost for video is the computer! In order to import and edit these enormous files, you must have a new, very fast computer, quad core, with tons of memory. We thought it would work on our 2yr old computer but it didn't. The first time I went to edit the whole thing was in slow motion and jerky. Not enough uumph to get the job done. So we had to go buy a new one and the old one is the one I am using right now for our "internet" computer. The new computer is just for editing video and Ron's photos. :wink:
total cost of my upgrade to HD = $900 HG21 camcorder, $200 accessories(larger battery and charger), $900 Ikelite housing, $1200 computer, $125 software. Do your research on camcorders before you buy - I got a great one with low light capability, there are some nice ones with high ratings for topside sunlight but suck underwater!

Another thing to remember, if you are looking at going over to video - time! Video is 5-10% underwater shooting, and 90-95% sitting in front of your computer doing the editing. It takes hours and hours and hours to edit a 3-minute video. You must sit and watch all your clips, then start picking clips to use, the start trimming the clips, then watch them again, then rearrange them and watch them again, then pick out music to use and watch them again with the music, then rearrange them again to see how they flow with the music, add in any special editing to individual clips like white balance correction, speed adjustment, color adjustment..... and on it goes. Once you get everything the way you want it, then you have to "render" the video. That 6+ minute video took about 3 hours of running time in the software to create the actual video once I was done with the minimal editing I did on it. Overall, I would say I spent 10-12 hours on that video. Most of my other videos I have spent double that as I did more clip editing/color correction/ WB/speed adj.

I love love love video and I am not trying to discourage you.... I just want you to know the difference between still photo and video. Video is much more time consuming topside!

Ouch! I figured that would be the case, just not that time intensive.... :shakehead: I spend enough time just doing the stills.

I need to get another strobe that will do TLL and not a dumb slave before the next trip, so it will have to wait for awhile anyway. Thanks for the response!

Ouch! I figured that would be the case, just not that time intensive.... :shakehead: I spend enough time just doing the stills.

I need to get another strobe that will do TLL and not a dumb slave before the next trip, so it will have to wait for awhile anyway. Thanks for the response!

Yeah, I can't tell you how many people have asked me about buying a video camera and I give them the same response. Then they look at me like I am nuts and say "geez, we had a guy shoot video of us on vacation and we picked up the DVD later that day". So then I explain to them that that guy used a bunch of stock footage he already had edited with music, he already had most of the video put together and just inserted several clips with them in it. Not what they wanted to hear! I was warned about all this before I moved over to video, but I was excited about it as I love doing this computer editing stuff. But then again, I have the time!!! People with full-time jobs would really be crunched to get something put together in a few days time like I can do. :D

What still camera are you shooting with?

Hi Robin,

Wow! The video was just like being there. That HD is impressive even over the internet. I did a double take, first thinking the tanks and gear on a few divers looked similar to mine, then I recognized myself and my sons.

FYI: I have to spend 2 weeks at the factory in Pomona (bummer), but they are separted by a weekend so I spending next weekend on the Great Escape doing a preview of the Labor Day trip (San Clemente and Catalina).

Thanks Doug! I am very pleased with the HD resolution, especially with that crappy vis and low light. And I am so jealous you will be out there diving again with Capt Tim. Tell him we said Hi.

Scott said he had to take down a tape measure to the snorkel and do something for the City. I didn't ask what. Maybe they are planning to replace it or wanted to know how big that hole is on the back side. :confused: I would ask him, but this week he is in Alaska for a week of diving on the Nautilus Explorer, $#@&*#!

mintaka - I am not sure what you are asking. Dates and times of what? The "busy weekend" was last weekend, July 25-26th. Is that it?

Yes..that was it, I wasnt sure which weekend it was...thanks Robin

pretty cool. water clearer than I imagined.

Q: what's the round grate thingy at the bottom?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom