a bit nervous after completing OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nay:
Underwater Navigation: I think this one is required for the AOW. I didn't enjoy the dive at all but it makes you do skills you need to know. I would actually like to do it again and try it all again. I can do most of those skills on my own but I want to swim the 100' rope again counting kick cycles and timing myself.

If we're talking PADI, do the Navigator speciality course. I have taken most of them, and this is one of the best if done correctly. You will feel much better about "finding" yourself :D

MD

The Kracken:
Geez, I wish I could afford to build a pool for divers only - about 30' deep, steps, platforms, etc. Anyone want to go into business?

I own a pool company, that would be an expensive pool. At one end we could build a simulated beach entry, that would be cool. Oooo and we could instal a Baja Swim jet to make any current we want... :crafty:

OK sorry for highjacking this thread. Bye. :10:

The Kracken:
It's a natural sensation . . . apprehension of the unknown.
As you're gearing up just use a bit of Zen and mentally prepare yourself for the dive.

But always remember, you DON"T HAVE TO MAKE THE DIVE. There is no shame in calling a dive.

Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.

I completely agree with teh philosophy of I DON'T HAVE TO MAKE THIS DIVE. I was so apprensive on my first boat dive that I actually loaded all my equipment on the boat and then offloaded it 30 minutes later and did an extra weekend inthe pool. I also only made 1 out of 3 dives the next week, but then 3 dives the following.

I'm still a newbie (only 30 dives), but it gets better with each dive. It helped to have good instructors who let me go at my own pace. I'm now pretty comfortable about jumping in to deep end but always in control and never exceeding my training.

Good luck

i strongy suggest you take the Peak Performace Buoyancy Course immediately. this helps solves a lot of stress to new divers

Well I did dive #7 yesterday evening down to 60 ft, it was pretty neat, my buddy & I were hovering about 20 ft off the bottom, next to the hull of the wreck and I was thinking to myself, this is surreal, I'm just hovering here in mid-water. I can see why astronauts train underwater. It was cool, yet a little scary too, and I can't imagine what it would be like to hover at your desired or max depth when you CAN'T see the bottom below you. I think I'll wait a (long) while before I do one of those...

Like a good newbie, when we hit the bottom of the guide rope, I did a modified fin pivot to get my neutral buoyancy, and I did all right. My buddy thought I was in trouble 'cause it took me a while to get it (I'm still wearing too much weight), but I gave him the OK, and things went quite well from there, except one time when I floated up a little too much (took too deep a breath when I was going over a deck rail and back down along the side).

BTW, I wasn't nervous at all once I got to the dock, in fact I was a little impatient because we left so late! I'm beginning to wonder whether my feeling ill has more to do with having swallowed some St. Lawrence river water than actual nerves. Not that I'm not still a bit unnerved. I really think once I get more familiar with the sites, I'll feel a lot better about doing these dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom