a bit nervous after completing OW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CUunderH2O

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi all,

I got certified a couple of weekends ago, and have done one shore dive since then, and am diving again tonight after work. I've got a little problem, however: I'm feeling rather nervous before these dives (the one last week, too). I think it may have something to do with the fact that when I did my Discover Scuba (2 boat dives) in the Caribbean a few months ago; it had beautiful conditions and I was completely relaxed, taking photos and all. But diving in the St. Lawrence river is completely different. The viz here is not great, there's a current, and I can't see the bottom so I feel a bit nervous before I get in, so much that I feel sick to my stomach the day of and evening before a dive. Oddly enough, once I get in the water, I feel better. Anyone experienced similar feelings when they're starting out in a not-so-ideal environment?

It's not that I don't feel comfortable with any of the things we did, like mask clearing, reg recovery, etc. I did well with those and feel comfortable. I know I need to work on my neutral buoyancy, like any good newbie diver. I wear a hood so I don't get cold.

I think I've done well by joining the LDS's dive club, with dive outings 2x/week. I've also buddied with a more experienced diver who's working on his DM course, so I think that's helping a bit. I don't think I'd feel comfortable with any of the other people from my OW, at least not yet. Part of it has to do with the fact that none of us is familiar with any of the local dives sites yet, except for the beach where we did our OW dives. I'm looking forward to the dive, yet I'm feeling nauseous at the same time...

I think I'll feel better after I'm more familiar with the dive sites around here, but I'm also afraid I got spoiled with the nice reefs, great viz, etc. on my dives down south!

I'm pretty new too, and I get a little nervous, but I figure a little fear/respect for the water probably wont hurt you, but will keep you from doing something stupid and killing yourself.

Try taking AOW. My AOW instructors attitude was that we were already certified divers and he was just there to guide us in getting experience in dealing with emergencies and diving in certain environments(night, deep, current). AOW really helped build my confidence as a diver and introduced me to a few new dive sites.

It's a natural sensation . . . apprehension of the unknown.
As you're gearing up just use a bit of Zen and mentally prepare yourself for the dive.

But always remember, you DON"T HAVE TO MAKE THE DIVE. There is no shame in calling a dive.

Discretion is sometimes the better part of valor.

Yeah, I figure a bit of fear is a good thing. And I'm not looking to break the world depth record, either. I will be signing up for the AOW course in early August. My dive buddy says it will help with buoyancy issues and will make me more comfortable diving. I think it will help, too.

Taking the AOW course is definately a big help. I have logged over 30 dives in the last 3 months and being in Texas they have all been in low viz. I have found that knowing the area and knowing my gear has been a big help. I have walked though I don't know how many scenarios in my mind of what could go wrong and what I could do to correct the problem. I think the thing that helped me the most was that after I got my OW cert. a buddy and I went out and stayed under teh water till we sucked our tanks dry. Of course this wasn't a problem since we were only at 25 feet. Just spending the time under allowed me to do things like play with my bouyancy, gear placement, trim and such. It really helped me become comfortable in the new environment.
I had several people say that I should have surfaced every 20-30 minutes so that I could have logged more dives, but I feel that just spending the uninterupted time under the water did much more than racking up numbers in a book would have done.

Garyra:
till we sucked our tanks dry. Of course this wasn't a problem since we were only at 25 feet.

I hope this was a figure of speech. You can drown in 2" of water.
Other than that, good advice. The best way to get comfortable with diving is by diving. And good thoughts on not just trying to build dives. Its not so much the number, its what you do with them.

MD

CUunderH2O:
I will be signing up for the AOW course in early August.

Pay attention to what dives you are offered as part of the AOW. Some of them are less useful than others.

Good luck,

MD

Geez, I wish I could afford to build a pool for divers only - about 30' deep, steps, platforms, etc. Anyone want to go into business?

The Kracken:
Geez, I wish I could afford to build a pool for divers only - about 30' deep, steps, platforms, etc. Anyone want to go into business?

Too humid in GA :wink:

<QUOTE>Pay attention to what dives you are offered as part of the AOW. Some of them are less useful than others.
</QUOTE>

Which dives are more useful? I'm thinking the night, deep, drift and u/w navigator ones would be good. Drysuit, too, since a lot of people dive dry around here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom